Korean Hornbeam

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
This hornbeam was purchased some 8 years ago from forum member Chuhin. Yesterday I pruned back the apex, wired the secondary branches and some of the thinner primary branches. It still has a long way to go, especially the left side, but it is finally making progress. The pot is by Nick Lenz.

After wiring
vk3tDyt.jpg

Before wiring
c1BPS48.jpg

Spring 2007, as purchased
JBLdMjH.jpg

Currently the branches are all wired downwards and yes it has the branch structure of a conifer. Another way of looking at it is that it has the branch structure of a typical informal upright bonsai, like the hornbeams shown below. I'm pretty sure all the hornbeams below were wired in a similar way a long time ago. To me this is the most logical design choice for the tree, and I am just going along with the path that was decided for this tree decades ago.

Once the tertiary and quaternary ramification stars to develop it will be allowed to grow upwards and less wiring will be done. This should give that more twiggy deciduous look that the trees below have. At least that's the plan. I'm not kidding myself, my tree is 100% tree in training. Deciduous bonsai are bloody difficult.

6PezPbi.png

2DfZjIu.png

A4u4S1A.png

Why don't I just style it like a real deciduous tree like Walter Pall's stunning Beech shown below (one of my favourite deciduous bonsai)? Because my tree doesn't have the natural trunkline and bones that his beech has. Sometimes you just have to play the cards given and "make the bonsai look like a bonsai". Bonsai definitely don't always have to look like trees - they just have to look cool!
g3EtluV.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love this tree. Love the shape. I feel like you made the comments about styling it more like Walter Pall's tree in an attempt to prior defend against what others might say. I think your tree is magnificent, in any circle and by any judging. I really like the pics of the other trees you posted as well. Especially the third pic, the one right above Walter's tree.

As far as your tree and the image it conveys. Your tree appeals to me more than Walters. Your tree has beautiful taper, beautiful movement, a great base and is very powerful. My comments are not about the work, but the image of the natural tree. However, your work is outstanding with this material.

Rob

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Your hornbeam looks fantastic!
I am really excited about hornbeam now because I have 5 Coreana's in the ground.I love to see as many informal upright Hornbeams as possible.Thanks for posting
I cannot resist,I am going to leave a pic of mine from last autumn.They're on tiles and seem to have made it through the winter.They started out in colanders then went in the ground last year.Root base is up to almost 3" on one of them.Im gonna' dig them up every three years.
Your tree is great inspiration,thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 114

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Awesome tree! Gives me some inspiration for mine as well... I guess, on this forum, you have to "predefend" your choices lol. Btw...I agree 100%..."sometimes a bonsai just has to look cool"...awesome:)

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I love this tree. Love the shape. I feel like you made the comments about styling it more like Walter Pall's tree in an attempt to prior defend against what others might say. I think your tree is magnificent, in any circle and by any judging. I really like the pics of the other trees you posted as well. Especially the third pic, the one right above Walter's tree.

As far as your tree and the image it conveys. Your tree appeals to me more than Walters. Your tree has beautiful taper, beautiful movement, a great base and is very powerful. My comments are not about the work, but the image of the natural tree. However, your work is outstanding with this material.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I'm glad you like the tree. Yup as some have noticed I definitely took a defensive approach to my post, perhaps this was unnecessary.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Rob, I'm glad you like the tree. Yup as some have noticed I definitely took a defensive approach to my post, perhaps this was unnecessary.

We do what we feel. I would like to say something that I have addressed a couple of times on this site that is in line with your post. In regards to styling trees. The whole concept of labeling a styled deciduous tree as "pine style" because it is an informal upright is just not the accurate. There is no "pine style. Also, just because a deciduous tree lends itself towards a cascade or informal upright does not, in anyway, detract from the quality of the tree. In fact, in many cases, it makes for a more interesting bonsai. In my opinion some of the best deciduous bonsai are informal upright or loose intepretations of informal uprights. Pines can be cascades, informals, formals and bunjins. It is best to concentrate on the individual tree. Years ago, when I first heard the term "styled like a pine", I thought, hmmm that is not really an accurate description.

