Kofu Bonsai Kai California Juniper Dig 2012

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Today it was a very special day for Kofu Bonsai Kai, we held our annual digging trip to the Mojave Desert looking for some California Juniper specimes.

This year it was a very well attended event, a convoy of 12 vehicles and a total of 18 members, some of them have been digging on these lands before I was even born (I'm 29 btw).

GmIuhl.jpg

We started a little bit late this time, but in no time we were ready hiking and looking for that special tree.

Thanks to the help of my brother and my dad, and some really good tips from Paul Vasina, I was able to bring back one very large Juni.

bfCW8l.jpg

I was not able to take a lot of pictures this time, but hopefully, next year I'll be able to bring some more to you.

Below, you will find a few pictures of the specimen I brought home, it's pretty large like I said with many options for jins and shari, tonight it will spend its first night out of the mountains soaking on a bucket with water and superthrieve. It's foliage has been reduced about 50-55% to help balance with the root reduction, tomorrow, I will pot it on a large 20-25 gallon plastic container with pure horticultural pumice and let it establish for a couple of years at least before starting any work on it. I can't wait to go back for a couple more, maybe after the sore on my body goes away! :cool:

3fkY6l.jpg

ioLihl.jpg

1eHOHl.jpg

HdIXdl.jpg

This is a branch, not the main trunk.
0lOxhl.jpg

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Alonsou,

Good looking tree! I hope it survives. Did you get some good roots?

Regards,
Martin

alonsou

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Martin,

Inside the bucket, there is a root all of 8-10 inches in diameter with a hundreds of small roots.

Top Bottom