Kiyohime?

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes that is correct Tom. I believe I may have misunderstood and thought you wanted a smoother transition up top? The ones lower down are generally more effective to thicken the trunk, just need to be careful ending up with unsightly bump(s) later on particularly if you allow several branches grow out from the same area. A bigger question then for you is why do you want to thicken the trunk(s). One quick way (and faster!) is to actually shorten your design and by doing so your trunks will appear much thicker. I may have mention to you earlier in this thread that I do think your design will benefit by shortening it and going for a smaller image.

Thanks for the comment Tom! I am also just as curious to see it without leaves :)

I guess we will have to see what it looks like without leaves. Then I we can see where some chops would be beneficial to enhance the image.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I guess we will have to see what it looks like without leaves. Then I we can see where some chops would be beneficial to enhance the image.

Yes that would be best Tom and no need to rush things. Also you can leave it as is if you prefer, but I think your main tree is way too top heavy and more branching needs to be worked further down the composition.

Regardless good growing on this maple!

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I took the rest of the leaves off and this is where we stand after this years growth. I'm going to try and get some work done on this tonight. Mach, let me know what you think.

image.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tom, I do think that your image is too top heavy. Most of the growth happening at the top with little down below. So you must get the trees to bud down under by hard pruning all the leggy growth at top. I also think the relationship between trunks can/should be improved. Later today I will try and post a sketch of what I think you should do with this maple group :)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom, I do think that your image is too top heavy. Most of the growth happening at the top with little down below. So you must get the trees to bud down under by hard pruning all the leggy growth at top. I also think the relationship between trunks can/should be improved. Later today I will try and post a sketch of what I think you should do with this maple group :)

Thanks Mach, I agree fully. I am thinking about using some thread grafts to get lower branches on the two larger trunks. They need repositioning at repot next year, I'll try and get some more pics.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Perhaps a better front for the smaller trunk. At the very least when I repot, I need the trunks to separate from each other. Right now these two trunks have no separation from the front.
image.jpg

Thread graft on the largest tree.
image.jpg

Thread graft on the middle tree.
image.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ok Tom here is a sketch of something you could do with your grouping. I would place your smaller tree on the back to create the illusion of perspective. Make sure all trunks are clearly seen from the front. When you repot I suggest to angle your trees slightly away from each other as they often do in nature looking for light. As mentioned before, induce lower budding by keeping your top in check. If you do thread grafts that's great but to ensure 100% leaf uniformity within each of the trees I would do the grafts form leads from the same tree.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok Tom here is a sketch of something you could do with your grouping. I would place your smaller tree on the back to create the illusion of perspective. Make sure all trunks are clearly seen from the front. When you repot I suggest to angle your trees slightly away from each other as they often do in nature looking for light. As mentioned before, induce lower budding by keeping your top in check. If you do thread grafts that's great but to ensure 100% leaf uniformity within each of the trees I would do the grafts form leads from the same tree.

Thanks Mach, I like the the image very much. Good point about trying to theeadgraft from the same exact tree not just one of the other trees that look similar. I was going to work on this but now I am saving this for my class with John next weekend.

General question, but when would thread grafting be performed? Is there harm of starting them now? I realize they wouldn't start taking until they were growing strongly next year.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh yes Tom do not thread graft now. Wait to do this in spring along with your other work like repotting, pruning, etc. I think your group has very good potential, just need to get it on the right track. Good luck in your class and have fun :)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So I picked up my trees from being overwintered at NE Bonsai today, and they were quite happy...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 90

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom good growing! Your maples look happy and healthy. While you study and find your way with these trees, do consider trimming back aggressively the top to encourage lower growth. The more lower branches on the trees, the more design possibilities you'll have :)

Mach has told me this about ten times over the years. I should probably listen...

Just adding a picture to update the thread from this summer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 73

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Group looks good and healthy Tom. LOL yes you know what I am going to say! :D Also I would suggest that in the spring the trees get repositioned and planting angles slightly changed in order to give your composition a little more movement and directionality. I think I may have mentioned this before. Anyway take your time and do what you're comfortable doing. Bonsai is a long game.

Please post a pic when in winter silhouette :)

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Made some decisions tonight. It wasn't easy but I am pleased with the result. I got rid of an awkward branch that I should have cut off years ago but was too chicken. Probably do a little more tweaking tomorrow.

Curious as to what you think, Sergio. Obviously I didn't rearrange the trunks yet, but hope to get to it in the spring.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 28

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Tom could you offer another pic from the "back"? I'd like to see what effect would the smaller tree have sitting at the back of the grouping.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom could you offer another pic from the "back"? I'd like to see what effect would the smaller tree have sitting at the back of the grouping.

Best I could do right now. Clearly the trunks are facing the other way but should help with mimicking the depth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 33

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The trouble with Maples

Hard to ID because maples readily cross pollinate. I saw a wonderful acer palmatum on a trip a few years back that was a brilliant orange in the fall. Took some seed from it on my next trip and the following year the seedlings looked like a large foster family. Different colors, different shaped leaves, different bark. In the same area as the host tree there were several vine maple and large leaf maple that obviously contributed to the pollen pool.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Best I could do right now. Clearly the trunks are facing the other way but should help with mimicking the depth.

Tom I think that should be your new front. The small tree at the back feels better giving the grouping a greater sense of depth. I also think that next time you repot, try and separate the trees and replant them at slightly different angles to give them better directionality. At the moment they are too straight and almost parallel to each other. If you can't separate them at the roots, then place wood dowels to space them apart.

Below is a sketch of what I see your grouping looking like:

Attachments

• maple group sketch.jpg
    maple group sketch.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 27

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom I think that should be your new front. The small tree at the back feels better giving the grouping a greater sense of depth. I also think that next time you repot, try and separate the trees and replant them at slightly different angles to give them better directionality. At the moment they are too straight and almost parallel to each other. If you can't separate them at the roots, then place wood dowels to space them apart.

Below is a sketch of what I see your grouping looking like:

I like that direction a lot. Hopefully I can separate them as the large trunk faces the curent front quite a bit. Side picture shows the lean towards the viewer. At the least I think I should be able to separate out the smaller tree and place at the back.

Also, my wife and I consider this our family tree. And, well, there's a fourth person missing who was born in July so this group will end up having ...gulp... Four trees!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 25

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like that direction a lot. Hopefully I can separate them as the large trunk faces the curent front quite a bit. Side picture shows the lean towards the viewer. At the least I think I should be able to separate out the smaller tree and place at the back.

Also, my wife and I consider this our family tree. And, well, there's a fourth person missing who was born in July so this group will end up having ...gulp... Four trees!

Yes ok. Well see what can be done at the root level and if able to separate them so you can reposition them at better locations and/or angles. Congrats to you and wife on the new addition!! ;)

Top Bottom