Kozan Satsuki

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I recently picked up this nice compact Kozan Satsuki. I've been eyeing these for a few years, but never found one that I had to have that wasn't a monster tree. This one is certainly big enough and impactful. I can't wait to see it flower. I wanted a Kozan as they are said to be a bit easier, and I love the simple flowers. The small leaves are a bonus! This will look great even out of flower. I would love to find a good book about these, but seems like they don't really exist (unless you want to spend as much on a book as a tree, lol) I'm going to hit Brian up for some info he has and I've been reading a lot about what to do when...

I will look for a new pot this winter for this, I'm not a huge fan of drum pots. I like the idea of a square with rounded corners, something like the pot I've attached, but without a flared lip. This pot is a Rayner, so I'll probably put this up for sale. It's 15" outside dims., would trade if anyone has anything like what I'm looking for. I would do a dull darker blue with this if I go glazed.

I'll be looking for info if anyone has blogs to point me at!
P1020507.jpgP1020509.jpgP1020510.jpgP1020511.jpgP1020513.jpgs-l1600.jpg

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mmmm, nice one! I'm thinking more and more about adding a satsuki to my collection, I think I'd prefer one with more color to the flowers but nothing really fancy or frilly. Looking forward to seeing this in bloom!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
more color to the flowers
I figure that if I really wind up liking this species, I'll get into the more colorful ones as well. I like the single flower types much better than the frilly edge and doubles too.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very impressive trunk and root character!! Crown area looks "awkward" in the last two photos...is that the back image?

Not a Rayner fan?

Wow, thick trunk surely looks the part..girth galore!!

Nice.:cool:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very impressive trunk and root character!! Crown area looks "awkward" in the last two photos...is that the back image?

Not a Rayner fan?

Wow, thick trunk surely looks the part..girth galore!!

Nice.:cool:
The second set of photos is the back of the tree as far as I'm concerned, the other side has a much better image for now. This is not a finished product, it was listed as a rough import. It does need quite a bit of work, but that's fine with me. I think with time the "back" could work as well.

I like her pots, but have never been a huge drum pot fan, unless on the exact right tree. (not this one)
Thanks!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Wow that is chunky! Nice score. The pot you found is a good match if the size is right, but the lip might be a bit too big. In Japan they show azaleas mostly in unglazed pots reserved for pines; especially fat daddies like this one. Gray (udei) clay will be better than the red clay for the pale pink flowers of Kozan. That said, all 3 of my azaleas are in gaudy glazed pots!

I’ll get the scanner fired up.:p

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow that is chunky! Nice score. The pot you found is a good match if the size is right, but the lip might be a bit too big. In Japan they show azaleas mostly in unglazed pots, especially these fat daddies like this one. Gray (udei) clay will be better than the red clay for the pale pink flowers of Kozan. That said, all 3 of my azaleas are in gaudy glazed pots!

I’ll get the scanner fired up.:p
Yeah, thanks in advance for that...

I suppose you can see what kind of development this is in, so anything that will take me from here to "there" would be great. Mostly timing stuff. I'll tap Owens brain on this one hard during our study group sessions.
I really really like the unglazed for these, if I can find the right pot. The one you got from Kei comes to mind.... what was that maker? Gyozan?
I think the lip on the pot I posted is too big for this tree, if it were not as wide, I think it'd be perfect.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Great pick up, Judy! The gnarly trunk and rootage are fantastic. Fwiw, I kinda like the pot it's in... rugged pot for a rugged tree... and the round lets you show it from different vantage points. With that being said, I could see this one in either a nice glazed or unglazed simple rectangle with rounded corners.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Well that's a big one. I have a couple shohin and actually both are blooming right now. And a regular rodie, there a fun species and very ez to work with. Very nice pick up

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great pick up, Judy! The gnarly trunk and rootage are fantastic. Fwiw, I kinda like the pot it's in... rugged pot for a rugged tree... and the round lets you show it from different vantage points. With that being said, I could see this one in either a nice glazed or unglazed simple rectangle with rounded corners.
Yeah, I'm glad I waited to find one this cool. And it's pretty perfect size wise. I think the pot is ok, but I think it could be better... and Bill doesn't like it of all things! He hates the rivets, and he usually doesn't have strong opinions like that... so that's basically an invitation to go pot shopping! Can't pass that up :D

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well that's a big one. I have a couple shohin and actually both are blooming right now. And a regular rodie, there a fun species and very ez to work with. Very nice pick up
It's fat, but not tall, only 14", glad to hear they can be easy. I hear they will bud back like crazy.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Vin, I've been lucky to be at the right place at the right time...
Hey, just a thought. Sam Miller has a really nice clay he uses for his unglazed pots that has a hint of blue in it. It may work for your Kozan.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Yeah, thanks in advance for that...

I suppose you can see what kind of development this is in, so anything that will take me from here to "there" would be great. Mostly timing stuff. I'll tap Owens brain on this one hard during our study group sessions.
I really really like the unglazed for these, if I can find the right pot. The one you got from Kei comes to mind.... what was that maker? Gyozan?
I think the lip on the pot I posted is too big for this tree, if it were not as wide, I think it'd be perfect.
Yes, Gyouzan. The one you posted looks like one too, and if the canopy extends beyond the pot, I don’t have a problem with the lip. His clays have good color and texture. I prefer the gray-brown for the azalea and the red-brown more for Shimpaku. The difference is subtle, gray one is left, the one from Kei is right.

I’ll check on some articles and try to get some sent to you in the next few days.

Attachments

• E11A9AC0-F962-4D08-8119-BFBB7E1273BC.jpeg
    E11A9AC0-F962-4D08-8119-BFBB7E1273BC.jpeg
    280.7 KB · Views: 43

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yes, Gyouzan. The one you posted looks like one too, and if the canopy extends beyond the pot, I don’t have a problem with the lip. His clays have good color and texture. I prefer the gray-brown for the azalea and the red-brown more for Shimpaku. The difference is subtle, gray one is left, the one from Kei is right.

I’ll check on some articles and try to get some sent to you in the next few days.
Thanks!:)
no rush.
The one I posted looks to be the grey type?

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice purchase! I can imagine how nice it must be to sit in the yard, and gaze over all your great deciduous trees.

Top Bottom