korean hornbeam pre-bonsai/stock

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hey bonsai nuts,

I am looking for a korean hornbeam pre-bonsai/stock.. I am looking for something to work with, not junky shrubbery.. I am looking for something in the neighborhood of a 2-3 inch trunk with nice roots/nebari.. i am not to worried about the branching as the main point is for something to work on.. If anybody has what I am looking for or knows someone who does reply to this post.. You can also pm me.. I am looking because a hailstorm did some major damage to some of my trees and the hornbeam I was working on took a major hit..

Thanks, Don H.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Try Mark Torpa at the growing grounds, he grows stumps - http://www.thegrowinggrounds.com/

Bill V might have specimen KHB, but the small stuff is typically liners not anything substantial as Don is looking for, although don't rule him out Don.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think Don from Gregory Beach Bonsai has sold KH in the past. You might want to check with him as well. I've bought a few trees from him and have been very happy - he's a great guy and very helpful.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I got to get into the tree business. You guys back east will pay anything to get a tree!

gallons...$55 seedlings ....$35. Yikes!

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Nah, I'm not going the expensive route his time.. I just want something with a substantial trunk and good nebari/root spread.. I can shape the tree..

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke,

Bill V. sells BUNDLES of Korean Hornbeam seedlings for $35--there are ten in a bundle--individuals in those bundles are selected by diameter for use in forest plantings--with individual tree diameters running from 1/4 to 1/2". I bought some from him a dozen years ago when he sold bundles for $25. I can safely say that I could probably sell them for $35-$50 each now. Nice trees from the start.

Bill V. also has access to extremely nice material from Japan (if you really want to pay top dollar) I've seen some of the specimen Korean Hornbeam he has imported for customers from Korea and Japan. It's pretty special...Not seen its match anywhere online.

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I just want something with a substantial trunk and good nebari/root spread..

Hmmm. That sounds like the definition of "expensive" to me. :D

You do get what you pay for . . .

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Smoke,

Bill V. sells BUNDLES of Korean Hornbeam seedlings for $35--there are ten in a bundle--individuals in those bundles are selected by diameter for use in forest plantings--with individual tree diameters running from 1/4 to 1/2". I bought some from him a dozen years ago when he sold bundles for $25. I can safely say that I could probably sell them for $35-$50 each now. Nice trees from the start.

Bill V. also has access to extremely nice material from Japan (if you really want to pay top dollar) I've seen some of the specimen Korean Hornbeam he has imported for customers from Korea and Japan. It's pretty special...Not seen its match anywhere online.

I have seen his bundles, He teaches a few workshops each year at the Shohin convention out here and usually brings bundles for his workshops. Styrax, stewartia, tridents, hackberries and the such. The bundles were about 35.00 but none of them were 1/4 inch and definately none of them were 1/2. They were all matchstick size and about 18 inches long. Seedlings....period. I guess 3.00 bucks a piece is about the going rate for a year of your time:D

Sorry...I'm just spoiled out here....
Out, Al

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Ahhh... At last I have found it... Had to do some digging...

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
See Al now you might start listening to us right coasters about how LUCKY you are out there, you are bonsai central, if nothing else by sheer numbers.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
It is a shame that none of the nurseries around here keep stock for bonsai.. We have the perfect climate.. Although I did buy a 6' column Juniper from Lowes.. It is now much shorter.. Lol.. Looks as though it might make a handsome bonsai..

Top Bottom