Kotobuki, upright

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I will remove the front facing branch on the second branch. I have been waiting to get the backbudding I wanted, and I think I am happy now.20200627_114808.jpg20200627_114817.jpg20200627_114723.jpg

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks really nice now ! I wonder if the apex is too acute which makes the tree looking young.
However, you did an excellent work.
Thụ Thoại

You are 100% correct! The empty side to the right is due to the removal of my sacrifice branch. Hopefully things will continue growing and ramifying, and it will mature gracefully. If I have half of the success you more experienced artists have, I will be one happy dude!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You are 100% correct! The empty side to the right is due to the removal of my sacrifice branch. Hopefully things will continue growing and ramifying, and it will mature gracefully. If I have half of the success you more experienced artists have, I will be one happy dude!
Thanks for thinking of me highly!
I have a quick fix if you don’t mind. If this tree belonged to me, I would remove the circled top.
0749523D-27C2-41E4-B2E8-8F0E248873A3.jpeg

Thụ Thoại

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beauty! Now I will have to sit with tea tonight, and stare at this tree for a while.👍
Hahaa. Thanks. The tea might help you see thing more clearly and calmly!
Don’t be rushed! 😊
Thụ Thoại

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this one finally got it's first ceramic pot. I really realized these kotobuki don't add girth to their trunks, so I figured it was time to enjoy it in a bonsai pot. @bonhe I am really thinking about shortening it, as you mentioned. I think long term it will work better withthe skinnoer trunk, and create a more rounded apex. It reminds me of something Colin Lewis said about people always making the mistake of thinking you need a "leader" for your apex, when really the apex is built with branches. I am happy with where I have gotten this tree in the few years I have been working with it, really shows how real prebonsai merit their price.20210214_090417.jpg20210214_090453.jpgScreenshot_20210214-092105_Samsung Internet.jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, I like to ruminate over a tree with the help of some "leaves"....;)😆😆😆😆

Apex does seem a touch "pointy" at this point....maybe after a few years a few additional shoots up there might "round" the image a bit?🤔

Agree a bit less height might add a little impact for a relatively thin trunk, but might make the lowest branch seem a little high as opposed to now.:cool:

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this one finally got it's first ceramic pot. I really realized these kotobuki don't add girth to their trunks, so I figured it was time to enjoy it in a bonsai pot. @bonhe I am really thinking about shortening it, as you mentioned. I think long term it will work better withthe skinnoer trunk, and create a more rounded apex. It reminds me of something Colin Lewis said about people always making the mistake of thinking you need a "leader" for your apex, when really the apex is built with branches. I am happy with where I have gotten this tree in the few years I have been working with it, really shows how real prebonsai merit their price.View attachment 354504View attachment 354505View attachment 354506
Good morning Wilson.
It looks really nice in the pot! Well done!
I hope you will make a good decision about the apex 😊
Thụ Thoại

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This tree IS still young! It’s too early in it’s life cycle to be worrying excessively over the apex. You need to get the branch structure and other fundamentals set first.

This is a formal upright, yet, it’s planted at a slight angle. And then, the apex introduces a small but noticeable bend. And, you potted it with a mound.

It’s an excellent Formal Upright, and trying to make anything else out of it is a waste of good material. Straighten the apex by using a piece of rebar to tie to the trunk so you can train the apex to be straight. Repot it so that it’s not leaning like the Tower of Pizza. And have no mound in the soil.

Top Bottom