Kiyohime shohin broom

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sharing some pics I took today of one of my maple shohin. This one is another Kiyo Hime being trained in the broom style. From soil level it is 7" tall. Just got repotted into a Yozan pot. With the exception of a couple of branches, it is mainly being trained with the clip and grow method. This tree is still young and needs time to mature. Thanks for looking! :)

KIYOHIMESHOHINBROOMMarch2013_zpsc9ecd056.jpg

KIYOHIMESHOHINBROOMMarch2013detaila_zps19c2ccf1.jpg

KIYOHIMESHOHINBROOMMarch2013detailb_zps502fc92a.jpg

KIYOHIMESHOHINBROOMMarch2013topview_zps38be181e.jpg

KIYOHIMESHOHINBROOMMarch2013a_zpsf165e377.jpg

Last edited:

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Charming little maple! I think it is already quite nice, only to get even better with age. Thanks for sharing! (nice pot too...)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree is beautiful.. What can I say. Beautiful and proportionate nebari, nice subtle trunk movement, nicely tapered trunk, "perfect" branch placement, nice tapering branches and a beautiful crown. This tree demonstrates the if you have the chance to control the tree's growth at a young age and step by step, it produces a beautifully structured tree that will only improve in time.

Rob

RichKid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Nice! How long have you had it? When did it start training? How old is it?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice tree. I have that same pot only in yellow. I think kiyohime is vastly underused.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Sweet little tree. Why don't you want to wire it? I think it would be much more graceful if you did.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice! How long have you had it? When did it start training? How old is it?

Have had this tree for 3 years. My guess it is 10 to 15 years old. When I bought it, it was already semi trained but the design was clunky, coarse and quite dense.

Really nice tree. I have that same pot only in yellow. I think Kiyo Hime is vastly underused.

Thanks Smoke! I got my pot form Gary Ishii at Chikugo-En in LA about a couple of months ago. I really like it!!

Sweet little tree. Why don't you want to wire it? I think it would be much more graceful if you did.

Wiring a Kiyo Hime this small is inviting disaster. The fine twigs break very easily and could well end up with more branches broken that wired ones! For now I am limiting myself to do what is only necessary. I think the gracefulness will come as the tree matures and settles into the design.

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Stunning tree. The kind of tree that I wish I had or could replicate. Thanks for sharing.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice little tree ! Very nice pot to go with it. Can we get another pic when the leaves are new ? They are brittle, I once snapped one pretty much in half when wiring it. They have beautiful color though.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Stunning tree. The kind of tree that I wish I had or could replicate. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Nybonsai! It is actually quite "easy" to make this type of bonsai with Kiyo Hime since their natural growth pattern lends itself very well to this style. They have a tendency to get quite dense so that needs to be managed accordingly.

Nice little tree ! Very nice pot to go with it. Can we get another pic when the leaves are new ? They are brittle, I once snapped one pretty much in half when wiring it. They have beautiful color though.

Thanks Dave! Yes indeed they are. Wire and Kiyo Hime are not the best of friends. Yes I will post once leaves come out :) Incidentally, the wound you see up the trunk by the first branch, was created by me snapping off a thick branch when I tried to bend it with wire. This fortunately was a good thing since it opened up the tree.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
really wonderful surface roots, and terrific pot choice, along with a charming tree.
way to go!

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I also love that you used the green wire to blend in with the branches. Is this aluminum wrapped in tape or did you buy it as such.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I also love that you used the green wire to blend in with the branches. Is this aluminum wrapped in tape or did you buy it as such.

Thanks Bernard! Yes it is aluminum wire that I wrapped with floral tape. Readily available at any craft or floral shop. The main reason to do this is to protect the delicate smooth bark of maples from biting in too quickly into the wire. It essentially cushions the wire. The side benefit of doing this is that it does blend in with the tree a bit better.

I do think taking this extra step when wiring deciduous trees (maples specially) is worth the effort.

Last edited:

Adele

Seedling
Reaction score
Wow! Maples are my favorite species, and this little one looks amazing! Great job! Can't wait to see the foliage:D
Thanks for posting this tree!

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great little maple :) Be sure to post pics of the leaves coming out!

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
how lovely, for how long have you had it ? any earlier pics ?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Akhater! I've had this tree for about 3 years. Sorry no earlier pics of this guy. I will update soon with a pic of the tree in leaf.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lovely !

Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom