Venrus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Picked up this Korean Cherry from @bonsaibp's nursery today..Chopped it down, wired a few branches, bent the trunk and threw it in a pond basket where it'll stay for the next year or two....

Attachments

• DSC_0783.JPG
    DSC_0783.JPG
    287.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0782.JPG
    DSC_0782.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_0787.JPG
    DSC_0787.JPG
    222.2 KB · Views: 108

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Good move on your part to put some movement at the trunk base. Since that was where your vision drew you. Do you have a virtual of where your wishing to take this? Lovely blooms by the way...

Side note:
With the movement found in the above stock...what made you decide this route? Just curious why you didn't consider an air layer as well. You could have had two trees. Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking your choice,but wondering if it crossed your mind or not. Seeing your a fairly new member...and was wanting to make you think a bit. Was curious if the thought crossed your mind...

Myself I have a cherry...which I chose to not air layer when shaping up...not wanting to take a chance on weakening the mother plant which I felt had more to offer.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice species with the lovely flowers and small leaves, and nice start u've got going there.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
What species is Korean Cherry? I did a search and it what I found said, "Korean cherry is a common name for several plants."

Venrus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
First pic below is where the vision for this tree came from. Hoping to get it looking similar in the future with the addition of a possible shorter second trunk, which is why I left the stump in pic 2. If it doesn't work out I'll chop it off & hopefully no harm done....

I wasn't thinking about air layering, thought about maybe trying to root some of the cuttings. But at this time I probably don't need any more trees, haha. I was told this species sends up suckers like crazy, so if in the future I decide to attempt an air layer/cutting I guess that's a good thing...but for now, I'll try to keep them under control.

The upper portion that I cut off was very "corkscrew" like around the bamboo support that it was taped to and I wasn't too fond of it, others may have been able to work with it, but I couldn't think of anything to do with it. The bend in pic 3 is what caught my eye at the nursery. I'll probably put more of a bend into the trunk throughout the growing season, right now it's pretty much maxed out. I need to get some heavier wire that will hold, which is why I used the trunk bender for now...

Attachments

• Blossom-Tree-in-Japan-Photo.jpg
    Blossom-Tree-in-Japan-Photo.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC_0793.JPG
    DSC_0793.JPG
    263.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC_0790.JPG
    DSC_0790.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 82

Venrus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What species is Korean Cherry? I did a search and it what I found said, "Korean cherry is a common name for several plants."

I'm assuming it's a "King Cherry" perhaps. I'd have to defer to @bonsaibp for exact species identification. He had 2 types of cherry trees at his nursery, the other being "Nanking Cherry" which was written on the containers.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I believe I was told and also read...cherry does better with air layers and not well with cuttings. Buyou totally get not wanting more than you can handle. You seen your vision in the lower section. So I think in this instance you did what was best for your vision to see followed through to the end.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I'm assuming it's a "King Cherry" perhaps. I'd have to defer to @bonsaibp for exact species identification. He had 2 types of cherry trees at his nursery, the other being "Nanking Cherry" which was written on the containers.

Okay I will wait for Bob (I gotta take a road trip over there one day soon). Nanking is Prunus tomentosa. Love all prunus!

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Okay I will wait for Bob (I gotta take a road trip over there one day soon). Nanking is Prunus tomentosa. Love all prunus!
These are Prunus triloba - flowering almond/ korean cherry.
I believe I was told and also read...cherry does better with air layers and not well with cuttings. Buyou totally get not wanting more than you can handle. You seen your vision in the lower section. So I think in this instance you did what was best for your vision to see followed through to the end.
These were cutting grown.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

That is interesting...so,not all cherry apply to that rule apparently. I find that very interesting...that you did find success. Because it's there for the world to see.

So...I will have to go back to see if I misunderstood the information...or...those giving it were also offering me book advice and not experience advice. I love hard facts and the proof here is in the Pudding so to speak. Or,maybe they meant an air layer was easier at success rates. And I misconstrued thinking it was the only way. I do plan to see where I got my foggy information from. Because somewhere along the way...I got that from considering taking cuttings from my Kojo No Mai...was advised against it. To air layer...and the chance it can weaken the mother plant.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

How is longevity there? I ask because here even in the ground those and some plums last 12 years maximum.

Grimmy

Venrus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Thanks Bob! I guess I should have asked the exact species while I was there. I was looking at info for King Cherry & when you said it was Korean Cherry I thought it was the same thing/different name....Glad to know that they root well from cuttings.

If your ever in the area, I'd definitely recommend stopping in. He has a fantastic collection throughout the nursery & his stock never ceases to overwhelm me...I've been there 3 times in the past 2 months, usually for about 2 hours or more each time and always end up walking out with at least 2 new trees, haha! My balcony's beginning to look like a jungle...:eek: much to my wife's anger....

Venrus

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The mother tree doesn't look like much but I've had it for almost 20 years and who knows how long it was here before that.

Is the mother tree at the nursery? Just curious, would like to see what it looks like if it is. I'm sure the rain didn't help the flowers much, mines all but bare now.....I'll probably be in again on Saturday for a Trident.

Top Bottom