Kiss fertilizing goodbye as you know it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The suction line is 1/4 inch ID. Probably about two feet long. The venturi is hose threads on each end. I think that may be 3/4 FIP. I'm using a 100 foot 5/8 hose.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Just a word of advice for anyone using this (I am a plumber and sirens are going of in my head right now). Please use some form of backflow prevention when you are injecting anything directly into your water system.

At the very least one of these will work for only a couple of bucks:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202369987?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202369987

There are better ways but at least that bad boy will make sure any of that fertilizer doesn't make it's way back into you drinking water, or the public system. Also, many municipalities have codes regarding these devices and hand out heavy fines for infractions.

Ok, enough of my rant. It looks like a great idea, just want to make sure everyone stays safe using it.

Thanks,

Tyler
From http://www.dramm.com/html/main.isx?sub=458

3. Why is there a square plastic piece inside of the syphonject?

Answer

A. This plastic piece is part of an anti-siphon system required by the federal government. If for some reason the pressure is lost from the water source instead of the fertilizer bleeding into the water system it will leak out of the hole on the side of the syphonject.

Interesting to see this thread as I've recently picked one of these up myself. As for questions of dilution ratio, they explain (at the link I gave above) that this needs to be individually tested because it depends on a variety of factors.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hozon also have a built in backflow preventer....did I mention it is SOLID BRASS and MADE IN THE USA!?!?! :D

http://hozon.com/

One caveat & warning...IF you close the spigot and leave the Hozon connected (or maybe I left the spigot open but the hose valve by the wand is closed)...it can siphon all your mix and bleed it out the backflow preventer spill hole. It happened to me the first week and killed a patch of my lawn. :mad:

Attachments

• Hozon.jpg
    Hozon.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Hozon also have a built in backflow preventer....did I mention it is SOLID BRASS and MADE IN THE USA!?!?! :D

One caveat & warning...IF you close the spigot and leave the Hozon connected (or maybe I left the spigot open but the hose valve by the wand is closed)...it can siphon all your mix and bleed it out the backflow preventer spill hole. It happened to me the first week and killed a patch of my lawn. :mad:

it killed a patch of your lawn?! I thought I just read somewhere on here yesterday that you cannot kill a tree with too much fertilizer!? Wasn't you I know, just sayin'

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
it killed a patch of your lawn?! I thought I just read somewhere on here yesterday that you cannot kill a tree with too much fertilizer!? Wasn't you I know, just sayin'

LOL...yep, read it I know what you mean. ;)

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Al can you specify the Gro power product you are using and perhaps even take a pic? :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
do i really have to go to that god forsaken place? ok i will

I would have posted it here if I was home. I am sitting in an outhouse at a job right now on my smar.. Crap... You'll never guess where I just dropped it...

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Al can you specify the Gro power product you are using and perhaps even take a pic? :)

I am holding the bag in avatar at study group

do i really have to go to that god forsaken place? ok i will

I would have posted it here if I was home. I am sitting in an outhouse at a job right now on my smar.. Crap... You'll never guess where I just dropped it...

To keep anyone from having "to go to that god forsaken place" it looks like its likely this:
http://gropower.com/product_pages/gp_plus_product.htm

but possibly this:
http://gropower.com/product_pages/gp_plus_wm.htm

Al, I have a question for you. The Syphonject recommends mixing 20x stronger than called for as its resultant mix is 20:1. I'm planning on watering with this mix ...and I tend to have to water daily, so I'm planning to divide that recommendation(20x) by the number of days(7) I plan to water each week. So I'll mix @ roughly 3x the called-for rate (20/7 ~= 3).

What are YOU planning to put in your fertilizer mix, ...and at what strength? Is this going to replace your previous fertilizing efforts, or will you be using this in addition to something?

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
I have purchased both the dramm plastic injector and the brass injector(I have two hose bibs to water all my trees) and after a week the plastic one has blown a gasket and no longer siphons. I know it's a pretty simple design but it has failed, similar to the dramm multi-nozzle that I bought that didn't work the day I bought it but the identical replacement one seems to work great. I ordered another brass siphon as it was clearly the victor in my case. Another note to mention is that gropower doesn't dissolve very well in water without assistance(I crush it similar to a mortar and pestle) that seems to work pretty well. So far after 3 weeks my trees seem very happy. I watered with fertilizer for 1 week and then 1 week without and again for a week, now off this week

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have purchased both the dramm plastic injector and the brass injector(I have two hose bibs to water all my trees) and after a week the plastic one has blown a gasket and no longer siphons. I know it's a pretty simple design but it has failed,...
Thanks for sharing and doing your own experiment/comparison for others. :)

I thought the option is a no-brainer but others will insist on what they believe even if all data says otherwise. Not my loss. ;)

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a

The bucket looks like it's filled with the blue juice they put in plane toilets and port-o-potties. Gross!!!!!!!!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The bucket looks like it's filled with the blue juice they put in plane toilets and port-o-potties. Gross!!!!!!!!

Yeah but it's not from people! Grew up on a farm and now have my own... I deal with sh!t all the time... but I don't deal with other people's sh!t.

Miracle Grow (water soluble) is like that...take it or leave it. ;)

FYI, the blue thing on those are NOT FROM PEOPLE, they are used to neutralize odor and sanitize the people $hit. ;)

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Miracle Grow (water soluble) is like that...take it or leave it. ;)

FYI, the blue thing on those are NOT FROM PEOPLE, they are used to neutralize odor and sanitize the people $hit. ;)

I was just making a bit of fun. Take it or leave it ;)

Top Bottom