Korean Hornbeam

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I thought I'd start a thread on my new Korean Hornbeam that I plan on developing this year. I love this tree, and can't wait to see it progress. I was going to repot this year but I'm not sure that I will in order to let it just grow wild. I need a bud or two to pop on the right side of the apex, or John and I are thinking that a thread graft may be in order. Anyways, here's the best picture I have and let me know what you think.

kh1_02.16.2013_2.JPG

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Great piece of material to start with. A graft should take fairly easily.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice. thanks for finding the time to share!

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you cut all those branches back heavily, chances are you will get buds where you want them. Grafting on a smooth-barked tree like hornbeam and beech can be a disaster from an aesthetic standpoint, as scarring is quite likely.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good choice, it is an interesting shape already. I would think that you could cut it back to stimulate buds, then let it grow wild this year as well.
keep us updated!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree about trimming it back (maybe even reducing the height some) to induce backbudding over grafting.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks guys. Jim good point about the smooth barked trees and grafting. Hopefully we can get some buds to pop in the right places. I will certainly keep this post updated.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you cut all those branches back heavily, chances are you will get buds where you want them. Grafting on a smooth-barked tree like hornbeam and beech can be a disaster from an aesthetic standpoint, as scarring is quite likely.
Follow-up on this suggestion, as I have an older (korean) hornbeam that is also somewhat overgrown and leggy (and lacking branches on the trunk). When is the best time to do this hard pruning? Before buds swell/open, or after the first growth flush has hardened off? I got pretty good bud set last fall, but mostly out at the ends of branches...

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chris,

I have limited experience with KH but mine was the same as you described before I chopped it. New buds formed at the new ends weeks after. They are about to open here.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you hard pruned a few weeks ago, before buds swelled/opened? Did it only bud near the cuts, or also further back on branches/trunk? Have you posted any photos on bnut?

I've been advised locally to let the first growth flush harden off, then prune hard. But my tree suffered a repotting-induced weakening in 2011 and I'm not sure if it's completely recovered yet, so may be a slightly different situation.

Chris

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mine are still leafless (winter and all) to date.

I got it late Nov, repotted on December due to poor health (root bound and roots are mostly dead) then branches were trimmed. Later (around late January) I decided to to remove more unwanted branches (as nice as they are) and reduced some branches more. The removed branches already have rice grain sized buds (4mm long). Most of the new buds appeared really close the end of the branches. I will check later today if there are any backbudding along the main trunk or major branch.

I have not posted a pic of it yet.

BTW, bottom line, I always chop before bud formation if possible esp deciduous trees. Force the tree to put new growth where I want/need them. Just my style I guess.

Last edited:

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Follow-up on this suggestion, as I have an older (korean) hornbeam that is also somewhat overgrown and leggy (and lacking branches on the trunk). When is the best time to do this hard pruning? Before buds swell/open, or after the first growth flush has hardened off? I got pretty good bud set last fall, but mostly out at the ends of branches...

Chris

I prune mine in the fall.

Attachments

• 4_09_1.JPG
    4_09_1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 177

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I prune mine in the fall.

Have you noticed any back budding in main trunk after pruning?

Mine have a few small growth near existing crotch area (split area from trunk to branch) but not sure how long they've been there. Seems active this coming spring though judging by the bud(s) on it.

Last edited:

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
John was nice enough to help me get this potted up as I rushed home to my family on Saturday. Rally cheap pot but we wanted to make sure it was in good soil to grow. This tree excites me, and we might have has a bud pop that we can use a branch to fill in the middle. Time will tell.

image.jpg

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Excellent trunk base. If this were mine I'd be very tempted to chop it back to shohin size and build new branches.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Excellent trunk base. If this were mine I'd be very tempted to chop it back to shohin size and build new branches.

Yes agreed! It looks like the top part was grown too quickly. Excellent base! Enjoy your new tree :)

Top Bottom