Kong vs. Pall bonsai-duel

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
This will be a bonsai photo contest (one picture) judged by whomever so desires between Mr. Walter Pall and King Kong. Since I am the challenger, I get to set the rules which hopefully Walter will agree with.
1. This will be a scratch grow contest. Just as an artist starts with a pallet and blank canvas, so will we. Tree (one only) must have been started by seed or cutting during your care period without leaving your care to the time of the exibit.
2.Tree must have been grown in a container of some size its entire history. Enter approx age.
3. No trunk chop field grown or container grown material please.
4. Any size under 36 inches high and any species botanically.
5. All style or design work must have been done by the exibitor. No demerit for wire.
6. Photoshop touch up will declare null and void. One picture please.
7. Exibits (bonsai pic) will be posted on Dec.3 at this thread.
8. Judged by our viewers. Cameras are allowed

May the best tree win! Any questions Walter? Good Luck!

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, I do have three questions. Do I also get the adantage of a subtropical climate to grow trees several times faster than in an Alpine climate? In the next round, can we start with collected material? Is this fair if you consider that I just don't ever really do cuttings, seedlings and such stuff?

OK, you set the rules and I have to accept them.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The choice is easy for me. Out of around 500 or more serious trees only one qualifies. I have never bothered to do this sort of thing.

Here is a Hibiscus rosa sinensis, the original form, from cutting of 1978 that I took in Eilat, Isreal. It went into a flower pot right away and lived in a pot ever since. Age thirty years as cutting. Size: 30 cm.
First image as of 1985 and the second as of fall 2008.

See the whole story here: http://walter-pall.de/floweringhibiscus_nr__1.jpg.dir/index.html

Attachments

• 1985-07-Magazin01-Bild03.jpg
    1985-07-Magazin01-Bild03.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 118
  • 2008-07-NSC_6241ofv.jpg
    2008-07-NSC_6241ofv.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 164

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Very good. This all about the owner's hands on bonsai techniques. No help from Mother nature or any other outside source. See you December 3 Walter.

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now this is cool! I appreciate the good natured way that you guys are proceeding with this! I will enjoy seeing the photo of your entry KK, as I have enjoyed seeing Walters. Can't wait to vote!

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Bob

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Bonsai-off

This is going to get interesting, reminds me of a competition some time ago:
attachment.php

Here's the video of the walk-off, hopefully the bonsai-off will be as great:
Zoolander walk-off

This is serious business.

Attachments

• 15711__zoolander_l.jpg
    15711__zoolander_l.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This will be a bonsai photo contest (one picture) judged by whomever so desires between Mr. Walter Pall and King Kong. Since I am the challenger, I get to set the rules which hopefully Walter will agree with.
1. This will be a scratch grow contest. Just as an artist starts with a pallet and blank canvas, so will we. Tree (one only) must have been started by seed or cutting during your care period without leaving your care to the time of the exibit.
2.Tree must have been grown in a container of some size its entire history. Enter approx age.
5. All style or design work must have been done by the exibitor. No demerit for wire.

Your rules are flawed: Rule two and rule three contradict each other making following the other rules impossible.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is so funny, most likely the funniest thing I have seen on the bonsai forums.

Walter, I see, has responded accordingly... :D

Will

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Your rules are flawed: Rule two and rule three contradict each other making following the other rules impossible.

Thank you.
No trunk chopped trees no matter were it was grown, in a container or in the field.
Would you like to play next Vance?

PeterW

Sapling
Reaction score
suggestive

Walter, I see, has responded accordingly... :D

Will

Mmmm....well i quite like this little Hibiscus! It may not "fit" but its a nice little composition i think. Its been in a pot for a long time!
Just my humble opinion.
Peter.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Thank you.
No trunk chopped trees no matter were it was grown, in a container or in the field.
Would you like to play next Vance?

