Korean Hornbeam... hard (or maybe not) chop

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Today bigger brother went to workshop… primarily trimming but also cleaned up some stubs, little branches plus started to fix some big scars. Also wired some lower branches to grow up as it started to look like weeping hornbeam :). Overall pretty happy with outcome… tree grew way out of proportions last season… leafless photo from earlier this year for comparison. Still way to go but bones are present.
Nice looking Korean Hornbeam. Fabulous trunk base at the substrate soil level. That ground level hollow is a particularly nice feature that turns a static base into something quite interesting and provides a great eye-catching aged-trunk appearance. Mighty fine!

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
@Tieball … somebody said the tree should back-bud crazy… and it did. Just wanted to thank you guys for giving me the courage to make this chop… so much appreciated.
@BobbyLane … your idea not lost on me at all… will cut harder next year… there is a bud that seems to want to be new leader… I’ll do it together with lower level branches… seems like we might have something cool coming up here.
Thank you so much!

Attachments

• FFE7B813-14B1-48B8-9239-F3258325B752.jpeg
    FFE7B813-14B1-48B8-9239-F3258325B752.jpeg
    233.3 KB · Views: 71

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Tieball … somebody said the tree should back-bud crazy… and it did. Just wanted to thank you guys for giving me the courage to make this chop… so much appreciated.
@BobbyLane … your idea not lost on me at all… will cut harder next year… there is a bud that seems to want to be new leader… I’ll do it together with lower level branches… seems like we might have something cool coming up here.
Thank you so much!
You have a plan in mind. Mighty fine! I hope to see the cool plan results.

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
The tree should put out buds everywhere now without the top leaves. This is a good time if the year for a chop like this on a Korean Hornbeam. Now is the more difficult time of wait-and-watch for the new bud development. I get fascinated as the new, and old, growth unfolds and develops as a new tree image evolves. I guess I’m more easily entertained by something not so complicated but highly creative as nature takes center stage.
Was thinking about this @Tieball post when working on the small guy yesterday. After top removed the tree literally budded everywhere (great learning). Cut off quite a pile pile and still tones of leaves left. Also developing new leader and will chop lower next year as @BobbyLane suggested. Such a rewarding experience to get good tips, follow them and get great results. Thank you!

Corona for scale 😜

Attachments

• BD2F0E81-B507-487B-A03B-7AF64BF2F200.jpeg
    BD2F0E81-B507-487B-A03B-7AF64BF2F200.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 44
  • C1D678BE-9E55-4029-A78B-9F600D5DB5F1.jpeg
    C1D678BE-9E55-4029-A78B-9F600D5DB5F1.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 710F3C9B-0381-4774-9C2A-E4E7C6B62F0A.jpeg
    710F3C9B-0381-4774-9C2A-E4E7C6B62F0A.jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 38

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I might cut back harder and try to put some movement into the branches, they currently look like flat branch pads. And they all look the same, a bit conifer like. But if you like that style then cool.

An example of a tree thats been fully wired a few times and had a few hard cut backs, notice the variation in the branches.

Attachments

• IMG_4197 (2).jpg
    IMG_4197 (2).jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20191115_133043 (2).jpg
    20191115_133043 (2).jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20191115_140405 (1).jpg
    20191115_140405 (1).jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
I might cut back harder and try to put some movement into the branches, they currently look like flat branch pads. And they all look the same, a bit conifer like. But if you like that style then cool.

An example of a tree thats been fully wired a few times and had a few hard cut backs, notice the variation in the branches.
that would be the objective… appreciate inspiration… seems my little saw will be moving next season…

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Nice selection for demonstrating a reachable goal. I’m a visually oriented person. Photos are always appreciated.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice selection for demonstrating a reachable goal. I’m a visually oriented person. Photos are always appreciated.
Same here, pretty much every video or image thats helped me along the way is stored in my memory.
As far as demos go for cutting a tree back that was previously neglected or lost its way or needed a reset, this video is as good as it gets, this is how its done, you have to be ruthless.

When you talk about a drastic cut back, this is a drastic cut back. This is what it means

Adamski77

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Some late autumn work and winter preparation for two Korean hornbeams. Small one… took off wires and don’t touch it much… in spring will go for heavier cuts as the tree is well established on the pot now plus the new leader already growing nicely. Still thinking what the front should be… there is alternative… whole winter to contemplate. Bigger one is one of my favorite trees (and maybe the best in terms of advancement). This season was just growing freely after relocation from Korea… good deal of ramification and healing… there is quite a few scars around. In spring will cut some further… there is couple of disturbing branches but it’s a brave decision so need to make some virts and see. Overall really good season for this two.

Attachments

• IMG_1117.jpeg
    IMG_1117.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1126.jpeg
    IMG_1126.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom