Kokufu-ten 2022

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Someone took the time to get it right. My first thought was it was a little edgy for the typical Japanese aesthetic. Who says traditional is non changing! Reminds me of the initial appearance of much more open designs in the Japanese Shows, leaning away from the much more dense and rounded traditional forms.
I guy I follow on instagram posted a bit of a back story on this tree today. Supposedly it's been in the stone for over 20 years. Quite the marriage.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
(Not an update) update.

Went for part 2 today and figured I'd check out green club first as I knew they were packing up early. What I failed to realize is that the actual Kokufu-ten was shutting down at 3:30 with last entry at 3.

I found out when I arrived at 3:30 (kicks self). The people at the front desk were nice enough to let us go down to the first level and have a very quick look, but that was it.

Managed to grap a few bad photos and then went up to the window to watch the takedown. Managed to spot the one and only Kimura leading the packing effort for his nursery.

So, yeah, I'm pretty bummed, but I'll share a couple of videos from people that did make it on time.

Oh well, next year I'll be on time.

Attachments

• IMG_20220216_153138.jpg
    IMG_20220216_153138.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 1645013580744.jpeg
    1645013580744.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 1645013217279.jpg
    1645013217279.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 99

arbonsaiart

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wow, how gorgeous! It's my dream to see this show in person one day. Thank you for sharing.

peterbone

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for these. Does anyone know the species of the one attached. I can't read the text at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_20220210_102424.jpg
    IMG_20220210_102424.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 73

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for these. Does anyone know the species of the one attached. I can't read the text at the bottom.
Looks like quince or korean hornbeam, they rarely have elms and dont think its a hackberry either.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This channel does the best videos of bonsai shows in Japan:

There are two parts for Kokufu 2022. Longest, pro camara word, and highest production quality, imo.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering what kind of tree it is at 12:13. It looks like the ones made into small christmas trees over here, going by the foliage. The subtitle says japanese cedar, sugi. So, cryptomeria japonica?
Any opinions on that tree are welcome. I quite like it but I heard cryptomeria are kind of a pain

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I was wondering what kind of tree it is at 12:13. It looks like the ones made into small christmas trees over here, going by the foliage. The subtitle says japanese cedar, sugi. So, cryptomeria japonica?
Any opinions on that tree are welcome. I quite like it but I heard cryptomeria are kind of a pain

Foliage looks like Tosho, needle juniper.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

It's a Sugi (cedar).

Neo_Rokkenjima

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Which would pay for itself after you start charging people to see it. Brilliant!

Buy two trees for 2.5k each (totaling 5k, about what you'd spend after airfare) and now you've got your own bonsai practice! Now you can sell podcasts, update videos, and even university courses.

Top Bottom