Kotobuki style/info help

skjohnson37

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've recently received a Kotobuki pine with what looks like a heinous grafting scar right in the middle of a V-shaped trunk. I've got a ton of interior branches to work with, but no idea what to do with them. The tree seems in good spirits, but given that I let my JBP get away from me, I want to get an early handle on this one.

Do I chop one or the other trunk (if so, which?) or wire one side in while letting the other grow for trunk strength? In my newness, I ask - does this tree inherently lend itself to one style or another? What leads you to that conclusion?

Would the decandling/pruning/repotting schedule be similar to a JBP?

Looking forward to working this one side-by-side with my JBP to learn the difference.

img_3073-jpg.444569
IMG_3075.JPGIMG_3076.JPGIMG_3077.JPGIMG_3078.JPGIMG_3079.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3073.JPG
    IMG_3073.JPG
    276.9 KB · Views: 183

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Depends on your goal for the tree…what style, how large?
One easy option appears to be this front, pruned in early fall to establish the first primary branches, and add some movement to the trunk. I wouldn’t be in too big a hurry to make these cuts as they’re aggressive. If you just got the tree, give yourself some time to evaluate options.
8DFB87FF-EC9E-4502-B38F-A5AA1F775E5A.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Would the decandling/pruning/repotting schedule be similar to a JBP?

Looking forward to working this one side-by-side with my JBP to learn the difference.
There is no difference. A kotobuki IS a JBP - just a specific cultivar that has short dark stiff needles and backbuds like crazy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Though you already knew you were here!

Sorce

skjohnson37

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Depends on your goal for the tree…what style, how large?
One easy option appears to be this front, pruned in early fall to establish the first primary branches, and add some movement to the trunk. I wouldn’t be in too big a hurry to make these cuts as they’re aggressive. If you just got the tree, give yourself some time to evaluate options.
View attachment 444605

Thanks for the response, Brian. I enjoy reading your comments here and have taken significant guidance from them.

On this tree, I almost wonder if I could manage a twin trunk style. I've got both of them, why not use them, yes? On size, I think I see something in the small to medium range. Perhaps 18-24" at the end?

I hear you on not being in a hurry, and do not plan anything major until at least the spring. My only concern is that I let my JBP go for so long that I didn't get any movement in the trunk and anticipate making significant chops to create some. I want to try to avoid running into the same problem on this one.

skjohnson37

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to Crazy!

Though you already knew you were here!

Sorce
Thanks :) And yes. It's amazing how quickly I've gone from 'I think I'd really enjoy developing a bonsai tree,' to 'I should buy more trees.'

skjohnson37

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is no difference. A kotobuki IS a JBP - just a specific cultivar that has short dark stiff needles and backbuds like crazy.
This is good gouge, thanks. Hopefully I'll learn to properly manage the backbudding into good branching.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
On this tree, I almost wonder if I could manage a twin trunk style. I've got both of them, why not use them, yes? On size, I think I see something in the small to medium range. Perhaps 18-24" at the end?
Maybe, if the split is low enough, and as the base swells with time. It’s just not a very common look with Kotobuki, but worth considering.
Also, FWIW, not sure this cultivar tolerates summer candle-cutting technique well. Think the pros handle seasonal care more like JWP.

skjohnson37

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe, if the split is low enough, and as the base swells with time. It’s just not a very common look with Kotobuki, but worth considering.
Also, FWIW, not sure this cultivar tolerates summer candle-cutting technique well. Think the pros handle seasonal care more like JWP.

It was my understanding that JBP candles should be cut in June or July. Is that not correct?

(Very glad I've not cut anything yet)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It was my understanding that JBP candles should be cut in June or July. Is that not correct?

(Very glad I've not cut anything yet)
It depends on where you are in the development stage. Candle cutting is a refinement technique to create ramification (and together with shoot selection and needle plucking) to balance growth. If you are earlier in the development process you may want to let all/some of the growth run.

Top Bottom