Korean Hornbeam

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So,This little guy will be arriving at my house.I could not help myself.Not many of these available.
I will know better when I see the tree,to decide if I will grow it as a small bonsai or put in a wooden box to increase vigor and try to double the size of the trunk.
I noticed when these start growing a lot as this one seems to be,they can put on girth fairly quickly.
10" pot
14" tall
1" trunk.
I wonder if it would be good to slip pot into a box this season to give more aeration and let grow out.And then just repot next season.A box would increase vigor in good bonsai soil,then worry about roots next season.
I am definitely leaning towards the box....pronto!
I mean,a one inch trunk is pretty tiny.
IMG_0858.JPG IMG_0859.JPG IMG_0860.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks pretty vigorous as is, why mess with it?
If you don't mind my asking, where did you find it. Looks like the size I enjoy!o_O:D:D:D:D
I guess if you REALLY wanted, you could tip it out and maybe tease out the roots around the edge of the root ball.:confused::D:D:D
I wouldn't mess with it, personally...the risk really outweighs the gain of a couple months extra in a grow box. ;):cool::cool:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMG_0084.JPG IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0083.JPG In 2013 I attempted this ,but did not approach properly and I do not have the trees anymore.......Damn!
I started in colander with potting soil and they grew so fast,I could not keep watered.So ,I put in the ground.And in just one year they really thickened up.......of course I abandoned them.......like a good newbie:eek::mad:

So I want to give this another shot in a grow box with good soil that will promote rooting and health.
Does not take that long!

The pictures show the span of a year.Should of kept them bad boys:oops:
IMG_0084.JPG IMG_0085.JPG IMG_0083.JPG

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks pretty vigorous as is, why mess with it?
If you don't mind my asking, where did you find it. Looks like the size I enjoy!o_O:D:D:D:D
I guess if you REALLY wanted, you could tip it out and maybe tease out the roots around the edge of the root ball.:confused::D:D:D
I wouldn't mess with it, personally...the risk really outweighs the gain of a couple months extra in a grow box. ;):cool::cool:
I see your point,thanks.
Just put in a box next spring.....I am in process of moving anyway.So will make a good project for next year.

I got the living one that makes this thread from Nebonsai.com

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
you can slip pot into a bigger grow box, just don't harass the roots and get it secure. I've done it a few time with no ill affect - watch Bjorns latest YouTube video and he goes about doing just this.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you can slip pot into a bigger grow box, just don't harass the roots and get it secure. I've done it a few time with no ill affect - watch Bjorns latest YouTube video and he goes about doing just this.
Thanks,I will definately take a look at his video today.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool,everything looks great!

Always impressed with New England Bonsai!
Proper soil goes a long way,in my opinion.

I was pleased to see the trunk was bigger than listed on the site.

So,I see no reason to put this in a grow box ,to increase the trunk anyway.
Just going to pot up next year,although it is in a nice little grow pot with excellent drainage.
Need to create some branching in the back of the tree.........I like it though!
2nd photo is front and leans nicely in that direction!
14" tall ,table to apex
1.25" trunk
2" trunkbase

IMG_0923.JPG IMG_0924.JPG IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0933.JPG

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice, love the HB!
Thanks Judy!
Here are some better photos
Can see some stocky branches goin' on up there.
Then the front,right,left, back.
As you can see the left side leaves something to be desired,got to get some growth over there,or maybe remove that bottom long,thin one someday.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    411.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    226.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    267.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0951.JPG
    IMG_0951.JPG
    244.7 KB · Views: 23

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Or instead of that,just let a sacrifice leader grow out that bottom thin one,probably make back bud.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Does this one grow fast? There seem to be two kinds, fast ones and slow ones.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Does this one grow fast? There seem to be two kinds, fast ones and slow ones.
Yea,they are capable of putting on some big growth.....the coreana ones.They are the slower of the two.Turczaninowii?? Being faster.
I am hoping a moderate feed schedule will send some leaders from that skinny branch.Not sure I want to feed heavily schedule cause' they will get some long internodes these trees.
Did you see this from Ryan?he talked of certain deciduous trees in general and partial defoliation and includes hornbeam. I can watch these over and over.

Top Bottom