Kojo No Mai...contorted weeping cherry arrived in the mail today

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am absolutely in LOVE! I will definitely not mind not messing with this for awhile...it was in a gallon pot...to now a shallow 3" pot. This is simply beautiful..love the contorted branches! And it's full of buds.
image_zpsb819c200.jpg

image_zpsf4243d8a.jpg

image_zps78fd2b7d.jpg

image_zpsb753cbcd.jpg

image_zps89c7e5a9.jpg

image_zps6ca80af3.jpg

image_zps9de7171a.jpg

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It looks very Happy! And I bet you are as well! Nice find! That Red looks a LOT like the red in our Master, BEHR Premium Forbidden Red...

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Grimmy...very pleased with my purchases from Plant City Bonsai! Again...Adair thanks for putting me in contact with Steve there! :eek: Very pleased at my whiner post on the eBay cascade...because that post lead me on the he path to two amazing trees.

As to the paint color...it was from Sherwin Williams...and they had issues with dark color base. Marking when you touched it...so they tweaked another base to get this color...which is close to the color I wanted...but, it now doesn't have a name...but a code in their system. My FIL is a painter...frowned on the color...but admitted once dried he liked it a lot.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You know how I feel about this tree. ;)

You need to finalize your goal for it...otherwise, keep it in its untamed form 'till then.

I love the flowers. :cool:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's a very nice looking tree with a ton of potential.

Thanks...I will be taking quite some time...just staring at it. Trying to see what it wants me to see. Grimmy gave me wise advice as to not work on it this year...with having been in a gallon pot and then potted to the 3" shallow pot. And I am fine with just trying to see where I want this to go...and enjoy those blooms when they arrive.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You can clearly see the potential twin trunk in pictures 5-6. Lovely little tree. Enjoy.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can clearly see the potential twin trunk in pictures 5-6. Lovely little tree. Enjoy.

Indeed it is potted wrong currently for a twin trunk...but I do see it. I can easily see it. :D Tipping it back a bit repotting it later and turning it around for the right angle...and removing a few branches...cleaning up the middle between the two main trunks. I see it. And one branch I can sacrifice...at a later date. I am considering wiring for that cascade in mind. Giving it a bit more movement. I don't wish to lose the mother tree. So I guess only one air layer next year would be wise. But...indefinitely see a way to go. But...no rush.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks Grimmy...very pleased with my purchases from Plant City Bonsai! Again...Adair thanks for putting me in contact with Steve there! :eek: Very pleased at my whiner post on the eBay cascade...because that post lead me on the he path to two amazing trees.

As to the paint color...it was from Sherwin Williams...and they had issues with dark color base. Marking when you touched it...so they tweaked another base to get this color...which is close to the color I wanted...but, it now doesn't have a name...but a code in their system. My FIL is a painter...frowned on the color...but admitted once dried he liked it a lot.

I see at least 2 trees there starting next season with an air layer. Good for you as you will able to get a little dirty! ;)

We also had a hard time finding the correct shade as we went with a satin finish, reds are tough and there was very little base in ours to achieve the proper finish and shade.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I see at least 2 trees there starting next season with an air layer. Good for you as you will able to get a little dirty! ;)

We also had a hard time finding the correct shade as we went with a satin finish, reds are tough and there was very little base in ours to achieve the proper finish and shade.

Grimmy

:D Knowing I have some good stock to mess with next year is exciting! Yes...get my hands a bit dirty.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:( oops...just realized I put this in flowering instead of fruit. Meant for it to go in the fruit forum...oh well...it flowers as well.

I think all here will forgive you, but don't do it again !!! ;) Its a beautiful tree. The color looks a lot like Red Barn, a Sherwin Williams color. There are about 15 shades in that range another is Terra Cotta red, but that really looks like Red Barn. That tree will be tons of fun, watching it bloom in the spring then working with it after, then watching it turn in the fall, good luck with her.

ed

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think all here will forgive you, but don't do it again !!! ;) Its a beautiful tree. The color looks a lot like Red Barn, a Sherwin Williams color. There are about 15 shades in that range another is Terra Cotta red, but that really looks like Red Barn. That tree will be tons of fun, watching it bloom in the spring then working with it after, then watching it turn in the fall, good luck with her.

ed

;) Appreciate your over looking my goof. It's been to long since we painted it to remember even a part of the original name. But I like the color...and it gets many compliments.

Thanks...indeed so looking forward to it blooming. From the looks of the images I seen come fall it will be quite amazing as well. Thanks for the kind words...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The more I think about it...I may sign up to take this to a class next year...and share with ones my goals...and see if I am reading it correctly,or if there might be a better option. I see so much potential in a few angles depending on how it will be potted as a twin trunk...informal upright.

Milly

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lovely tree and I'm very happy for you.
I see you've changed your avatar in its honour:)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Lovely tree and I'm very happy for you.
I see you've changed your avatar in its honour:)

Thank you...and yes, I am pretty smitten with its bloom. This tree just happened to fall into my lap. I hadn't even knew about its variety. Until my wisteria purchase. With much research...I just couldn't pass it up. So in honor of the tree. It's now my avatar photo. Very observant you are!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Since Steve with Plant City called this a "weeping contorted cherry"...and I love weeping style trees. I am seriously considering leaving the natural weeping canopy verses doing a broom style that I have seen this variety styled in where the top is pruned hard. Since it's an informal upright...I can get away with that right?

Of course not messing with it this year...since it did have its roots trimmed to be placed in a shallower pot. I see something as this give or take a bit of a degree being the front for the informal upright twin trunk. Clean up a bit at the base...and clear a bit of the V between the trunks down lower. But allowing a bit of the small trunk's branches fill in the apex area. (Though this is new to me...this is raw what I am envisioning.)

image_zps477a5011.jpg

As of now...this is my front. Its full...and you sort if see a nice outer shape to it...other than the one branch sticking a bit further out. Not bad for a tree that really hasn't been overly shaped and prebonsai form.

image_zpsec2b77fd.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Darlene, get something to set that pot on ! The bottom right branch form your front is resting on the ground which may hurt it, at the very least it will not be able to weep any further. You could get one of those cheap metal pot stands from Home Depot to allow it grow.

ed

Top Bottom