Korean Hornbeam summer clean up

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my hornbeam from about four years ago.

Did some clean up on it yesterday to remove some of the long spring growth and open it back up so that the interior can receive some light. During the clean up I found a little protector hiding in the branches. The kids quickly named it Manti and I'm hoping it sticks around to keep the bugs away.

Still need to finish up some cleanup and a rewire to reposition some branches but thought I'd share.

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Manti.jpg
    Manti.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 88
  • back on the bench.jpg
    back on the bench.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 106

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That is a really nice tree! Also like your Cork Bark Elms :)

Grimmy

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice tree! I was very sad to lose two turcs to this winters ravage.

I gave them a full sun setting in the garden and they did well last season, but never popped a bud this spring. I dug one out to look at the roots and they seemed in good shape, not black or mushy. I have the other still in the ground.

Any ideas what, other than 5F for a week, might have caused healthy young trees to just keel over? I'd like to try some more, but don't want the same results.

I think had it not been their first season out, and that season not been so brutal, they would have faired well. Most of my winter damage was to trees just worked that summer, or I did the damage working them this spring when they were so stressed from the bad winter.

Sorry for all the gab, but it looks like you know your way around these trees and I would value your insight. Thanks, Rick

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks Rick! Hard to say what the problem could have been. We had some very low temps in the Bay area last winter as well and I had to bring trees in for about a week since the soil in the pots froze solid one night. I was more concerned about the pots cracking than the trees for the most part but since we very rarely see that type of winter weather here I sided on being more cautious.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It was a rare blast for us to, rarely seeing less than 20F here. Being in the ground and the hardiness of the tree, the healthy growth last season, all things considered, I was a bit baffled by their demise. I guess I could have tented them, but I thought I had it sussed.

Thanks for your input, I'm on the lookout for more. Of all my trees the hornbeams are just perfect little ladies. If I were backed into a corner I would be hard pressed to choose between them and my japanese Maples if I had to choose one tree to work from now on. Thanks again, Rick

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice tree! I was very sad to lose two turcs to this winters ravage.

I gave them a full sun setting in the garden and they did well last season, but never popped a bud this spring. I dug one out to look at the roots and they seemed in good shape, not black or mushy. I have the other still in the ground.

Any ideas what, other than 5F for a week, might have caused healthy young trees to just keel over? I'd like to try some more, but don't want the same results.

I think had it not been their first season out, and that season not been so brutal, they would have faired well. Most of my winter damage was to trees just worked that summer, or I did the damage working them this spring when they were so stressed from the bad winter.

Sorry for all the gab, but it looks like you know your way around these trees and I would value your insight. Thanks, Rick
I imagine your Hornbeams in the ground would of survived cold just fine,especially with snow cover.I had uprooted a tree in autumn with a 2" trunk and not looking great so I threw it under the deck.It was bare root and covered with snow all the winter till' spring when I cut off the dead roots around the edge and re-planted it in the very spot I ripped it up from.It is a healthy green now and recovering(the smaller of the six trees in pic,top right).
I do know this.When they get growing in the ground or wherever,they are incredibly thirsty plants.Maybe cause' mine are planted on tiles,but I am drowning mine in water every two days in the ground.
Good luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonderful tree, I wish I could see more of these in my area. Unfortunately I dont think I have enough winter to keep Hornbeam alive and thriving in my area, though I do have some seeds in my fridge as an experiment.

Top Bottom