Kotobuki, upright

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to see a few more angles on this...and sho crush it and make you come to the MI show!

Looks nice!

Greenhoused?

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to see a few more angles on this...and sho crush it and make you come to the MI show!

Looks nice!

Greenhoused?

Sorce
Thanks Sorce, yes this one is in a greenhouse for the winter. It is a nice little tree, very strong back budding! I am closer to Vermont and New York, hitting the Nationals this year! I can't wait to see all the amazing trees!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sorce, yes this one is in a greenhouse for the winter. It is a nice little tree, very strong back budding! I am closer to Vermont and New York, hitting the Nationals this year! I can't wait to see all the amazing trees!
Very awesome...I'm trying to get there...?

Sorce

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any results from decandeling?
After talking it over, I actually skipped decandling on this guy. I thought since I am still pruning back all branches I will let it grow strong for the season. This tree grows short stiff needles, so I will be curious to see the needle size when I do decandle.

johnwong

Seedling
Reaction score
I have a 20cm young seedling kotobuki. I realised the between branches distance is quite far. What should I do to encourage branch growth? Or should I wait until I have my desired height?218AF910-4636-4D6B-A3E6-61D8A7D75EA3.jpeg

Leo in N E Illinois

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Don't worry about long internodes. It is young and will bud back easily when it is time to worry about branching. Right now you are increasing trunk diameter, you need to grow out the trunk to get diameter, and to heal the graft.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As Leo said, let it grow. I have learned that these guys back bud like crazy, so when the time comes, you will be able to manage the branches.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This past weekend I decandled this one for the first time. I am curious to see its response. My other kotobuki that is a slanting/semi cascade didn't get decandled.

johnwong

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, I realised my lower branches has weak buds. What should I do? Remove weak buds?
And also brown leaves at the trunk3BA9301A-4B6B-4E6F-B608-E2E558486B91.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I would leave it alone for now. Looks like freeze damage. Remove dead needles as you see them, and old needles in fall.
The shoot by the arrow looks bad, either damaged or a pest. Still leave it, but don’t expect it to live. Hopefully you have more trees than this one to keep you busy...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Pines 5
Maloghurst Pines 22
aml1014 Pines 26
P Wanted to buy 1
jedge76 Pines 23