Kozan Satsuki

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have a few small ones in the ground that currently blooming.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It may be that I simply cannot recognize this late blooming buds, but I recall Brian Van Fleet saying
Kurume bloom first, then grow...in early April here.
Kurume has multiple flowers on each bud, like rhododendrons.

Satsuki grow first, then bloom...in mid-late May here.
Satsuki are usually one flower per bud
which got me to thinking. Since flower buds are just metamorphosed vegetative buds, how do they grow first? Of course, the obvious answer is that it is growth from axillary buds - I'll have to watch more closely.

Say, HOW ABOUT THAT SARA RAINER POT!!!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@just.wing.it
Your gumpo pink, and Satsuki should have buds by now, you are in Maryland. Gently squeeze terminal buds, you can feel the flower bud even if the leaves are hiding the bud. Emphasis on gentle.

If you really have no buds, you pruned too late in the growing season. If you have more than a month before first frost, there's a chance that buds may still form. Next year quit pruning earlier, I usually stop pruning by beginning of July. However I have a shorter growing season than you.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
@just.wing.it
Your gumpo pink, and Satsuki should have buds by now, you are in Maryland. Gently squeeze terminal buds, you can feel the flower bud even if the leaves are hiding the bud. Emphasis on gentle.

If you really have no buds, you pruned too late in the growing season. If you have more than a month before first frost, there's a chance that buds may still form. Next year quit pruning earlier, I usually stop pruning by beginning of July. However I have a shorter growing season than you.
Yes, I was thinking back, after I got home yesterday, and I think I definitely did prune the Satsuki back hard, can't remember if it was before or after blooms though...
The Gumpo also got some trimming, but I had been trimming this one a lot the previous years, so it has never made a bloom in the 2.5 years I've had it...but I thought that since I definitely killed it's chances this year, by pruning too late last year, that I could develop buds this year, for next year's bloom by pruning earlier...
Is that too hard to follow?
Does it even make actual sense?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, I was thinking back, after I got home yesterday, and I think I definitely did prune the Satsuki back hard, can't remember if it was before or after blooms though...
The Gumpo also got some trimming, but I had been trimming this one a lot the previous years, so it has never made a bloom in the 2.5 years I've had it...but I thought that since I definitely killed it's chances this year, by pruning too late last year, that I could develop buds this year, for next year's bloom by pruning earlier...
Is that too hard to follow?
Does it even make actual sense?

Wait and see, you still have a while where buds could differentiate. If they have enough time, long enough growing season, they will form buds.

I'm actually going to go through and remove a large proportion of the flower buds, as my Satsuki are in early phases of being trained. I keep just enough flower buds to keep my interest in growing Satsuki, but eliminate more than 2 thirds. When I think they are ''good enough'' to show, those years I'll keep the majority of the flower buds.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Satsuki should have buds by now, you are in Maryland. Gently squeeze terminal buds, you can feel the flower bud even if the leaves are hiding the bud. Emphasis on gentle.

I was not paying attention until I read that. What I thought was a late flush of small leaf is buds on my Satsuki - when small that look very similar but I just checked them all and it is as you said. At least 5 varieties and all are the same.
Never paid attention and I have grown quite a few over the years, just know they bloom :p Glad you pointed it out, now I have something to worry about next year, LMAO :)
Funny too as a week or two ago I was showing Crystal that the Rhododendron are really showing more buds then usual but hell I guess it is because I can see those from six feet away.
Honest though, most all plants I have toss blooms whenever they feel like so it is probably why I pay it little attention.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had fully formed flower buds on mine for a month now, I'd guess.

Looking very closely at mine today and recalling what they look like in May here I would say they are 1/8th that size. I do admit I never paid it much attention but I honestly just guessed they threw buds early Spring here and bloomed later. Thank you also, for bringing it to my attention.

Grimmy

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the new pot. It's a bit overwhelming currently for the tree I think, but I plan on expanding the canopy. I think once I get the canopy spread out and taller, the combo will be more fitting. Love the shape with it though...
I agree. Needs a larger canopy.

Its young and should grow into those jeans :D

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Blooming, I'll let the pics do the talking. It's difficult to get the light right to make the blooms look like they do in person, and also show off all the ridges and movement on the trunk and roots.
P1020871.jpgP1020872.jpgP1020873.jpgP1020874.jpgP1020875.jpg

Top Bottom