Kiwi's Small Bald Cypress

SpOoNzL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all,

I Purchased 2 bald cypress trees a few months ago in autumn and have waited for the best time (that I thought) to come along and chop them down.
I decided to chop the thickest trunk one of the 2 that I have and maybe plant the other one in the ground for a few years.
So yesterday It was a nice day and decided to get the job done and chop the big one up.
It had a pretty good root system on a good root plan lower down so end up taking only about 50% of the higher roots off (you can see the scares)
it also had surprisingly good root flare developing lower down (wish I took a pic)

should I have cut lower?

here are the results.

059 is the front.

Attachments

Shibui

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How low to chop really depends on your vision. Low chops add better taper but take longer to grow back to full height. Higer chop can be used if you intend to go for a flat top mature BC style.
That chop will do for now. Wait for all the new shoots to grow a bit then you can choose the best on for a new leader and recut the trunk on an angle to give best taper and direction.
BC and Dawn redwood both seem to grow great basal flare without much help so what you have discovered below ground is normal rather than the exception.
Plenty of water over summer. Even stand the pot in a shallow tray of water for most of summer. These are swamp trees and do not like getting dry.

SpOoNzL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
When I did the trunk chop on this on I also cut all the branches off from the remaining top of it, managed to get about 30-40 branches of cuttings from it. If I manage to get a few to survive ill do a Bald Cypress forest planting. Also the 2nd Bald Cypress I had I didn't end up planting in the ground, I just put it into a bonsai pot. I didn't cut any foliage or roots instead I am trying a tourniquet on it with some 4mm wire. Hopefully it will pop radial roots above the strangled point as the tree grows.

SpOoNzL

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, just wanting to know how long the new shoots need to be to rechop the top of Bald cypress? and should it be done flat or angled (the cut that is). Cheers.

Attachments

KiwiPlantGuy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi all, just wanting to know how long the new shoots need to be to rechop the top of Bald cypress? and should it be done flat or angled (the cut that is). Cheers.
Hi,
So it depends on your vision like finished tree.

Informal upright - choose one leader mid to late summer and cut off the rest. Wait a year (next Spring) and cut at an angle (45deg) so when it callouses the transition is smoother.
Other designs - um, still gotta wait til second trunk is 2/3rds the girth of your main trunk then cut to transition etc - eg. Flat top on top of that etc.
So if you are in too much of a hurry you damage a bud or three and have to wait for the tree to create a new leader - months lost.
Hope that helps as I have a few Bald cypresses to play and learn with too 👍.
Charles