Kokufu-ten books index in english

Canaima

Seedling
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a website where it is possible to find an index of trees, in english, for the Kokufu-ten books?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I would be impressed if it exists. You want an index of all tree types by year? Or translations?

I actually thought about plotting the kokufu data to see trends in popularity, but it would be cool if there were a searchable index. This sounds like a cool project.

bwaynef

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Google Translate on your phone and a large library of books is going to be your best bet.

Canaima

Seedling
Reaction score
Google Translate on your phone and a large library of books is going to be your best bet.
Yes, I have tried that, yet what I would like to is be able to go to one of the books and look at the index for a Persimmon or a Pomegranate. If there was somewhere an English index, by book. I have been searching the internet but so far no luck. This is a nice compilation though (but no index of plants):

Canaima

Seedling
Reaction score
I would be impressed if it exists. You want an index of all tree types by year? Or translations?

I actually thought about plotting the kokufu data to see trends in popularity, but it would be cool if there were a searchable index. This sounds like a cool project.
If would be an excellent tool for the international bonsai community, although it would require someone with access to all the books and lots of time. Certainly can be done. I am actually surprised that the Kokufu committee has not added an English index to these books, as they are indeed a global resource.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
The kokufu books in the ~60s have full english tree descriptions. They have the genus+species name in english in some years (70s-80?) But then they went back to all japanese.

It is not difficult to learn the dozen or so common tree names in japanese

Canaima

Seedling
Reaction score
The kokufu books in the ~60s have full english tree descriptions. They have the genus+species name in english in some years (70s-80?) But then they went back to all japanese.

It is not difficult to learn the dozen or so common tree names in japanese
Yes, most of the books that I have have some of the plant Genus/species in English, however, the thing is, the index would be great to locate a particular plant; for instance, if you wanted to check whether there are entries a particular year for Diospyros (Persimmon), you would need to go page by page; with an index it would be a breeze to check the books and locate an entry.

Canaima

Seedling
Reaction score
BTW, I have never attended a Kokufu show...are the names, description and other details in the placards at the show only in Japanese?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
The placards are all Japanese. There is a paper pamphlet also in Japanese. I don't actually know if you can request an english one at the door.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I actually thought about plotting the kokufu data to see trends in popularity

I know somebody who is working on this for all species with the exception of shohin displays:

I'm sure he'd love some help, send a him PM if you're interested

Top Bottom