Kiwi’s darkest day

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You mean I have no more interest in it than you would allow? Yes, a Republic, with laws. You don't like a law? You know how to change it, and that's not by fiat.
My main poiny still stands: an accident (you being born here instead of somewehere else) does not make you different from anyone else. In fact, an argument can be made in favor of those who voluntarily choose to come live here. They probably love this country more than you do, since you never made a choice about whether to be born here or not!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Who decides how much of my country you give away?

I wouldn't put that this way :

I don't have any power whatsoever on the way you as US citizens manage immigration : we have similar problems here, but they're not the same.

Like you, we "can't accept all the misery of the world".

Yet, most of the immigrants that come to Europe are citizens of former colonies that were exploited by European countries, and are still left in a status of dependancy from their former masters who control their resources. In the past, it was slavery, today, it's primary resources in the hands of financial groups. You can't really blame people who want an even share of the cake.

What's more, immigrants, whether legal or undocumented are an indispensable part of the labour force : send all illegals behind the "wall", and the economy of the whole south-west will collapse. Not to mention what immigrants, legal or not, contribute to the economy as consumers.

Once again, yes, it must be controlled, but not in this hateful, racist way some governments do,

One of the differences I might see here and there is, "California, Los Angeles, Monterey, San Francisco, Salinas, San Diego..." : well, isn't that a Hispanic country ?

"ethnically and religiously different "

???

"Urrea opines that one of the sources of the ongoing border conflicts is a fundamentally different understanding of the border itself -- partly due to history. The Spanish word for border, "frontera," means frontier, and connotes not just a boundary or a divider, but also an opening. It points less to itself than to what's beyond. This understanding stems in part from the fact that historically in Mexico (a long narrow country that runs vertically rather than horizontally) the "frontier" has always been north (not west, as in America)."

The Devil's Highway: A True Story By Luis Alberto Urrea - Little, Brown, 239 pp.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I live in Chicago. We do not have the strictest gun laws in the country thanks to cowards like you that pee their pants the second they see their shadows. Since you whiny little bitches went to court and took down the gun laws the gang bangers have not been buying guns in Illinois. All of the illegal guns seized from gang bangers cone from the manly manly states of Indiania, Kentucky and Mississippi.

Our gun laws keep guns out of the hands of criminals. You guys are just tools of the Russian controlled NRA.

In other words :

1/ Although rather "soft", gun laws in Illinois prevent criminals from buying deadly weapons easily

2/ thanks to more lenient states, criminals can continue to kill people in Illinois.

Pretty scary.

But it's true that when people can't get guns, they can always resort to other devices, pipe bombs and other o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom