Korean Hornbeam (Carpinus coreana)

mapleman77

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Brian,
Does this Brussels place have a website? I'd like to look into one of those. As for Bonsai West, those sound a little too developed for me (yes I know, crazy on my part) but I'd like to see one of these develop from the get-go, or something close. Paired with the fact that I'm 15 years old I think that I'll have some time to see them grow into mature specimens....but if I was older I would definitely take your advice! ;)

Thanks for more helpful hints with this species. I absolutely cannot wait to see a KH in real life during the fall; I've seen pictures but I'm sure that in real life it's even better. I love your tree! It has a really nice trunk; very mature and old looking. Wow!

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Buy from Bill Valavanis at
http://www.internationalbonsai.com
Check out the seedling and specimen catalog on this site.

I've bought KH and other seedlings from him in the past. They have worked into very nice trees.

Bill is a very good bonsai supplier and one of the best bonsaimen in the U.S. He sells seedlings seasonally--importing many. He also does custom import of collected KH. I've seen some of those trees and they are spectacular.

I don't know what his supply of seedlings is like now. He usually sells most of what he has in the Spring. He has had a run of bad luck as his home burned down this winter, but he's still in business.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
www.brussels.com is his website, and it's just South of Memphis in Olive Branch, MS, although I don't think he offers these for sale on the site...they're out in his growing area, where he has lots of trees in nursery cans for Rendevous and walk-in customers. Considering time is on your side, Bill Valavanis' site might be a good way to go!

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is one of my older korean hornbeams,its twelve inches tall,trunk is over two inches,closer to three,dont have a tape to measure right now.Still needs alot of work,but you can see where im heading.

Attachments

• ocean 022.jpg
    ocean 022.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 111

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
This thread is a delight to view. Gotta love the hornbeams. I have a few hornbeams some of them have the Autumn colour that is not diffused through the leaf but has a definite separation by the viens in the leaf. Brent Describes it "The real treat is in the fall when the leaves turn red, yellow and orange, not diffusely but in stripes. We have seen leaves where one half of the leaf separated by the midvein was red and the other half yellow or orange. The striping will also occur between the side veins of the leaves" Under Carpinus coreana description.
Yet I have never seen a picture of a Carpinus coreana showing this Autumn colour. I would like to know if anyone has seen this before.

Smoke your technique of using spag moss to keep the cut area moist after a trunk chop got me thinking it would be good for a trident and a hornbeam that I need to trunk chop. I have had some conflicting advice on when is the best time to do such a trunk chop. What part of the season do you get best results for this technique?

Attachments

• hornbeam bonsai  firey jimFG (3).jpg
    hornbeam bonsai firey jimFG (3).jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 54
  • hornbeam bonsai  firey jimFG (4).jpg
    hornbeam bonsai firey jimFG (4).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 80

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I would like to know if anyone has seen this before."

Nope. You're tree is the first to exhibit this phenomena:D:D:D Sorry. Couldn't resist. KH are famous for the multicolor thing, even on the same leaf. Mine do this, especially if they've had alot of sun over the summer.

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Yeah I know it's not a mutant(although no one can explain the rough bark yet) as Brent describes this colouration and people say thiers does it but I have yet to see one picture of one showing the colour. At first I just wanted to see what my tree could look like now I have wonderd how common it is. How about a picture? Anyone else seen it?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Haven't seen it in strips across the leaf veins. It looks like the areas that get the most sun get the brightest, and the interior leaves look yellow and orange. It was REALLY hard to photograph the tree last fall and capture the amazing color this thing had. I tried...thank goodness for digital cameras! I deleted many attempts!

Attachments

• Korean Hornbeam 08 (15).jpg
    Korean Hornbeam 08 (15).jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Korean Hornbeam 08 (16).jpg
    Korean Hornbeam 08 (16).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Korean Hornbeam 08 (21).jpg
    Korean Hornbeam 08 (21).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 76

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
David, This is one of my Korean Hornbeams at our fall show in 2006. The color was not very good that year but acceptable, more of a golden yellow color. The tree has since had a major haircut to bring the foilage back in closer to the trunk. I will try to post a current pic.

Attachments

• Fall Korean Hornbeam Pic.jpg
    Fall Korean Hornbeam Pic.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 100

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
David, This is one of my Korean Hornbeams at our fall show in 2006. The color was not very good that year but acceptable, more of a golden yellow color. The tree has since had a major haircut to bring the foilage back in closer to the trunk. I will try to post a current pic.

Wow, I love your tree! Thanks for sharing!

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
hornbeam

Hello, here are some of my hornbeams

Attachments

• HPIM0958.jpg
    HPIM0958.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 76
  • HPIM0962.jpg
    HPIM0962.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 76
  • HPIM0966.jpg
    HPIM0966.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 85
  • HPIM0967.jpg
    HPIM0967.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 80
  • HPIM0989.jpg
    HPIM0989.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hello, here are some of my hornbeams

Cool. I recognize that last one from Gregory Beach Bonsai. Definitely one of the nicest KoHos, if not the nicest, that he has/had to offer.

What are your future plans for this tree?

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Its more for inspiration than anything. I dont think I could improve it, only strive to have trees that grow to resemble its beauty. It will inspire me thru my journey in bonsai. I will take constructive criticism on my young Koho's tho. Haha!

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
there isn't much to improve

Amazing tree for a beginner but there is always something to improve, and if there isn't for the time being, there will be pretty soon!

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I want to explore defoliation on my two younger KoHo's. More ram and better shape. I have one setup to defol. this weekend.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Amazing tree for a beginner but there is always something to improve, and if there isn't for the time being, there will be pretty soon!

There most definately is always room for improvement. I want to see that great HB while I learn to work on my other trees. When I get more experience I will then maybe look to improve the "Big Guy". I have joined the Pittsburgh Bonsai Society and hope to take in as much as possible.

bretts

Shohin
Reaction score
Thanks for the hornbeam Autmn colour but still none that are seperated by the vien like mine?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do NOT defoliate your KH. You will unecessarily weaken (or maybe even kill) the tree. They do not take kindly to the procedure.

It's not needed anyway. These trees have the smallest leaves of the hornbeams and twig almost excessively.

If you're looking for more ramification and not getting it, your probably not pinching growth correctly. To get maximum ramification from any particular new twig, it must be clipped after it hardens off or "ripens." That means it has acquired a woody texture and not still flexible green.

Top Bottom