"kojo no mai" support

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey all,
I have a prunus incisa and thing we're going swimmingly however new growth is not lasting very long, it ends up having black tips and then crispy, I assume it's underwatering but I've done some test and the soil is moist throughout the day, any ideas or help?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cherry leaves tend to get a bit 'ratty' this time of year. Brown leaf tips can be lots of things. First guess is water was left hanging on them overnight since they tend to hang tips down. If this makes sense, you should try to not sprinkle the foliage when you water them. It is sometimes hard to avoid, so can also spray with 2 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide (from the grocery/pharmacy) in a quart of water right after watering. This solution is an eco-friendly, broad specturm fungicide/antiseptic.

Brown tips with browning extending also along the margin is the usual result of the tree having gotten too dry a few days ago. Black gooey tips are sometimes the result of the opposite.

At any rate it is often difficult to tell whether it is fungal or not. No fungicide, barring possibly a systemic, will cure infected tissues; they will only nix spores on the surface. Peroxide acts only on what is present at the time and becomes nothing more than water. Commercial fungicides like Daconyl leave a residue that will nix any incoming spores for a week or two or until rain (or watering) washes off the residue.

Once infected, the leaf becomes just a spore source, so the SOP is to remove the affected leaves and spray. I think it a good course to follow until you know what is really happening if it isn't fungal.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
They are very thirsty trees and one of the most common problems is lack of water.

I routinely add a little chopped sphagnum into the mix and cover the top of the substrate with it too. If you are in a very hot climate I'd recommend some shade & shelter it from wind.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Do any of the leaves have holes in them? That's a sign of bacterial canker infection that can cause this issue.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Cherry leaves tend to get a bit 'ratty' this time of year. Brown leaf tips can be lots of things. First guess is water was left hanging on them overnight since they tend to hang tips down. If this makes sense, you should try to not sprinkle the foliage when you water them. It is sometimes hard to avoid, so can also spray with 2 tablespoons hydrogen peroxide (from the grocery/pharmacy) in a quart of water right after watering. This solution is an eco-friendly, broad specturm fungicide/antiseptic.

Brown tips with browning extending also along the margin is the usual result of the tree having gotten too dry a few days ago. Black gooey tips are sometimes the result of the opposite.

At any rate it is often difficult to tell whether it is fungal or not. No fungicide, barring possibly a systemic, will cure infected tissues; they will only nix spores on the surface. Peroxide acts only on what is present at the time and becomes nothing more than water. Commercial fungicides like Daconyl leave a residue that will nix any incoming spores for a week or two or until rain (or watering) washes off the residue.

Once infected, the leaf becomes just a spore source, so the SOP is to remove the affected leaves and spray. I think it a good course to follow until you know what is really happening if it isn't fungal.
Really great advice here I will definitely get some just to make sure that it's not fungal, thinking the hydrogen peroxide route just for now until next paycheck
Thank you!

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They are very thirsty trees and one of the most common problems is lack of water.

I routinely add a little chopped sphagnum into the mix and cover the top of the substrate with it too. If you are in a very hot climate I'd recommend some shade & shelter it from wind.
That's one of my issues honestly, the soil is moist yet the the leaves end up the same, do you think an extra watering will help it out?

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Do any of the leaves have holes in them? That's a sign of bacterial canker infection that can cause this issue.
Fortunately not, just black tips then shrivel

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
That's one of my issues honestly, the soil is moist yet the the leaves end up the same, do you think an extra watering will help it out?
Once they're burnt they'll stay that way til they drop. If it is lack of moisture at some point in the recent past then you will have to do some problem solving. It is impossible for any of us to be sure of how exactly to rectify it for sure but I can give advice. Then it's up to you to play with these 'variables' in your microclimate til you get it right.

VARIABLES

1. HOW OFTEN YOU WATER
2. THE MOISTURE HOLDING CAPACITY OF YOUR MIX
3. DEPTH OF POT
4. TEMPERATURE AND AVAILABLE SHADE
5. ORIENTATION, EG SOUTH / NORTH FACING ETC
6. DEGREE OF SHELTER FROM THE WIND

Good luck finding a solution.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Once they're burnt they'll stay that way til they drop. If it is lack of moisture at some point in the recent past then you will have to do some problem solving. It is impossible for any of us to be sure of how exactly to rectify it for sure but I can give advice. Then it's up to you to play with these 'variables' in your microclimate til you get it right.

VARIABLES

1. HOW OFTEN YOU WATER
2. THE MOISTURE HOLDING CAPACITY OF YOUR MIX
3. DEPTH OF POT
4. TEMPERATURE AND AVAILABLE SHADE
5. ORIENTATION, EG SOUTH / NORTH FACING ETC
6. DEGREE OF SHELTER FROM THE WIND

Good luck finding a solution.
Thank you so much, didn't really take these variables into mind until now.
Much thanks!

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it too warm for cherry doin dallas?
not as far as i'm know. some cherry survive here such as kwazan or kojo no mai however the recent heat spell did a number on every tree here.

Top Bottom