Knipex or regular wire cutter

LuZiKui

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What do y’all prefer between knipex or regular bonsai wire cutters?
You talking about something like this?

I use standard wire cutters like this only because I'm cheap and haven't gotten bonsai specific wire cutters. They work perfectly fine, only issue is if you're cutting wire off of a tree where it has bitten in a little bit. Standard wire cutters have a sharp end where bonsai specific wire cutters have a rounded end.

Just my opinion but I think there are other bonsai tools that are more important than wire cutters for a beginner. I'd probably invest in some decent concave cutters or knob cutter prior to buying bonsai wire cutters.

Ugo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Kaneshin are perfect for my needs, great quality tools and awesome service.
But I used them pretty much only to cut 3mm wires and less while I do the heavy gauge with Knipex bolt cutter 7112200 and they work like a charm.
Especially with their round tip.

Ply

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
no idea what a knipex is. I use wire cutters
Knipex is a German manufacturer of high-end tools, predominantly pliers. They've been popular here in Europe for decades, especially amongst professionals and serious diy'ers. Nowadays they're popular in the US as well. Especially on the internet on sites such as Reddit, people rave about Knipex and they have almost become a sort of collectible. If you ever need pliers, get some, they'll last you a lifetime. And it's one of the few things we Europeans actually pay significantly less for then our American friends :).

@OP Knipex are great, but for bonsai they're not the best option.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Knipex is a German manufacturer of high-end tools, predominantly pliers. They've been popular here in Europe for decades, especially amongst professionals and serious diy'ers. Nowadays they're popular in the US as well. Especially on the internet on sites such as Reddit, people rave about Knipex and they have almost become a sort of collectible. If you ever need pliers, get some, they'll last you a lifetime. And it's one of the few things we Europeans actually pay significantly less for then our American friends :).

@OP Knipex are great, but for bonsai they're not the best option.
Knipex are awesome, chops 3/16 stainless cable clean like it ain’t even there. Good for bonsai? Not really. Good for everything else? Heck yea.

Reactions: Ply

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I use knipex for everything.. if it’s a super tight spot I’d rather unwind with my hands. If you get knipex you should get the model I got .. not just any knipex wire cutter .. these are sold on bonsai tonight’s store 964AAC83-B347-4563-96B6-496155E8C6C9.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You get something similar at farm stores. And the brab wire section.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We work once a week at the museum, the rest of the time one our own trees. I have all three types of wire cutters (see image below)

Japanese wire cutters,

Klein tools D2000-28 Heavy duty Diagonal Cutting Pliers with angled head. 8” - These have somewhat of a pointed tip, so I ground off the point on a buddies grinding wire a little.

Knipex wire/bolt cutters
image.jpg

Frankly I have use for all three, but I work on huge trees all the way down to little guys. If all I did was work in the back yard with both types of wire, I’d save the money on the Knipex and buy the Kliens hands down. If I was only working mid to small trees and mostly aluminum wire I’d buy the Japanese pliers.

The Knipex pliers are a bit unwieldy in medium or small hands as my better half tells me, I agree. Last place.

If I was a tool junky with lots of kids, I’d end up all with all three as birthday presents… which is what happened to me!

Chers
DSD sends

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
These are my wire cutters.
I bought the black one about 25 years ago when I started doing bonsai and is still working fine. The Knipex wire cutter is also around 25 years old but I started using it for bonsai about 2 years ago when I started doing bonsai again and I also bought the stainless steel ones at that time. They are made by Tian bonsai.

20220809_105303.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Which still means, what do people mean when they say "Knipex or wire cutter". The brand produces dozens, of not hundreds of tools, several usefull for cutting wires.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use whatever is on hand and since I have two true bonsai wire cutters, that is what is on hand. I have no problem with 4mm aluminum wires. My cutters are Joshua Roth and are stainless steel.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use Capri Klinge mini bolt cutters on bigger copper. Blunt tip on them. My Joshua Roth on the small copper or aluminum. The tips are virtually identical but the Capri is much heavier duty for the thick stuff.

Attachments

• 0BEB475C-EE0B-4BE3-BA12-629BCD5932A4.jpeg
    0BEB475C-EE0B-4BE3-BA12-629BCD5932A4.jpeg
    97.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 9890106F-BB29-4B93-A2AF-6A22E4B54C7B.jpeg
    9890106F-BB29-4B93-A2AF-6A22E4B54C7B.jpeg
    130.5 KB · Views: 14

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The first time I bought bonsai trees the owner of the store put three rolls of wire on the counter along with a pair of carbon steel wire cutters. I didn't question it but wish I had. In this climate SS is a better fit and I prefer using them.

I still have a hard time understanding why a rounded tip is better than a pointed tip as shown in the pic above by 'Eat Sleep Bonsai Repeat'. It seems like it would make it easier to get into tight spaces. I have small hands and I prefer a smaller lighter tool also.

Wire cutters or pliers may seem minor but not to me. If I'm going to spend the money I want to get it right the first time and not be stuck with a tool I don't like.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use knipex for everything.. if it’s a super tight spot I’d rather unwind with my hands. If you get knipex you should get the model I got .. not just any knipex wire cutter .. these are sold on bonsai tonight’s store View attachment 450687

That's what I use. They're sold as mini bolt cutters. I love them and don't use anything else.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's what I use. They're sold as mini bolt cutters. I love them and don't use anything else.
Yup , I even grip the wire enough so it doesn’t cut , then I use pliers and tighten copper wire gauges to be stronger as well.

Top Bottom