Korean Hornbeam Turczaninowii

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This is the one that used to be tall and gangly, I wanted more branching after 2 or 3 years, cut it back hard....and the whole top died off.

Been in this plastic training pot since spring of 2018.
Buds are swelling and greening up....gonna have a look under the hood today.
20200321_155814.jpg20200321_155902.jpg

Guess it'll need some wire and pruning too....

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So, I've been told that this tree is actually a Carpinus Caroliniana.....go figure. I went with what the seller told me, and he went with what the original grower told him.
Anyway.....

Today....lots of leaves.....looking healthy.....tips are still shooting....gaining strength.
Part of me wants to shorten it up....its quite unsightly.....the other part of me says, "put the f-ing scissors down fool! Let it grow all year and prune in Autumn."....
I didn't reduce the roots at repotting.....probably could trim it up......😵
20200604_194720.jpg20200604_194738.jpg20200604_194756.jpg20200604_194847.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've been told that this tree is actually a Carpinus Caroliniana.
Those leaves don't look like caroliniana to me, they look more like my Korean hornbeam. I'm not even positive which Korean type I have but their leaves look nothing like our native type. I can't really verbalize the differences, but yours doesn't strike me as caroliniana.

What identifiers did the person use to conclude it was that species? I'll try to get some pics in the morning comparing my two.

Regardless of the type, I think you still have a cool tree with a lot of potential! I don't think the top dying out really set you back, there's still a good tree in there!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Those leaves don't look like caroliniana to me, they look more like my Korean hornbeam. I'm not even positive which Korean type I have but their leaves look nothing like our native type. I can't really verbalize the differences, but yours doesn't strike me as caroliniana.

What identifiers did the person use to conclude it was that species? I'll try to get some pics in the morning comparing my two.

Regardless of the type, I think you still have a cool tree with a lot of potential! I don't think the top dying out really set you back, there's still a good tree in there!
Damn..... I totally meant Carpinus Koreana....
I'm dumb.
Brain fart.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Also, thanks!
I think this fall, I'll trim and wire it out carefully....and try to create a naturalistic style tree, should work....might need some more upward growing shoots to fill the center of the canopy, but we will see.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
totally meant Carpinus Koreana...
See, this is why I'm confused about my Korean type. Everywhere else calls it Carpinus coreana, but my tag says this:
1591384009375897263096.jpg
So, is "koreana" just another spelling of "coreana," or are these two distinct varieties? This is a Meehan's tag.

A search on the web of 'Carpinus koreana' only gives 'coreana' results, so I'm guessing these are the same, only someone else spelled it wrong?

And can anybody tell me the difference between 'coreana' and 'turczaninowii'??? Mine gets a doo doo brownish yellow fall color if that helps:p:p:p

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
See, this is why I'm confused about my Korean type. Everywhere else calls it Carpinus coreana, but my tag says this:
View attachment 307098
So, is "koreana" just another spelling of "coreana," or are these two distinct varieties? This is a Meehan's tag.

A search on the web of 'Carpinus koreana' only gives 'coreana' results, so I'm guessing these are the same, only someone else spelled it wrong?

And can anybody tell me the difference between 'coreana' and 'turczaninowii'??? Mine gets a doo doo brownish yellow fall color if that helps:p:p:p
Good point, probably just a spelling thing.
I think the Turczaninowii is supposed to have a less rounded leaf shape....more pointy....

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 307098

just a spelling thing I believe.
Another form of turzaninowii.....
I always write coreana....smaller less pointed leaves and closer internode

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I keep going back and forth in my head about whether or not I should give this one a hair cut now.

My original plan was to let it run all year and then trim and wire in the fall....as to allow the solar panels to do their job.

I didn't remove much root at repotting, and it's getting really gangly now....and very healthy too.

I think I probably should go ahead and cut it back to some of the smaller interior branches.....and hope it shoots out again.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
20200621_080754.jpg20200621_080803.jpg20200621_080833.jpg20200621_080843.jpg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Foliar spray a fulvic acid powder at 1/8tsp and kelp powder at 1/16tsp per gallon water.that is 5:2 ratio foliar spray.Mix together and also a bit of yucca powder surfectant.Ph 6.2-7.0foliar sprays.
Will induce backbuds instead of Meristem elongation and then cut back in a couple months.
This always induces premature bud break of lateral buds in my trees.
NO MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK......the cytokenesis will produce heat and burn foliage from the kelp.
My 2” seedlings are already backbuds!!
56FF694C-406D-4D86-A756-53337B37AB5F.jpeg

Attachments

• 8EA17CBD-24FB-429D-89D1-98D28C907DD6.jpeg
    8EA17CBD-24FB-429D-89D1-98D28C907DD6.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 38

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Perhaps a mixture of both cut back and the kelp👍👍👍
Or a couple kelps then cut back...ah👍
The fulvic acid powder will transport the cytokinins from kelp directly to plant ions in as little as 4 hours,especially if done the first 15 minutes of lights out or no direct sun at end of day.The cytokines will trigger auxin supression at meristem tip growth and force plant to push its emergency responce of branch break or damage prematurely....and push the side buds.

Last edited:

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Foliar spray a fulvic acid powder at 1/8tsp and kelp powder at 1/16tsp per gallon water.that is 5:2 ratio foliar spray.Mix together and also a bit of yucca powder surfectant.Ph 6.2-7.0foliar sprays.
Will induce backbuds instead of Meristem elongation and then cut back in a couple months.
This always induces premature bud break of lateral buds in my trees.
NO MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK......the cytokenesis will produce heat and burn foliage from the kelp.
My 2” seedlings are already backbuds!!
View attachment 310634
That's some interesting sorcery!
Much appreciated!

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I keep going back and forth in my head about whether or not I should give this one a hair cut now.
Thoughts?
Opinions?
View attachment 310629
My Korean Hornbeam has grown down a path as your photo quoted here presents. It began spreading horizontally...more like a flat top tree. Branches cross over each other all over the tree. A tangled mess to some....a natural tree to me....and it remains quite low and spreading. Right now I am in let-it-grow mode to thicken the trunk. It’s a solid mass of leaves today....really healthy....and “lower” like your trees shows. It’s a nice departure from a fully upright tree. My thought is that you have the opportunity for something interesting with the horizontally spreading nature of the tree. I'd let it grow and not cut, grow horizontally, and let the side branches continue to more thickness. The only cutting I’d do would likely be those two top branches forming a V right at the top in this photo. I’d cut them to the lowest leaf....and think horizontal not vertical.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'll have to get all the ingredients on order.
Powders are best as they do not include excessive amounts of npk.....which would stall rooting of cuttings if u ever went that route.
I also dislike npk on leaves .I always use a wash after fertilizing.my little seedlings get soaked all over in npk...so I rinse leaves everyday.

I have enough of this stuff to last many years.....buy bulk🙂

Attachments

• 9971B530-5719-4B5C-A02A-37317D0A7E0B.jpeg
    9971B530-5719-4B5C-A02A-37317D0A7E0B.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 1A89BDE0-BB7A-4D73-BC6D-477850B13771.jpeg
    1A89BDE0-BB7A-4D73-BC6D-477850B13771.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom