Kiwi’s azaleas - future bonsai

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice! That's quite a lot. And I guess you have rabbits?

I mean the brownish spots on the flowers. The flowers on the kurume all looked flawless. The satsuki with later flowering get warmer weather. They aren't so pristine. But overhead watering, wetting the flowers, will explain it.

I thought that maybe you had just a few and being very curious to see the flowers, you'd likely have sheltered the flowers from rain and direct sunlight. I see one that looks like R.indicum 'Polypetalum'. Not sure if it has a Japanese satsuki name. The others I cannot really ID. Lot's of rounder flowers, though. Seems like the type of satsuki they have in the US.
The white center one likely is Shinnyo no Tsuki. The white centers will get more prominent once the plants get larger.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice Charles! It looks like you are having fun with a whole bunch of azaleas! Well done.

The overhead irrigation is what is likely contributing to early fading out some of these blossoms and possibly starting a bit of petal blight. In the Puget Sound area petal blight is a fact of life unless one brings in every pot out of the rain each time it rains... which would mean a whole lot of moving hither and yon!

So from what I've read your plan is to push these back and not wire, or both.... and yep those Kurumes are pretty brittle. I found it helps to dry the azaleas out for 2-3 days before wiring.. Either way it looks like you are having a whole lot of fun.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this year's display.

best
DSD sends

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice! That's quite a lot. And I guess you have rabbits?

I mean the brownish spots on the flowers. The flowers on the kurume all looked flawless. The satsuki with later flowering get warmer weather. They aren't so pristine. But overhead watering, wetting the flowers, will explain it.

I thought that maybe you had just a few and being very curious to see the flowers, you'd likely have sheltered the flowers from rain and direct sunlight. I see one that looks like R.indicum 'Polypetalum'. Not sure if it has a Japanese satsuki name. The others I cannot really ID. Lot's of rounder flowers, though. Seems like the type of satsuki they have in the US.
The white center one likely is Shinnyo no Tsuki. The white centers will get more prominent once the plants get larger.
Hi,
Rabbits yes, and annoying customers that think they can help themselves. The netting and a large ‘Not for Sale’ is working so far.
As for that Polypetalum variety, I was hoping it might be ‘Kinsai’?, but it is real dwarf.
Thanks for the ID on one of them. I think some maybe Robin Hill hybrids. I am hoping for a print out of what was at the gardens in case it helps. Sadly many of the garden plots within University gardens layout have been ripped out re dated or future building etc.
Charles

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah, definitely some could be Robin Hills. Many of them are satsuki for all practical purposes.

That strap-flower seems not as narrow and more orange-red than Kinsai. Sometimes, it is spelled 'Polypetala'. Not sure if these could be sports of Kinsai. There is like a range of flower types where kinsai is the most extreme in how thin the petals are. Often, the leaves look very similar.
Compare this:
1636399420730.png

To this:
1636399437886.png

Both have similar narrow R.indicum leaves. The flowers are clearly different. The bottom one is definitely Kinsai. The top one I would refer to as Polypetalum/Polypetala.
The colour is not the same, but that might be the picture.

Yeah, I will also fence off my new seedling growing ground. I hear there is a rabbit there sometimes. But the way you describe the customers and with those plants grouped there while in flowers, sounds like I could be a customer that would just walk in and start moving around plants to look at them.

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah, definitely some could be Robin Hills. Many of them are satsuki for all practical purposes.

That strap-flower seems not as narrow and more orange-red than Kinsai. Sometimes, it is spelled 'Polypetala'. Not sure if these could be sports of Kinsai. There is like a range of flower types where kinsai is the most extreme in how thin the petals are. Often, the leaves look very similar.
Compare this:
View attachment 407114

To this:
View attachment 407115

Both have similar narrow R.indicum leaves. The flowers are clearly different. The bottom one is definitely Kinsai. The top one I would refer to as Polypetalum/Polypetala.
The colour is not the same, but that might be the picture.

Yeah, I will also fence off my new seedling growing ground. I hear there is a rabbit there sometimes. But the way you describe the customers and with those plants grouped there while in flowers, sounds like I could be a customer that would just walk in and start moving around plants to look at them.
Hi,
So I took along about 15-20 unnamed cultivars last night to my club meeting. My Satsuki mate thinks the two polypetalum cul
Purple spider -Fuji Mori
Red spider - Sangosai

Also have we talked about the Satsuki book from Janet Droste being worthwhile to purchase. I have bought the “Floral Treasures from Japan” and the book (can’t remember the name) on Satsuki from California, US.
Charles

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ah yes Sangosai. That sounds accurate.

DSD recently mentioned there iwll be a new book on satsuki bonsai released in a while. But I forgot the name.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Janine Droste’s book is good, well rounded. It is meant for the everyday Joe/Josephine Satsuki enthusiasts and does a good job doing this imho it is a bit pricey for US folks dunno about UK.

If you have Floral Treasures by Kennedy already, one may not want to purchase Droste’s book. Both do good jobs.

Rick Garcia, a knowledgeable satsuki professional at North American Satsuki Bonsai Center, has advertised a new book “Satsuki Azalea Bonsai” that’s in editing now that is the likely the new book in the pipeline you mention. Some folks have described it as a definitive guide. Rick advertises it as having “practical, reliable information”. Not sure exactly what the difference is. However these folks might of talked to Rick personally at the recent big bonsai convention and have more information. I signed up for the book to see what all this means.

You can also sign up for Rick’s book see:

Cheers
DSD sends

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice!

Nuccios Wild Cherry is a really nice azalea….available in spurts in the US. Sometimes easy to get, sometimes very hard to acquire.

Nuccio’s Wild Cherry is listed as a Satuski in the Nuccio catalog but shows it’s heritage as (Mme. Alfred Sander [aka ‘Fred Sander’ aka ‘Mrs Frederick Sanders’] which is a Belgian Indian Hybrid x Summer Sun which is listed as a Cooledge hybrid).

Nuccios likes Mme Alfred Sander as they used it in a couple more of their popular azalea crosses…. Nuccio’ Warm Heart and Nuccio’s Polka which are both crosses of (Mme Alfred Sander x Gumpo )

cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom