Kojou no mai 2jr. for Shohin questions

Erwin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
So i received this beauty yesterday but before i mess it all up before it even starts i thought id ask for advice, hope you guys can give some tips with this.

Ok because it is almost autumn here in the NL and i think i have to leave it alone untill the beginning of spring before even thinking of placing it in a pot, but still i want to know if i can :)
The next think i would like to ask is what is the best substrate to use or does it not matter that much for such a young plant. I have most of my trees on a akadama (the norwegian katlitter:)), pumice, lava and organic mixture evenly divided but i would love to hear if i can optimise, if possible.

The planning is to place this in one of those tokonama traning pots (no4) partly because i have very little space on the south and also because i think this will be correct. I had another cherry in a bigger pot but i think it left me lately, sad with that.

My plan for the coming year will be let it establish itself coming summer (pruning in spring) and in the years to see how it developes.

Any comments are welcome, thanks :)

Erwin

Attachments

• 20211014_103524.png
    20211014_103524.png
    171.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20211014_103535.png
    20211014_103535.png
    191.1 KB · Views: 44

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi Erwin,
I'm trying to learn about this cultivar of cherry also. One thing I'm finding across the board is to prune, especially hard pruning, after flowering and not before. I think your soil choice is fine, not sure if you'll need the organics though. Keep in mind that this is a dwarf cultivar and that it grows VERY slowly and the flowers are its primary feature. I'm not sure I've seen any prunus incisa bonsai with any significant trunk caliper that is not decades old.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I learned belatedly that this variety is also known as 'Little Twist' in the U.S. I repot my shohin every year before flowering and prune afterward. In my hands, it has been grown in nothing but Turface MVP (high-fired montmorillonite clay)

Top Bottom