KIWI’S “This is not a contest” Telephone Pole JUNIPER

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@KiwiPlantGuy You made no mention of using rooting hormone on the stripped area.....

Hi Japonicus,
No to the hormone, and the bark stripping was an after thought also.
Also thank you for your comments in your previous post, and I am pleased it is growing well, even though a bit slow.
The cultivar is a Juniper chinensis “Blauws”. Available here and Europe where it was bred.
After 3 years I am hoping to remove the mother part via checking how the roots are developing, hence the blocking board to keep the mother roots out of the raft etc.
Your thought re opening the foliage was my thinking also, and show more trunk and straighten the trunks re viewing from front.
Charles.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
By the time these trunks mature you will hopefully have more experience with wiring and bonsai design in general and be able to do the tree justice.

You mentioned Smoke's $300 thread. If you look in that thread I have posted a picture of my own juniper raft using Blauuws but it's still attached to my stock tree. I'm lazier than yourself lol - no extra watering or box building :)

My advice is to decide on your silhouette early doors, ie will your dominant tree be on the edge or centre? Will it be triangular in shape or a gradual slope from one edge to the other? Once you have a definite plan you can hold back some and promote the growth of others. Variations in height and their accompanying trunk widths add interest and visual depth.

Good luck with your project mate, Blauuws is a great subject for bonsai and grows strongly.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
By the time these trunks mature you will hopefully have more experience with wiring and bonsai design in general and be able to do the tree justice.

You mentioned Smoke's $300 thread. If you look in that thread I have posted a picture of my own juniper raft using Blauuws but it's still attached to my stock tree. I'm lazier than yourself lol - no extra watering or box building :)

My advice is to decide on your silhouette early doors, ie will your dominant tree be on the edge or centre? Will it be triangular in shape or a gradual slope from one edge to the other? Once you have a definite plan you can hold back some and promote the growth of others. Variations in height and their accompanying trunk widths add interest and visual depth.

Good luck with your project mate, Blauuws is a great subject for bonsai and grows strongly.

Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your advice and comments. I can’t seem to find the thread re @Smoke and the $300 material. Wrong search words I guess. Could you or someone share a link please?
Also your advice on design is exactly the kind of thoughts I was hoping someone would give to help me with the project 👍😁.
Charles

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorce

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your advice and comments. I can’t seem to find the thread re @Smoke and the $300 material. Wrong search words I guess. Could you or someone share a link please?
Also your advice on design is exactly the kind of thoughts I was hoping someone would give to help me with the project 👍😁.
Charles

You're welcome. Thanks also for the most excellent @sorce for, well, providing the source!

If you Google juniper raft bonsai and click on the images tab there are several good examples. Pick one that's mature, has a full silhouette and the qualities I discussed earlier and study it. I'd recommend saving it in an 'inspirations' folder for future reference so you know what you're working towards.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
Short update as I checked my wiring from last year. A few trunks had wire biting in, so I removed them all. Slow growth this season, but some good news is that this should be ready to cut off the Mother tree (either this Winter or next Winter)as there are plenty of roots.
0B472C53-4A73-480E-97F7-42C5C67A7D4B.jpeg
You will also notice that I had a brainwave a few days ago. I have used a green Juniper chinensis, and have grafted this to the trunk (Mother half). I used the approach? graft where I have attached this while leaving the other tree in its own pot. I figure this will be the safest way to get a connection.
That way this graft will use the trunk I was going to cut off and throw away!!
36CBB23D-5A1D-4099-ABE7-35821420EEA7.jpeg
58E6688A-7368-41BC-8CD9-E707A9DF1AA9.jpeg
33312FA4-38A8-44D5-9EBA-5292B280A017.jpeg
As far as removing the Bluaaw’s Juniper from its parent, should I wait for the green Juniper to fuse?
Hope this makes sense to all,
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I forgot to add the photo of this all sealed up with the amazing Duct seal.
Looking forward to comments.
Charles

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I had to go back and re-read the thread.

Do not cut off the mother roots ball until after the green shimpaku has fully fused. That will probably be 2 to 3 years. It won't happen instantly.

By the way, I like the foliage of 'Blaauw' junipers, it is like a blue "Shimpaku'. It does tighten up like a shimpaku with time. Nice.

The approach graft is good practice exercise. Keep an eye on the healing process. In reality, green shimpaku cuttings root easily, they are easy to air layer. Learning the approach graft is good for "changing the clothes", changing foliage for large old juniper trunks, or for pines & other purposes. Nice.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I had to go back and re-read the thread.

Do not cut off the mother roots ball until after the green shimpaku has fully fused. That will probably be 2 to 3 years. It won't happen instantly.

By the way, I like the foliage of 'Blaauw' junipers, it is like a blue "Shimpaku'. It does tighten up like a shimpaku with time. Nice.

The approach graft is good practice exercise. Keep an eye on the healing process. In reality, green shimpaku cuttings root easily, they are easy to air layer. Learning the approach graft is good for "changing the clothes", changing foliage for large old juniper trunks, or for pines & other purposes. Nice.

