Kiss fertilizing goodbye as you know it.

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
So I bought the same set up about two weeks ago. I measured my dilution rate at 20 to 1. So far I love it. Thanks smoke! One thing I wonder though, is whether or not it gets clogged as I go. Sometimes at the end of watering I find that it doesn't pull the liquid through once I remove the tube from the bucket. In these cases I wonder if it stopped siphoning somewhere during my watering. But when that happens I figure that tomorrow I'll be watering the same with the same diluted fertilizer so it wouldn't matter if I missed a day.
Thanks Al!
Ian

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
The water flow out the end of your nozzle is very important so much so that when my Masakuni wand got partially clogged it was not enough flow to siphon. If it's not pulling air it won't pull fluid. You can hear it pull the air not to mention you can't help notice the air pulsating out if the nozzle.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I've been experimenting with mine for a few weeks now as well, i've only used the hozon. At first i had it right before a 50 foot hose. I went though about 1 gallon of premixed solution in a week of watering. I realized i wasn't pulling as much as I should have been and was getting sputtering in the line at times.

In order to up the rate it pulled I bought a second 25 foot hose which i placed after my 50 foot hose and i put the hozon in between the two. I use a brass control valve in front of my masakuni nozzle. If the control valve isn't open fully the hozon still doesn't pull at full strength. The problem with that is even with a masakuni nozzle at full pressure on my line thats enough to knock soil out of my pots. What i've started doing is filling up my watering can each time at full pressure with the hozon. Gives you a very strong pull and I can go through a full 5 gallon bucket of solution in 2 days of watering vs seven days when it's before my 50 foot hose. I'm using .5 cup of gropower plus, a small amount of kelp as gropower is low in the K range and kelp is high in the K range and low in the N and P ranges, and a few tablespoons of azomite for micronutrients. Once the watering cans filled up it's pretty murky with the pressure issues out of the way. I'm thinking using this much fertilizer every day is too much, so for now I plan to use it once a week and see what results I get. I could just cut the dilution to use it daily or measure it with a TDS meter to see what strength the hozon is making it compared to full strength.

I do not use the hozon on developed trees as I prefer to monitor whats going into each one more accurately, but I am using it for all the younger stock i'm growing out now. When I was up in Portland at M. Hagedorns this spring someone asked about siphons. He doesn't use one at all. He fertilizes every tree by hand as more developed older trees don't need as many nutrients and you don't want rapid leggy growth on an older developed tree you just want to maintain it's health and vigor. Younger trees need rapid growth to evolve and heavy fertilizing may be beneficial, weak trees have special needs, newly repotted trees might only get kelp or nothing at all.

Last edited:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yep, they were very clear about the distance from the output as well as the minimum flow requirement. I went through the same problems (if only I read instruction and really follow them) LOL :p

I think mine go thought 2 gallons of mixed concentrate in less than 15 minutes. I carry the concentrate and my wand is connected to the Hozon.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update on the fertilizing device.

I have disconnected it for good. It works too good for me.

I have always worked with very controlled fine growth and developed trees well on regular fertilizing regimens with great success. This works unbelievably well, but also builds very long coarse growth and should be reserved for ground growing or growing out in large containers where trunk building is needed.

This is an unpruned pyracantha that has been watered with the device. During my wifes cancer treatments all I have been able to do is water my trees. They are all large bushes currently and I am just now able this past week to go out and look them over closely

Attachments

• DSC_00340011.jpg
    DSC_00340011.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is after about an hour.
Hey! theres a tree in there.

Attachments

• DSC_00350012.JPG
    DSC_00350012.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 68

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That tree is looking great! Must have been a joy to give it a huge haircut after not being able to spend time recently.

Top Bottom