Korean Hornbeam needs help....

jinpappy

Seed
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have this beautiful hornbeam which is over a year old Korean Hornbeam tree. After I moved to a new place, I had placed the hornbeam near the window south facing and I believe the tree has been scorched in heat with lots of sunlight. The leaves were all burnt so I had to plucked the leaves out. I've the tree now in the shade getting mostly indirect sunlight and maybe a little bit of morning light. I haven't seen the tree growing new buds for months, and now I am starting to get worried. I think it has been 3 months since the hornbeam has taken it's new look.....If anyone can recommend me as I am new to the hornbeam, I would need all the help I can.....I have attached few photos of before and after for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_5825.jpg
    IMG_5825.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5826.jpg
    IMG_5826.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5827.jpg
    IMG_5827.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5828.jpg
    IMG_5828.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4607.jpg
    IMG_4607.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 57

Moridin

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You say near a window do you have this inside? Hornbeam cannot be grown indoors they should be outside in full sun so I'm thinking this is probably dead.

Add your location to your profile as it helps.

jinpappy

Seed
Reaction score
You say near a window do you have this inside? Hornbeam cannot be grown indoors they should be outside in full sun so I'm thinking this is probably dead.

Add your location to your profile as it helps.i am lo

Add your location to your profile as it helps.
what is the difference being inside and outside? I had kept the tree thinking that it was going to get way too much sun, and I am located in Brooklyn, NY

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the biggest difference is inside is inside a building or structure and outside is outside a building or structure.

My condolences to your hornbeam

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Told you trees are smarter than us.

Their rebellion against lockdowns is truly honorable.

Welcome to Crazy!

Windows block a lot of UV rays.

Sorce

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, the light indoors through a window is several times weaker than the direct sun outdoors. In addition, the lack of air circulation, lower humidity, and relatively static temperature indoors are less friendly to trees. Did you say you kept it inside for a full year? If it missed last year's winter dormancy than it also died because it didn't get to sleep.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Besides the fact that windows block light and is not the same as sunlight out doors which will impact the tree's ability to photosynthesize, the air inside a house can be very dry, particularly if the AC or heat is running.

Also a temperate zone tree like the Hornbeam will not be able to experience getting ready for winter and dormancy which alone will kill it eventually.

Trees grow outside in full sun all day, every day it's where they are meant to be

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
UV does not pass through glass, it does through plastic. IR passes through both. Plants that will not survive indoors probably (I speculate) have a higher need for the UV end of the spectrum than others. Any plant that is hardy outdoors needs to stay outdoors to rejuvenate itself over winter.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The tree had some good bones but you had no reason to buy it until you realize that nature never created indoor plants.
It did create some that would tolerate an indoor environment but this is not one of them.

Top Bottom