Korean hornbeam and blue pots.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It feels like every time I see a Korean hornbeam, it usually in a blue pot. is that because the foliage in the fall matches the blue, but I don’t see it. there’s something I’m missing. Maybe someone can explain it to me, maybe also blue is a masculine color, and Korean hornbeam is a masculine tree. Here is an example of Harry’s Korean Hornby and he definitely knows what he’s doing.

Attachments

• IMG_8105.png
    IMG_8105.png
    353.1 KB · Views: 126

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Blue is a masculine color... I've seen quite a few Feminine blue bonsai pots. So that clearly made me pause.

You sure that's a blue pot? It's definitely an Erin 😉 I question if it's blue. Also a European Hornbeam
Screenshot_20231122_191814_Firefox.jpg

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got mine in a rectangular blue pot, moved it to round yellow - think that was the right move, at least to my taste

B

Attachments

• IMG_1755.jpeg
    IMG_1755.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3588.jpeg
    IMG_3588.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 111

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Blue is a masculine color... I've seen quite a few Feminine blue bonsai pots. So that clearly made me pause.

You sure that's a blue pot? It's definitely an Erin 😉 I question if it's blue. Also a European Hornbeam
View attachment 518463

So I just bought a Korean hornbeam, and id like to buy a new pot for it. I want to pick a pot that makes sense for the tree, so I’ve been self teaching myself through the help of videos, and came across this one, what do you think?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Health of a tree with selection of pot has always been my focus. Especially since I don't show.

I don't have time to watch this entire thing.

But what she says to the point I have stopped watching. I agree with to a degree.

That said...end of the day the pot falls on preference of the owner. So trust what you also like. If you aren't showing than truly is even less of a concern.

Masculine tree/pot...Feminine tree/pot has always been a good direction. That said...end of the day. Just enjoy your pairing. I can guarantee your tastes will mature and grow as your eye develops. What I once was drawn to. Has changed significantly.

I also prefer not to toss a tree into a pot because it's a trend. As you clearly state blue pots are seen for said species. I myself would buck that system...because I am not a follower. My Ginkgo clearly ...boldly stands on that. As I told Victor when he made my pot he had full reign other than my only stipulation was...no blue. As it's over done and I find it less appealing.

I know...yawn...it's been shared. Also...Scott Lee said to never put this in any pot less than 3.inches deep for health of the tree. So this pot is 3 inches in depth. IMG_20231104_090712_782.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Masculinity in bonsai isn't about color of the pot (forget the pink vs blue for baby colors) or species of the tree. It is about the shape and size of the trunk and the shape of the pot. I have blue pots that are very feminine in shape.

The tree pictured in the post above is a mostly masculine trunk and the pot it is in is also mostly masculine. The curved corners softens it a bit. The colors is neutral. I think the pot complements the tree well.

I think the reason you may see ginkgo in blue pots is because of the bright yellow fall foliage. Yellow and blue are primary colors and complement each other well.

That said, I agree with @Cadillactaste health of the tree is the primary consideration. If you aren't planning on showing trees and you like the tree-pot combo, who cares if it doesn't conform to traditional tree-pot pairing

Last edited:

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
The baby blue is called Kinyuu "Keen-you" or sometimes pronounced "Keen-Yo". It is one of the classic Chinese glazes that have been used in bonsai for hundreds of years. Kinyuu is the most useful color for deciduous bonsai and the most common color on benches in Japan. There is some cultural objection to baby blue in America that I don't understand, maybe from the cheap blue pots we see in garden centers.

johnl445

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wow, this is been a very informative thread, I really appreciate how all the different contributions to this thread really open my eyes and mind. The experienced helping the next generation.

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the color blue. I also like flowers and berries -- forsythia, azalea, ninebark, cotoneaster, quince. I don't show so I pair the best I can with health as the first consideration and color contrast second. I get lots of enjoyment just from looking at my tress, and that's what it's all about for me.

Great to learn about the Kinyuu color!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had to go out and take inventory. None of my Korean Hornbeams are in blue pots. Probably because I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have a Korean hornbeam that’s going into a Kinyuu glazed pot in the spring and a blue kinyuu tray for an American hornbeam forest planting . Also other hornbeams I have will be going into various shades of blue pots or white cream glazes. I think for Hornbeam , the blue or Kinyuu glazes go really well whether you want to accentuate the bark or the leaves during fall. My hornbeams always get rich yellows to reds every year and it looks nice. It’s also nice to see the old smooth bark contrast to the blue as well. Now you can use the blue with other deciduous trees such as maples , beech or elms / zelkova to come up with a few other examples. Glazed earth tone pots are great too for contrast.. it just really depends on how you want to showcase the tree in the end whether to show whimsical detail of trunk or branches .. or sturdy thick trunk that hornbeams are known for. Blue is such a common glaze color as well , it really offers nice contract to the reds or other colors for the tree. Or to say greens, yellows or earth tones won’t either just goes back to the preference…. But for smoother bark deciduous I think richer color glazes go well and rougher bark deciduous more earth tone rougher glaze texture is a great spectrum as well.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sales areas at Kokufu. Can you spot any blue pots that look the same? They do seem to be well represented in the Bonsai trade. Personally I feel negative towards the cheap bright blue ones that flood the nursery trade
I must admit I do lLove a well made, nicely proportioned pot with appropriate blue glaze for certain species. Can also agree that some blues simply are very difficult to pair up with trees.IMG_2561.JPGIMG_2562.JPGIMG_2563.JPGIMG_2107.JPG

Top Bottom