Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Please make with these updates!

My shovel hand is itchin.

Sorce
What are your plans?
Best thing I did was plumb the rain gutters into the pond. Never need to add water and endless supply for watering trees. and F the carp.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What are your plans?

I'm still debating between a "wildlife pond" with a waterfall/stream/pond/aquaponics/stepping stones..a whole yard transformation.

Or a more suitable for the current yard, blocks rectangle 4ft below grade and 3ft above with a window on the patio window side.

Set on a Helix Skimmer to run a waterfall.

Fitting to use a bottom drain too, with a contour that works, and an external pump to run jets directly back into the pond, so I can keep that on through winter.

I think I have decoded the "filter wars".😉

Sorce

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so carp for you... if you cut out the poop shoot, they are supposed to be good eatin.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
so carp for you... if you cut out the poop shoot, they are supposed to be good eatin.

Fish is still up in the air.

Maybe Smallmouth! Catfish... bluegill?
I heard them Asian Carp are good eating!

Maybe Koi.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You are lucky, Sorce. The Aquascape company is located in Chicago. You owe it to yourself to go visit their place to see how they do it.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 377405Here’s the pond I built last year. It’s about 14x20 and 3’ deep. Turned out okay for my first one, I’d do a few things differently next time, like absolutely do a bog filter.
That looks great!

Yes, bog filters are the way to go for a naturalistic pond. I see you have some water lilies in a pot. I just stuck mine into the nooks of the rocks, and they’re doing great. No pot.

On the other hand, I put a bald cypress bonsai in a bonsai pot in my bog filter. So, it sits in the bog, with water almost up to the brim. I didn’t want to actually plan the tree in the bog, it would completely fill it with roots! Sure, some roots escape thru the drain holes in the bottom of the pot, but I can still lift it and cut them off.

Here’s a picture of my pond: (Just after the clean-out, and in the process of refilling it!)

7E5126E5-BB4F-496C-9C80-FB040B3C6D8B.jpeg

And here’s a picture of the area above the waterfall (the bog):

image.jpg

The bushy tree in the back is the bald cypress. I put it in last year, all the branches grew out about 4 feet! Over the winter, I cut them back to about 6 inches, now they have back budded, and each new branch is about 8 inches. They’ll be 3 feet long by the end of the summer. Grows like a weed! Last year the trunk doubled in girth. I bought the tree at our Club auction for a song. It wasn’t really very good, as bald cypress bonsai go, but I really didn’t care since I was planning on putting it in the bog. I got it for less than the price of the pot! This is a current picture. The one where I was refilling the pond was about 2 months ago. If you look carefully, you can see the bald cypress way in the back. It’s mostly just a trunk with short stubby branches!

See the area at the top of the picture of the bog where you see some stacked rocks that look like flat slate? They’re covering the “snorkel” that Aquascape sells for allowing access to the bottom of the bog for clean outs. Once a year, I have the water pumped out, and clean water is sprayed on the top. This backwashes the bog.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That looks great!

Yes, bog filters are the way to go for a naturalistic pond. I see you have some water lilies in a pot. I just stuck mine into the nooks of the rocks, and they’re doing great. No pot.

On the other hand, I put a bald cypress bonsai in a bonsai pot in my bog filter. So, it sits in the bog, with water almost up to the brim. I didn’t want to actually plan the tree in the bog, it would completely fill it with roots! Sure, some roots escape thru the drain holes in the bottom of the pot, but I can still lift it and cut them off.

Here’s a picture of my pond: (Just after the clean-out, and in the process of refilling it!)

And here’s a picture of the area above the waterfall (the bog):

The bushy tree in the back is the bald cypress. I put it in last year, all the branches grew out about 4 feet! Over the winter, I cut them back to about 6 inches, now they have back budded, and each new branch is about 8 inches. They’ll be 3 feet long by the end of the summer. Grows like a weed! Last year the trunk doubled in girth. I bought the tree at our Club auction for a song. It wasn’t really very good, as bald cypress bonsai go, but I really didn’t care since I was planning on putting it in the bog. I got it for less than the price of the pot! This is a current picture. The one where I was refilling the pond was about 2 months ago. If you look carefully, you can see the bald cypress way in the back. It’s mostly just a trunk with short stubby branches!

See the area at the top of the picture of the bog where you see some stacked rocks that look like flat slate? They’re covering the “snorkel” that Aquascape sells for allowing access to the bottom of the bog for clean outs. Once a year, I have the water pumped out, and clean water is sprayed on the top. This backwashes the bog.
cool alocasias in there

Ruddigger

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That looks great!

I did that at first, but after a year the roots were insane, and it was already raising the floor of the pond, so I cleaned it out and potted them into plastic pots without holes.

I didn’t think a bog would be feasible to diy my first time, but I should have just gone for it. Lesson learned.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice Adair.
Its a shame you have to have that netting to keep the critters out. There's no other way to have pond fish protected?
CW

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice Adair.
Its a shame you have to have that netting to keep the critters out. There's no other way to have pond fish protected?
CW
Anything else is not 100% effective. I have tried stringing fishing line across the pond. Lots of it! Not only did the bird manage to avoid it, and still was able to get in the pond, it actually looked worse than the netting. Another thing I tried was the “motion sensitive” sprayers. They’re supposed to detect motion and spray. Well, guess what? They actually work by detecting heat. Heron, being birds, are covered with feathers, and feathers are excellent insulators! The birds were able to still get in undetected! They stalk the pond very slowly, and they could sneak in! If they moved in quickly, the sprayers would detect them, but when they slowly stalked in, they could get in.

I live near a river, and unfortunately, heron are a known problem.

The bog area, above the waterfall, doesn’t have any fish, so I don‘t have a net there.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting Copper Poisoning.

Sorce

Top Bottom