So you are saying no trunk chopped trees? If that is what you meant you should have left out the field and container options, trunk chopped means trunk chopped regardless of where or when it was chopped. If that is the rule you are in essence saying put up your bonsai effort that is void of one of the major techniques used in bonsai culture---that's ridiculous.

Technically if you cut the top out of a tree you have chopped it. You cannot produce a believable bonsai of any quality from seed if at some point you do not chop the trunk. I do not say this from the point of view of reading a lot of literature but from growing a lot of trees from seed, from Maples to Pines. At some point you have to chop the trunk to creat the illusion of an adult tree. I await to see what you come up with and will it apply to your rules? I don't mean to be argumentative but you are telling the people to make bricks without straw.

How about disallowing pruning the branches, that too is a form of chop. How about disallowing pinching and wiring?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Another point which is picky but you posted this things as a duel. In the art of dueling you are the challenger but the person challenged gets to choose the weapon so by the parameters of your original post being what it is, a duel, you need to allow Walter to choose the weapon.

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Trunk chop clarification. The trunk will be considered the part of a tree immediately above the root flare. Please see illustration if you are still confused. Sacrifice branches and apex re-work will be of no demerit.
Vance, if someone slaps you in the face are you going to let them determine the rules for combat too? I don't think so. Think of it as a chess game. Your opponent moves then you move. Make sense? Now, do you want to play?

Attachments

• chop 003.jpg
    chop 003.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 108
  • chop 005.jpg
    chop 005.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 95

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, if someone slaps you in the face are you going to let them determine the rules for combat too? I don't think so.

You are trying to substitute what you consider common sense with what the rules of the Duel actually say. In a Duel situation if someone slaps you in the face and "you call them out" they get to pick the weapon. If you slap them back and "they call you out", you get to choose the weapon. In context of this post, without knowing the cronology and events that have prompted it, according to your desired understanding of the rules you threw the first punch so Walter should be able to pick the weapon.

Does this make sense? Neither does the IRS, but there you go, we don't make the rules.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Trunk chop clarification. The trunk will be considered the part of a tree immediately above the root flare. Please see illustration if you are still confused. Sacrifice branches and apex re-work will be of no demerit.

Here again your definition is vague and, to be honest, on your own terms. You are defining the trunk chop as being immediately above the root flare. If that is your definition it is wrong, a trunk chop can occur considerably above the root flare and several times over many years to produce taper. You need to define what you mean by this.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK, I choose the weapons:

KK throws a dead frozen bird and I throw a maple, the size is my choice.
Oh well, this is boring. I would rather show trees.

Last edited:

Ashbarns

Mame
Reaction score
No birds or trees were killed in this production. It does however seem like an interweb slaughter for someone. Vance keep an eye on your blood pressure. Please treat this as a light hearted and humerous encounter.

King Kong may be a world master hiding under a pseudonym for all we know. We already know who Walter is and are glad he is amongst us. Kong is a recluse living in a cave but is a caveman with taste.

My best wishes go to each of them on this duel. May the best artist eeerrrm have the best outcome.

Ash ;)

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
OK, I choose the wapons:

KK throws a dead frozen bird and I throw a maple, the size is my choice.
Oh well, this is boring. I would rather show trees.

Walter, be careful what you ask for. A frozen chicken launched in a bird strike simulation can penetrate aircraft or train windshields. Never trust a knuckler dragger, he might build a chicken shooting crossbow.
Harry

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
King Kong may be a world master hiding under a pseudonym for all we know. We already know who Walter is and are glad he is amongst us. Kong is a recluse living in a cave but is a caveman with taste.

My best wishes go to each of them on this duel. May the best artist eeerrrm have the best outcome.

Ash ;)[/QUOTE]
By the way, King Kong still lives and absolutely does not hide. Everybody thinks I died for their sins...false, plus where am I going to hide? Behind the wife's Honda? Think about it. I do have good taste by the way, thanks...where is that frozen bird? By the way Walter, all frozen birds are dead the last time i looked....'dead frozen bird'?

Last edited:
Top Bottom