Korean Hornbeam (s)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How do you tell the difference between Carpinus turczaninowii and Carpinus coreana? Both are sold as Korean Hornbeam.

Since all the leaves are gone is the bark between them distinctive or must I wait till next spring to find out?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I could be totally wrong about this, but my K. Cornea has thin, very light colored bark, with vertical "fissures" that aren't very pronounced. Other KH that I've seen that I think are turcs have slightly thicker bark, and more clearly defined vertical fissures in the bark. I don't know if Bill's is a turc or not, but the bark on his in this photo is definitely heavier and shows more pronounced fissures than my old imported Yamadori coreana:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 56

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The regular turczaninowii has slightly longer leaves and internodes.I think Coreana is a variation of the regular turczaninowii .They are booth turczaninowii .The Coreana usually has more horizontal growth in the young branches and closer internodes and more rounded smaller leaves.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some more Coreana leaves

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 37

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have two types of korean h. One is the same as the leaves in the photo, the others have much smaller more pleated leaves, not sure if they are a dwarf variation or something else

Top Bottom