Korean Hornbeam Turczaninowii

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
My Korean Hornbeam has grown down a path as your photo quoted here presents. It began spreading horizontally...more like a flat top tree. Branches cross over each other all over the tree. A tangled mess to some....a natural tree to me....and it remains quite low and spreading. Right now I am in let-it-grow mode to thicken the trunk. It’s a solid mass of leaves today....really healthy....and “lower” like your trees shows. It’s a nice departure from a fully upright tree. My thought is that you have the opportunity for something interesting with the horizontally spreading nature of the tree. I'd let it grow and not cut, grow horizontally, and let the side branches continue to more thickness. The only cutting I’d do would likely be those two top branches forming a V right at the top in this photo. I’d cut them to the lowest leaf....and think horizontal not vertical.
It used to be a tall tree. But the top died off. I would like to fill in the bald spot a bit and round out the canopy for a more natural deciduous look.
I think I'll keep the flat top style for my BC. I do appreciate the you chiming in however! Thanks!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Look how much lateral growth there is compared to a relatively weak selection of upward growth. This tree is "not unhealthy" and certainly not "very healthy". Build some vigor for a much better reaction to spring pruning. This tree needs to be re-trained to grow tall.

Mine? I bundle up all that lateral growth like I was going to tie-off a man-bun and cinch it up with some twine. Maybe you could find a strong central leader to wire up and cut back some "exterior" branching to let light in? Doesn't really matter because I would just put it on a "back-bench" and assess in spring of '22.....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But it Now!

This ain't England!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll give you $20 more.

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
See, this is why I'm confused about my Korean type. Everywhere else calls it Carpinus coreana, but my tag says this:
View attachment 307098
So, is "koreana" just another spelling of "coreana," or are these two distinct varieties? This is a Meehan's tag.

A search on the web of 'Carpinus koreana' only gives 'coreana' results, so I'm guessing these are the same, only someone else spelled it wrong?

And can anybody tell me the difference between 'coreana' and 'turczaninowii'??? Mine gets a doo doo brownish yellow fall color if that helps:p:p:p

Replying to a post almost 2 months ago.

To the question asked, what is the difference between species coreana and turczaninowii?

As far as I can tell, there is no difference. They are 2 names for the exact same species. There is a debate that has not been resolved as to which name, and herbarium specimens were published first and validly met all the rules of nomenclature. I don't know the specifics. But Chicago Botanic Garden, Unv. of Penn, & Morton Arboretum consider coreana to be correct. New York Bot. Garden, North Carolina State Unv., Unv. of Maryland, & Unv. of South Carolina consider turczaninowii to be correct.

The name coreana is the correct spelling. The name koreana is an orthographic error (misspelling) and is considered a synonym of coreana.

Interestingly, answering this question leads down a rabbit hole. There are 6 species of "hornbeams" native to Korea. A couple occur either in Japan and or China too, but there are 6 species that can be found in Korea. For whatever it is worth. I've seen C. cordata, it has slightly larger, heart shaped leaves. I have a C. coreana, the others I am not familiar with.
  1. Carpinus cordata Blume – Sawa hornbeam - Primorye, China, Korea, Japan
  2. Carpinus eximia Nakai – Korea
  3. Carpinus laxiflora (Siebold & Zucc.) Blume – Aka-shide hornbeam - Japan, Korea
  4. Carpinus tschonoskii Maxim. – Chonowski's hornbeam - China, Korea, Japan
  5. Carpinus turczaninowii Hance – (C. coreana) Korean hornbeam, - China, Korea, Japan
  6. Ostrya japonica Sarg.- Japan, Korea, northern China - Asian Hop-flowered Hornbeam
I do have Carpinus caroliniana, and Ostrya virginiana in my collection too.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Quick update pics....thinking that I'm gonna have to experiment with approach grafting a new leader next year.....this tree won't grow UP, only OUT.
It's as healthy as ever this year, so that's good.
I might trim back the longest shoots soon, and keep a general silhouette....and reassess in Autumn.
20210529_205324.jpg20210529_205436.jpg20210529_205508.jpg20210529_205534.jpg20210529_205626.jpg20210529_205634.jpg20210529_205321.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Similarly....my Korean Hornbeam grows out...not up. I stopped fighting the natural growth of the tree and it has been very healthy over the years. This is my late spring. Photo from about five minutes ago. Trunk base is 2-1/4” (5.5cm). The root pad stays at about 2” (5cm) in depth. The highest it seems to want to grow is 15” (38cm) and I keep it about 25” (63.5cm) wide at the canopy. It will easily grow out to a healthy 36” (92cm) in the summer thickening the trunk more each year of a short growing season.

13A6E36D-0630-4FA7-B95F-27061B617C2C.jpeg

Top Bottom