KK's questionnaire

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Umbilical blow-out

Well said Walter.
Half of my collection of Yamadori Bonsai, I had to buy from others. And this always mend at least one trip of about 2000 kilometers, a lot of used up free time and a huge amount of money, that had to come from the money I saved from years long hard extra work. And I could by 2 decent cars from the money we spent on the long Yamadori trips up and down to the Alps, were we walked and climbed for day's with out finding any good collectible material, and had to make the long way back, again with nothing to show for. It took me a lot of effort to get the Bonsai I have today in my collection, but I would do it all over again in a minute. Good bonsai material never comes easy, but you have to really want it enough!
Merry X-mas!
Hans van Meer.

Effort, that is a nice word for it. Let's compare our collecting scars and repairs.

Attachments

• hernia 002.jpg
    hernia 002.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 39

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Please don't forsake me

Merry Xmas bonsai Nuthouse!

Attachments

• high 003.jpg
    high 003.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
It's a long story Marc but an Okie is basicly a migrant farm worker or any pauper indigent person. Now I am a white-collar worker who on special occasions likes to strap on the holster and matching 45's to have a little fun in town.

bickerto

Seed
Reaction score
It is all even then, since the average American in general is not interested in ANYTHING outside North America. That's why we (Americans) never learn to speak any other language - heck we never even knew that there are other languages, we thought that the whole world speaks English:)

This point of view has always puzzled me. It seems to me that the reason Americans don't speak other languages is that we don't need to. Generally outside of major cities, we only deal with other people who live in America. The country is huge geographically, many of us never leave it. If each state spoke a different language, then I imageine that most of us would speak the languages of the neighboring states.

My children and wife speak spanish. Between school and my wifes work, they speak it regurlarly. I believe you need to use it not to loose it. Where my sister in law is from Columbia, I hope they use it often enough to keep fluent. I speak a little, very little spanish, but I try.

The bottom line is that the reason Americans do not speak other languages is not because of lack of interest but because it is not part of our everyday lives.

Art is a whole different story. I believe that the arts are very important. I think it is essential that we continually challenge ourselves to see, hear and think from different perspectives. As the sign in the paradign driven shop says- "Shift Happens"
I brought up my children to play an instrument, to draw, to paint, to write and to act. They appreciate the arts they enjoy or participate in, but otherwise cannot be bothered. Once again it is not part of the daily life they lead.

I think that the best that can be hoped for is that through increased exposure, greater appreciation will result.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
What's an okie?

I borowed this and it's a quick explanation of an Okie.

It has been said that some Oklahomans who stayed and lived through the Dust Bowl see the Okie migrants as being quitters who fled Oklahoma; but there is hardly a native Oklahoman who does not have some family member who made the trip. Most Oklahoma natives are as proud of their Okies who made good in California as are the Okies themselves—and of the Arkies, West Texans, and others who were cast in with them.
In the later half of the twentieth century, there became increasing evidence that any pejorative meaning of the term "Okie" was changing; former and present "Okies" began to apply the label as a badge of honor and symbol of the Okie survivor attitude

Also during the 1970s, the term Okie became familiar to most Californians as a prototype of a subcultural group, just like the resurgence of Southern American regionalism (rednecks) and renewal of ethnic American (Irish American, Italian American or Polish American ) identities in the Northeast and Midwest states at the time. However, in the early 1990's the California Department of Transportation refused to allow the name of the "Okie Girl" restaurant to appear on a roadside sign on Interstate 5, arguing that the restaurant's name insulted Oklahomans; only after protracted controversy (and a letter from the Governor of Oklahoma) did the agency relent.

Since the 1990s, the children and grandchildren of Okies in California changed the very meaning of Okie to a self-title of pride in obtaining success, as well to challenge what they felt was "snobbery" or "the last group to make fun of" in the state's urban area cultures.

While some Oklahomans use Okie without prejudice, and it is often used jocularly; in a manner similar to the use of Hoosier by Indianans, Yankee by New Englanders, or Canuck by Canadians, none of whom consider their terms for themselves particularly denigrating.

Harry

Last edited:

chubbos

Seedling
Reaction score
This was a long thread to read.My thought about the art of bonsai,and it is an art, Is that it brings joy ,harmony and a feeling that only comes with this,for me a hobby, of serenity, I look forward to days that I just sit and look at some of my trees ,thinking of there future.Its been 4 years since the passion has infested my soul and My progression into the art has developed at a rapid pace.Passion,a former knowledge of plants and the writings of websites like this,bt,and others have been a valuable resource that gave me a wide variety of opinions and views. Do i care who has the most masters ?. NO. Do i care about where the first site was from?. NO. I feel like we are all brothers in the world of Bonsai and all of the world it covers. A wise old man once said ,"Knowledge is power". None of us have all the knowledge in any field , But we have the ability in this day and age to learn and gain new and exciting views , techniques , and most important a brotherly bond of the passion we all have . None of us should forget what bonsai is all about .

Top Bottom