Kishu Juniper

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I picked up two kishu junipers from Chikugo-En this summer. The other tree has more character so I am saving it to wire last this fall once I've gotten my hands dirty with the others. I've never had the chance to work on a juniper that was this ready to be styled as I've mostly worked small shimpakus with sparse foliage without a need to remove much of anything. Needless to say this is a little daunting. This fall, I went ahead and thinned and removed about 25% of the foliage and wired it into a basic shape. I will probably need to come back next fall and re-wire as I didn't do the greatest job, although there is still time this fall to continue wiring. The apex is a bit of a challenge for me as there is a lot going on up there and its is difficult to get my hands in there to wire. My basic novice approach with this tree was to remove weak growth, and reduce the ends to two pairs of growing tips. In some cases I left three. The apex I have kind of taken a pause on before moving forward further. I didn't wire out every last branch. I wouldn't say I'm finished wiring/styling this tree for the fall, but I think it looks okay for now. I placed the drop branch in there just for the sake of it as I thought it created a more pleasing image for now but it might get jinned in the future. Obviously my wiring is critique worthy, but I'm just curious on other opinions if you'd remove more foliage, move or remove some branches, etc. My plan is to half bare root this in late spring and get it in a container. The soil it is currently in is very sandy.

Would love to hear thoughts, concerns, ideas, etc.

Thank you!

The tree as received
Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 6.15.53 PM.png

After wiring (intended front is the first image, the other angles show some of the lack of design experience lol)
tempImageSngfBi.jpg
tempImage5JEyRR.jpg
tempImageHAqblM.jpg
tempImageZqWiep.jpg

Last edited:

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's the tree currently. I thinned out about a third of the foliage this spring but it's already pretty bushy again. Going to take this to a class in September to see if I can get some assistance with pad creation/definition.

It's been a nice little helmet tree for me so far!

I've been holding onto that weak drop branch in vain. Will probably give it the jin treatment here soon. Time for some shari work too :)

2A5B30EB-071F-4290-8CC7-E28441944A0B_1_105_c.jpeg

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you think the dropbranch is in danger of weakening and want to save it, wire it upward. Longterm you'll need to wire it back into place, but you can see a quick invigoration just by wiring it upward.

I'd remove any foliage hanging down, and clean out any foliage that's weak/not-vigorous. I know the thinking is that strength in junipers comes from the foliage, but I believe its better stated that strength in junipers comes from the foliage tips. Removing weak growth is addition via subtraction as far as strength/vigor goes, ...and allows more light into the interior which further invigorates the tree.

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely tree, well done on being patient and restrained in your styling! I think the tree might look better without the drop branch, its tempting to have that "all over foliage" balance but you might find something else above it can come down a bit. Will look different if/when you wire it out and has less "puffy" pads too.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Talking about reviving a 2-year old thread! Nice progression!

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you think the dropbranch is in danger of weakening and want to save it, wire it upward. Longterm you'll need to wire it back into place, but you can see a quick invigoration just by wiring it upward.

I'd remove any foliage hanging down, and clean out any foliage that's weak/not-vigorous. I know the thinking is that strength in junipers comes from the foliage, but I believe its better stated that strength in junipers comes from the foliage tips. Removing weak growth is addition via subtraction as far as strength/vigor goes, ...and allows more light into the interior which further invigorates the tree.
That's a great idea bwaynef. Thank you! You're right I definitely need to do some cleanup on this guy again as far as downward growth and weak growth.

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lovely tree, well done on being patient and restrained in your styling! I think the tree might look better without the drop branch, its tempting to have that "all over foliage" balance but you might find something else above it can come down a bit. Will look different if/when you wire it out and has less "puffy" pads too.
Yeah I'd definitely like to be able to see into and through this tree a little bit more. I will post an update when this has been wired out in late September. 50/50 chance that drop branch is still there after!

Gert

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
thanks roberthu!

Top Bottom