Hi Leo,
Thank you for the comments, as my first approach graft attempt I will watch on eagerly. And I had a stump going to waste why not!
So I guess I won’t be breaking up this box any time soon then, just have to fertilise the raft and start shaping the individual trees.
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, time for an UPDATE two years later.
So I cut this away from the mother tree last winter (Aug 2021), and the approach graft I got impatient with and decided the raft was more important. At the repot I was too scared to do much to the roots so just cut off the mother part and into a smaller box.
Back in January 4 months after repot this was growing well, so I thinned it out, and as of last weekend I started the massive job of putting on some decent wires and do a bit of bend and twist. Because I was not ballsy enough 2 years ago, I didn’t get much movement into the final (?) stage. Now I need to get it growing strongly again to start the pad building and the (which to keep) branches to work with as the photo looks a bit busy.
Hoping @Paulpash , @Smoke , @Japonicus and others would share a comment or three as to what to work on from here. This project is now 4 years old. Here are a couple of photos, including 1 from memory lane and the others from the last 2 weeks.
65B5C1F1-DE24-4D75-B1AD-AA1E869B34A6.jpeg0A138E46-0B0E-4541-A32E-503C1CFD0E26.jpeg
CACF50B5-9798-45F1-96EA-93BA32F09D4E.jpeg
I am very pleased with progress, but long ways to go etc. either this and my experience / skills.
Edit- The two main trunks I am growing out to attempt some better trunk variation/girth.
Charles

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
So I cut this away from the mother tree last winter (Aug 2021), and the approach graft I got impatient with and decided the raft was more important. At the repot I was too scared to do much to the roots so just cut off the mother part and into a smaller box.
Back in January 4 months after repot this was growing well, so I thinned it out, and as of last weekend I started the massive job of putting on some decent wires and do a bit of bend and twist. Because I was not ballsy enough 2 years ago, I didn’t get much movement into the final (?) stage. Now I need to get it growing strongly again to start the pad building and the (which to keep) branches to work with as the photo looks a bit busy.
Hoping @Paulpash , @Smoke , @Japonicus and others would share a comment or three as to what to work on from here. This project is now 4 years old. Here are a couple of photos, including 1 from memory lane and the others from the last 2 weeks.
View attachment 435994View attachment 435995
View attachment 435996
I am very pleased with progress, but long ways to go etc. either this and my experience / skills.
Edit- The two main trunks I am growing out to attempt some better trunk variation/girth.
Charles
Great progress in just a few years. I'd just work on increasing pad density, taking off any growth hanging under the pads and thinning / jinning branches as they extend and fill in.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree! @Paulpash said it best. Pads just need some refinement! I can see you wired so much of the tree, but all of the wire seems to stop before you reach the foliage, it’d really help if you take some much smaller gauge wire and take the time to style all the way to the tips. Lay each pad out flat and remove all downward growth. Naturally, as the foliage fills in it’ll all want to grow upwards and will drastically improve the appearance. It looks to me like you’ve got plenty of foliage to handle that task now! Don’t be surprised if just that part alone takes you hours and hours!! It really is an excellent place for this tree to be though. Kudos on the great start.
View attachment 435996
Charles

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 435996
Charles
I have been away for a few years. Since I was quoted in this thread, I feel I should have something to say. What I wish to say is this. Great use of material that wasn't exactly conducive to anything interesting other to what is done with most long straight material. Jinned top, forest. Bravo for a raft. Now for some comments., like the sweep as in wind, not so sure about the zig inziggy nature of the tops. The trunks should keep with the rightward sweep, not make U turns against the wind. Other than that, nice job so far.

Now the coup de grats, always wonder how material like this is acquired. Did you buy it, or given to you. Dug it, not sure. What I always tell people it to keep their money in their wallet, till the design just screams to you. Screams so loud that when you get home you want to make the first cuts to send it on its way. No asking for opinions, no need for others to second guess you, just the confidence to make that your masterpiece.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have been away for a few years. Since I was quoted in this thread, I feel I should have something to say. What I wish to say is this. Great use of material that wasn't exactly conducive to anything interesting other to what is done with most long straight material. Jinned top, forest. Bravo for a raft. Now for some comments., like the sweep as in wind, not so sure about the zig inziggy nature of the tops. The trunks should keep with the rightward sweep, not make U turns against the wind. Other than that, nice job so far.

Now the coup de grats, always wonder how material like this is acquired. Did you buy it, or given to you. Dug it, not sure. What I always tell people it to keep their money in their wallet, till the design just screams to you. Screams so loud that when you get home you want to make the first cuts to send it on its way. No asking for opinions, no need for others to second guess you, just the confidence to make that your masterpiece.
Good to see you still knocking around? How's the cocktails in Vegas?

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,
Many thanks for all your replies. The positives help the confidence this is going in the right direction.

@Smoke - yep the zig-zag looks off now after more scrutiny. I will correct this soon.

@Hartinez - you talked about wiring the pads to open them out. I guess you are talking about wiring the green growth and not wait til things go woody. Also I am never to sure whether it is 3-4 branchlets before I prune for ramification. Could you help clarify my thinking about these please.

Now I wait til next Summer (Dec/Jan 23) for my next moves.
Charles.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Charles , Any update picture ?
Hi,
Sorry, nothing really to report, as is growing slowly and steadily after it’s decent pruning last Summer.
I have a workshop coming up in April which I plan to get some hands-on help etc. after the convention. The National convention this year is being held in Christchurch and our primary guest demonstrator is David de Groot from USA.
What are you up to at ANZAC weekend?
Charles

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a workshop coming up in April which I plan to get some hands-on help etc. after the convention. The National convention this year is being held in Christchurch and our primary guest demonstrator is David de Groot from USA.
What are you up to at ANZAC weekend?
Sorry can't make it , I have a business which runs 7 days or I could be overseas pending COVID restrictions

Top Bottom