Koen-Nai No Bonsai

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This coming weekend is the annual fundraiser for the transplanted Clark Collection from Hanford to Fresno.

Called the Koen-Nai, The event will have vendors, live auctions, silent auctions, demonstrations and the famous Toko-Kazari.

I will be displaying in the Kazari as well as providing a demo on Sunday.

Peter Tea will also provide a demo which too, will be auctioned. If memory serves, I think Peter's tree is deciduous. That shall be interesting.

This is my demo tree. A five gallon procumbens. It will be styled during the Tomodachi, (interactive demonstration) and auctioned at 2PM on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how I handle that apex, with seven straight up shoots! I have donated the tree and the pot for the collection auction.

Material value $150.00
After Demo Priceless!

DSC_0001.JPG DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0006.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tomadachi: A Japanese word meaning friend. This is something I have never seen much at a convention. Kind of a round robin type thing or group demo. All of the participants will be working at same time and it is very informal. Spectators will be able to be up close as well as ask questions to the demonstrator. They will be able to roam around and take in each demo and browse back to see progress and ask more questions.

I'm not very good at chewing gum and working with a concave cutter??? Tree may be missing a branch or I missing a finger!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This coming weekend is the annual fundraiser for the transplanted Clark Collection from Hanford to Fresno.

Called the Koen-Nai, The event will have vendors, live auctions, silent auctions, demonstrations and the famous Toko-Kazari.

I will be displaying in the Kazari as well as providing a demo on Sunday.

Peter Tea will also provide a demo which too, will be auctioned. If memory serves, I think Peter's tree is deciduous. That shall be interesting.

This is my demo tree. A five gallon procumbens. It will be styled during the Tomodachi, (interactive demonstration) and auctioned at 2PM on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how I handle that apex, with seven straight up shoots! I have donated the tree and the pot for the collection auction.

Material value $150.00
After Demo Priceless!

View attachment 141263 View attachment 141264 View attachment 141265 View attachment 141266 View attachment 141267
Sounds like a good event! Good luck with your demo!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't wait to meet you. I know we run past each other at conventions and exhibits in Sac. but we never say hi in person. I will make it a point to find you.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you have a chance to take photos of the displays, I would really love to see them, and your commentary please!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some teasers.

IMG_2607.JPG
IMG_2597.JPG
Peter Tea asked if he could do an educational demo rather than a cut and run. not really his cup of Tea. Cool pun right?

So....Peter will simultaneously work on three maples while giving his account of how to treat them what to do to improve them and building a structure.

IMG_2594.JPG
IMG_2595.JPG
IMG_2596.JPG

Peters three maple demo trees. Auction trees being set up in the background.
IMG_2608.JPG

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a juniper we have selected for David Nguy to demo tomorrow. We have no idea if he wants it , but I would take a crack at it if he doesn't.

IMG_2621.JPG
IMG_2622.JPG

This white pine was brought by Scott Chad of Lotus Bonsai. It is for sale for tomorrow.
IMG_2623.JPG

Stay tuned for the festivities tomorrow and Sunday.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The results of the Kazari
First Place Pat Galle, semi-cascade elm
DSC_0003.JPG

Second Place Steve DaSilva, twisted pomagranite
DSC_0048.JPG

Third Place Al Keppler, Chinese Elm
DSC_00021.JPG

Charles Nelson Green Maple
DSC_0004.JPG

Linda Jacobson Shimpaku
DSC_0005.JPG

Bob Hilvers Green maple group.
DSC_0047.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Excellent, congratulations on your award! I would love to hear some discussion about the displays too. I know it's more about the displays than the tree (at least I think that is what I have understood about this one) but good to see lots of deciduous trees in this show!

Top Bottom