Korean hornbeam

Reaction score
I have a hornbeam I obtained off of ebay. It was a chopped tree with a fairly nice trunk and nabri. After it budded out and produced leaves, I noticed it started burning all new growth and has small brown dots on newer leaves. Any info would be great

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Update your profile with your location...it will help narrow down possible causes of your problem.

Also give more details. How are you watering/fertilizing? Where is the tree located? etc.

If you can take and post pics of it the better.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Info

I am located in Northern NC, I have not been watering much in last couple weeks cause of lots of natural rain water. Temps have been in upper 80's and very humid. Plant is in a very good draining soil, partial shade.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's what I've noticed:

Threads with pictures get a lot more responses. So, like Dario mentioned, post a picture man!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
With all the rain and humidity recently, it could be fungal. Only way to determine is to show pictures of the leaves. Have you been fertilizing at all? Is it ever in full sun in the afternoon?

Please go to your profile, and input your location, so you can get good answers to your questions....

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have been growing coreana hornbeams for two years now and I have noticed that if the tree has any root stress or stress for any matter it will show you in the leaves.Brown edges or a slightly brown color.It could be possibly the roots have suffered shock over the winter and now does not have quite enough to support the foliage that sprouted.I think that is happening to one of mine that I left out all winter.

Reaction score
Pics of hornbeam

Here is a shot of how the new growth dies and burns.

Attachments

• IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 51

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You may have possibly pinched the first flush of growth too soon.It is very important to let the first flush grow out until during the month of branch/leaf hardening.Then you can pinch/shear.Pinching too early really weakens the tree for the rest of the season.I did that last year to one of mine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is what I did. I pinched some of the new growth a few weeks ago, since then the tree has really slowed down.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello 5th.. Pinching, when done at the wrong time or too much, can really weaken that section of the tree. Pinching is a technique reserved for a more finished tree. I cannot really see the tree very well in the pic. However, I would guess that this tree probably would not be ready to be pinched for another 3-4 years. Maybe not even then.

Rob

fore

Omono
Reaction score
This month's Bonsai Focus has a large article on pruning, when, where... Pretty thorough article.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You may have possibly pinched the first flush of growth too soon.It is very important to let the first flush grow out until during the month of branch/leaf hardening.Then you can pinch/shear.Pinching too early really weakens the tree for the rest of the season.I did that last year to one of mine.

I learned that by pinching to early on a couple of Crabapple's - no real harm, just something to remember next year. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom