Korean Hornbeam

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I got my first Korean Hornbeam last year at the REBS show in Oakland, California. It had tons of ramification, the start of some nice nebari, and a nice thick trunk. As purchased :
KH.jpg

Close up of the nebari :

nebari.jpg

Putting on some nice fall colors :

fall.jpg

Finally repotted and ready for spring! It's a little off-center in this pot because some structural roots made it hard to squeeze in. I had reduced the roots quite a bit so was hesitant to remove any further.

KH_potted.jpg

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I like that it looks like you are changing the "Christmas tree pointy top" to a more natural spreading deciduous apex.

Nice tree. Nice pot. The tree has a good future.
Yea I'm definitely aiming for a naturalistic deciduous apex. We'll see what it does this year and what I have to work with.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Isn't it too early for repotting? I can I just throw on some cold protection?
The originator of the thread is in San Jose CA. Warm climate there.

Nice tree, the nice basal flare is planted so deep in the new pot that it can't be seen though. That is a good characteristic, and really adds to the image and the taper of the tree.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Which one is this? I have always represented it as C. coreana, but don't remember if there was a proper tag almost 20 years ago.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
The originator of the thread is in San Jose CA. Warm climate there.

Nice tree, the nice basal flare is planted so deep in the new pot that it can't be seen though. That is a good characteristic, and really adds to the image and the taper of the tree.
I planted it deeper to promote new roots at the right level to match the nice roots that were already there. I took a gouge and scored the bark along roots kind of like ground layering.

I'll plant it higher once those new roots develop

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Maybe Brent will clear this up....definately smaller and more compact growth in my experiance....
Makes me wonder about mine.....

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Makes me wonder about mine.....
Coreana👍
The plain turczninowio have slightly longer leaves and further internodes...the japanese hornbeam have the pointiest leaves

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Coreana👍
The plain turczninowio have slightly longer leaves and further internodes...the japanese hornbeam have the pointiest leaves
Wow, the "bonsai master" that I got it from had dozens of them, all grown for bonsai for 36 years.....he was told by the 90 year old guy who started them that they were Turczaninowii.

Top Bottom