Kojo No Mai...contorted weeping cherry arrived in the mail today

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Darlene, get something to set that pot on ! The bottom right branch form your front is resting on the ground which may hurt it, at the very least it will not be able to weep any further. You could get one of those cheap metal pot stands from Home Depot to allow it grow.

ed

Thanks Ed...though that will later be sacrificed when it's turned into a twin trunk. (If I see the right branch) but the other which is almost touching is my planned air layer for a possible cascade...and it's practically touching as well. And I wish for it to keep weeping. So I will put a plant stand under it. Thanks for the heads up. Though...I am thinking where I put it...it may stick over the table at that point. But I will go back and take a look. I just put it there for better lighting with it being dark out...and the men in my life are playing zombie video games. Lol

Psst...checked it, where it currently is. It is draping over the edge of the table in weeping form. But...it's good to know. For if I move it and push it over a bit...it would rest on those branches. So thanks again for the heads up.

Last edited:

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Since Steve with Plant City called this a "weeping contorted cherry"...and I love weeping style trees. I am seriously considering leaving the natural weeping canopy verses doing a broom style that I have seen this variety styled in where the top is pruned hard. Since it's an informal upright...I can get away with that right?

Of course not messing with it this year...since it did have its roots trimmed to be placed in a shallower pot. I see something as this give or take a bit of a degree being the front for the informal upright twin trunk. Clean up a bit at the base...and clear a bit of the V between the trunks down lower. But allowing a bit of the small trunk's branches fill in the apex area. (Though this is new to me...this is raw what I am envisioning.)

image_zps477a5011.jpg

As of now...this is my front. Its full...and you sort if see a nice outer shape to it...other than the one branch sticking a bit further out. Not bad for a tree that really hasn't been overly shaped and prebonsai form.

image_zpsec2b77fd.jpg

And that is not a bad front at all. I know nothing about the species so I cant really make any recommendations, except I am sure you will want it to be somewhat thicker. It appears that it may always lend itself to a feminine tree. Nice find.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And that is not a bad front at all. I know nothing about the species so I cant really make any recommendations, except I am sure you will want it to be somewhat thicker. It appears that it may always lend itself to a feminine tree. Nice find.

Thanks! Yes, this is why I chose a more feminine style pot. They eventually thicken up. I have been doing google images. Ones who chop these later mess up the opportunity to leave the zig zag weeping branches...for the thick short trunk can't carry them well. ( my opinion...which I read a few blogs and forum posts where people said the same thing. ) Dario suggested I leave a few branches at the base to help speed the process of getting it thicker. Which I plan an air layer next year...but will leave one as a sacrifice branch for thickening that trunk. Removing a low branch to train as a possible cascade.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to get more flowering tree into my collection. Really nice to look at.its probably going to be hard to trim it and move it forward. Do flower buds on cherry trees set early or late in the growing season? You don't want to trim off next years flower buds.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have to get more flowering tree into my collection. Really nice to look at.its probably going to be hard to trim it and move it forward. Do flower buds on cherry trees set early or late in the growing season? You don't want to trim off next years flower buds.

Indeed...flowering trees have their rewards...this one gets amazing foliage color come fall as well. Double bonus if you ask me.
From what I read this variety...your to prune lightly after blooming is over. They are not fast growers. So just light trimming of branches from what I've researched. Yet...as a nursery tree...they claim these get thick trunks and branch placement needs to be considered when pruning to allow for it to thicken.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Beautiful photos! Did you go to the workshop recently held at Plant City or did you order online. Steve and Sandy are super people and I always find a lot when there.

I got one of the cherries also and took it to a workshop with Bjorn Bjorholm. We came up with a semi-cascade and I really like the first styling. Will try to post photos later when I get home. Also picked up a pomegranate and crabapple while there last month.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Beautiful photos! Did you go to the workshop recently held at Plant City or did you order online. Steve and Sandy are super people and I always find a lot when there.

I got one of the cherries also and took it to a workshop with Bjorn Bjorholm. We came up with a semi-cascade and I really like the first styling. Will try to post photos later when I get home. Also picked up a pomegranate and crabapple while there last month.

Lucky you...no, I Adair who gives classes there gave me contact information to Steve. I've never been there. Lucky you...I would love to see your cherry...I bet it's spectacular! Thing is...they are even more beautiful in person. Mine is blooming nicely...

Please...do share photos when you get a chance.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice. Your wall color surprisingly worked with the flowers! I thought it would drown out the flowers but didn't. :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice. Your wall color surprisingly worked with the flowers! I thought it would drown out the flowers but didn't. :)

I only took it to that room...thinking it would pullout the dark color in the center of the bloom. Brown walls would never do it justice. I do have cream walls in the one room...but chose the dark colored walls. So thanks.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Pic 2 looked good but prefer the rest on your original wall. ;) Thanks!

Top Bottom