Rob

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I admire your tree and think you have handled it's design with great taste. I like it and think you have done an excellent job with it.

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Beautiful tree! A Korean Hornbeam is on my must have list for next year. Keep us updated.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These are the kinds of trees that got me interested in bonsai in the first place. Great looking tree.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tree looks good. I'm still puzzled by the defensive attitude, though. I bet if you hadn't brought it up, no one would have made any comments about "pine styling".

Anyway, the way I see it...your tree is a great example of "classic informal upright bonsai", the kind of styling that we are all taught, is in the books, etc. Lots of taper (almost sumo like), (relatively) big base, diminishing segments that change direction, branches on the outside of curves, etc. As you said, this is making very good use of the characteristics of the starting material. A lot harder to do than it appears, I think.

Walter's beech tree looks like trees I see in the landscape. The taper is good but not as pronounced as your tree, and the direction changes in the trunk are also more subtle. They are so different that comparing them is almost like comparing apples and oranges, at least to my eye.

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wonderful tree. Skip the defense, by anyones measure this is and will be a fine specimen. Such good movement, and taper. Nice fit with the pot as well, do you ever get buds on any of those bumps on the left above the low branch? I would try for another branch there. I see you have a back branch there, but it would add some dimension to have one further front I think.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very nice tree.

Only thing I will do different is to shorten the long branches you wired (esp near the top). It will look uglier but you will get all the buds at the right place and work your ramification from there.

The top also should be more like a broom...not pine branch doing down. Look at your reference pictures to see what I mean.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree with a lot of character. It may look like a pine now but it won't for very long. The reason the top doesn't look like a broom now is because it's just getting started. The apex has to be kept in check for apically dominant trees or you will just get really thick coarse growth on top.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It may look like a pine now but it won't for very long. The reason the top doesn't look like a broom now is because it's just getting started. The apex has to be kept in check for apically dominant trees or you will just get really thick coarse growth on top.

Sorry to disagree. Course growth or not, you do not wire the apex on D-trees that way. It is no different than building a formal upright...think of the apex as such.

BUT it is his tree, we can only share our thoughts.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You missed the point. The apex isn't there yet.

A BIG mistake not to start developing your apex ASAP and continuously. The way I see it...it is there, just wired wrong (which is my point)...unless he wants this tree to be really tall (which I doubt).

Again, just sharing my point. Did not intend to argue so I am out of this thread. :)

My apex virt...
attachment.php

Attachments

• vk3tDyt.jpg
    vk3tDyt.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A BIG mistake not to start developing your apex ASAP and continuously. The way I see it...it is there, just wired wrong (which is my point)...unless he wants this tree to be really tall (which I doubt).

Again, just sharing my point. Did not intend to argue so I am out of this thread. :)

How would you know ? You come off as the authority and qualify it with IMHO.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Very nice tree.

Only thing I will do different is to shorten the long branches you wired (esp near the top). It will look uglier but you will get all the buds at the right place and work your ramification from there.

The top also should be more like a broom...not pine branch doing down. Look at your reference pictures to see what I mean.

I agree the top is not there yet and it should (must) have a few upward growing branches to create a rounded broom effect. Some of those upward growing branches will be emerging from the downward growing branches as in the trees shown and as in your apex virtual. The rest don't exist yet. I am just working on developing the lower 2/3rds. I've already tried to build an apex twice over the last two years but removed it due to over thickening or lack of taper, including in the most recent styling.

Your virt is excellent and is just what I am going for in the future.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I agree the top is not there yet and it should (must) have a few upward growing branches to create a rounded broom effect. Some of those upward growing branches will be emerging from the downward growing branches as in the trees shown and as in your apex virtual. The rest don't exist yet. I am just working on developing the lower 2/3rds. I've already tried to build an apex twice over the last two years but removed it due to over thickening or lack of taper, including in the most recent styling.

Your virt is excellent and is just what I am going for in the future.

If that is the case, then change the way you wired the top. Most of the main branches I used on that virt are existing branches you wired downwards. D-tree branches are like that of a fan...vertical on the top and slowly lying down as you go lower. Fast and easy rule I can share to you.

Start building it...properly.

Top Bottom