(( Kiyohime Advice ))

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Well I picked up this Kiyohime before winter and its about time for me to get my plan together on what to do with it. I don't know if I should just air layer most of the branches or work with what's there. Sorry for the bad pictures, I had to use my phone. (Any help or styling thought are appreciated :))

Attachments

• kiyohome1.jpg
    kiyohome1.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 103
  • kiyohime3.jpg
    kiyohime3.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 106
  • kiyohime2.jpg
    kiyohime2.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 104

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's pretty nice!

I kinda like the three trunks....

But it seems about to go a little bit wide where they connect there.

3 airlayers would slow it down while you think about it.

For me....
It's either cut back to the small branches around the split.
Or cut the small branches off before they bulge you.

I like it..

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The view in your third photo is the most interesting of the three for me. Yet, I see some upper branches that appear to be thick/heavy. I am sure you will want to remove those and start growing some lighter branches in their place. I also see a lone branch that zips up and to the left. It is discordantly straight and uniform in thickness. You will at least want to shorten it markedly so the subsequent new growth will produce a branch with more movement. In the end, it may prove to be better to eliminate it altogether, but in the meantime (this year and maybe next), it will contribute to further thickening of the lower trunk (i.e., its always good to hedge your bets).

Meanwhile, I suggest you focus on the nebari and root development, which means bare rooting and replanting it in your chosen bonsai medium in the next few weeks (be sure the tree is securely anchored to the pot). Then study bonsai design principles and images of Japanese maple bonsai (also see some in person if at all possible), focussing on examples you like that have similar trunk and initial branch structures to your tree. And when the light bulb goes on, set about to execute your design from this tree.

Bonsai is sculpting trees using their natural growth characteristics.

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Thanks you Source & Osoyoung, I will first work on the nebari and potting. Next year I will airlayer the large branches and start growing some lighter ones. :)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I just picked up an Oto hime, but not sure about that either.

clic8991

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This is interesting looking. I'm not sure it's a Kiyohime.
I don't think it is kiyohime either. I believe kiyohime is more basally dominant and would have longer internodes if left to its own devices. Looks like shishigashira or a big kotohime, but I could be wrong on all accounts. Nice movement in there, I would airlayer if you have the time.

Les

Mame
Reaction score
Yes, I do believe it's a Kotohime. Looking at the branching structure and the abundance of small internodes up and down the branches. The hobbyist I got it from has both cultivars and I'll confirm it with him next week.

Attachments

• kotohime1.jpg
    kotohime1.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 44
  • kotohime2.jpg
    kotohime2.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom