Korean Hornbeam

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I originally got this Korean Hornbeam as a gift six or so years ago when I was just starting out. The caliper at the time was only about 3/4", and the nursery owner had let wire cut deeply into the bottom of the trunk to help scar it and improve taper (not sure that it was an effective technique and would not recommend it).

I ended up digging out the wire, and had it in a growing container for a couple of years. The scars weren't healing, and I wasn't all that happy with the tree so I planted it in the ground on a tile for the last three or four years. I let it grow to about 8-10' in height, chopped it back, and started training a new leader. My goal was to heal the scars, thicken it up a bit, and then sell it.

I dug it up yesterday afternoon and was pleasantly surprised at how well the ground growing worked. The scars are healed, and except for a thick crossing root that was removed on the lower right, the base is actually pretty decent. I still need to remove some of the unwanted branches and carve back the main chop area a bit more.

I tend to go for more masculine trees, but I might end up keeping this tree after all.

Korean Hornbeam 2013.jpg

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely a keeper.

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geez, maybe I should sell it :rolleyes: