Kiyohime happiness

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi everyone,

I wanted to post photos of my first potted tree. This Kiyohime has gone under tremendous changes in a very short period of time, and is responding beautifully. It's been a fun learning process. Here are some photos of its progression.

DSCF1218.jpg
Tree as purchased last summer.

kiyohime2.jpg
Tree after chopping off most of the branches in Nov and repotting in early March. The pot isn't great, but it was free;)

DSCF1276.jpg
Tree leafing out. It doesn't look great in the photo, but when viewed in person the branch structure is actually visually pleasing. I'm working on bringing the two branches with the wire closer together each year. This was already pushing the limit since Kiyohime are so damn brittle!

Constructive input is most welcome.

T

Last edited:

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, I wanted to know if putting moss over the top of some of the soil would aid in surface root development?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kiyohime do better in a deeper pot,hard to tell from the photo,but it looks a bit shallow,nice start.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beautiful tree :) It looks like it has a very bright future!

Concorde

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Nice looking kiyohime. I also love kiyohime as well as kotohime maples. Keep us posted with future pics.

Art

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's very nice, but I like the way the branches move away from each other, it holds my eye with more interest than if they were close. And the area between will fill in time...

I have read that chopped spagnum can help to keep the top of the soil moist which will aid in root development, but I've not tried this...

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Very nice tree. On the left trunk you have 4 branches coming out of the same spot. It's starting to cause some inverse taper there which you can see in the 2nd photo. You may want to consider removing a couple of those branches and filling in the space from branching a little higher up.
(I'm still fairly new to bonsai so you should take my advice with a grain of salt!)
Ian

Top Bottom