Korean Hornbeam help?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had this Korean Hornbeam for about 3 years. It's been through a lot since I got it at a club auction. It started out about 3' tall and I chopped it as you can see in the picture. Then over the winter voles ate all of the growth that I regrew. The current pics are all new branches grown this year except a few stubs. As I grow out an apex should I keep the side branches cut all the way back? Also I'm thinking of trying a few air layers and then using the stock to try and do some root grafts on the nebari. First wiring will come in the spring. Anyway, I would appreciate some tips I have very few deciduous.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 79

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have had this Korean Hornbeam for about 3 years. It's been through a lot since I got it at a club auction. It started out about 3' tall and I chopped it as you can see in the picture. Then over the winter voles ate all of the growth that I regrew. The current pics are all new branches grown this year except a few stubs. As I grow out an apex should I keep the side branches cut all the way back? Also I'm thinking of trying a few air layers and then using the stock to try and do some root grafts on the nebari. First wiring will come in the spring. Anyway, I would appreciate some tips I have very few deciduous.
Hey Matt, if you're going to do some layering, get that done first. As soon as you remove the layer, pull up an appropriate side branch for the new apex. let that grow for awhile(dependent upon it's vigor). Then cut that back and pull up another side branch. Continue that procedure until it's reached a height near where you want to top out and then let it grow out maybe 6 inches and cut back to 1 or 2 sets of leaves to start building twig structure. All the while working on side branching. Grow out, cut back repeatedly. I hope this makes sense to you.................SK

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Simple question - do you want this to get bigger?

- If yes, plant it in the ground. It's 5x faster than a pot.
- if no, leave it alone and let it properly recover for another season.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope this makes sense to you.
Yes it does, thanks Steve! That is what I was planning on doing it should turn out to be just a bit bigger than a shohin tree in the end.
All the while working on side branching
This is what I was not sure about. With this species how long should I keep the side branching? Cut back hard while the top grows? Or just develop the side branches normally... build ramification etc etc.
do you want this to get bigger?
My personal taste would say I would like this tree bigger buuuuutttt Im worried about leaving it unprotected in the winter in the ground. If its in a movable pot I can put it in my fort knox box to protect against voles. It seems to be vole heaven around my yard. This tree needs to be repotted either next spring or the spring after I may just plant it in a bigger wooden box. I do like growing things in the ground and I have alot of stuff in the ground but just stuff that voles don't seem to like as much.

Steve Kudela

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tree is ugly as all get-out, after all, it is part of the mutants of the monster collection, but it will serve to illustrate what I'm trying to say. It measures 20 inches tall, 30 inches wide, root spread is 10 inches, and it has a 2 1/2 trunk. It is from an air layer 12 to 15 years old. The branch it came from was about an inch in diameter. Completely container grown. But, look at the size of the container. A big one with substantial fertilizer and water. If you study it, you'll see a number of reduction points, the cuts are still evident, that's o.k. we've still got several more years growth ahead before it goes in to a bonsai pot. The branch angles are completely natural, no wires yet, maybe next year. The branches will be cut back to the first or second side branches and the apex will be allowed to grow wild for at least one more season. Will probably cut it back to the small side branch just below the padded guy wire. I'll wait awhile before I make that decision. This one also serves to show the results of layering......good rootage The best feature of the tree. Hey man I hope this helps. DSCN2036.JPG DSCN2038.JPG DSCN2040.JPG DSCN2041.JPG

Top Bottom