Kumquat anyone ?

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My dear neighbor gave me a citrus called kumquat. Like a cross between a lemon or orange. Wifey said she didn't want it to plant it ( I didn't have the heart to refuse it ). I know citrus don't make good bonsai material, but I think I could make an experiment here. Has anyone tried to make bonsai out of citrus trees ? Any success ? It didn't cost me a cent. I'll post pics as soon as I get home. I'm on a party-drinking mission right now. Cheers !

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think having a good trunk (like most bonsai) to start with is essential. What does yours look like.? Can you put it in a planter? Free is always good. If I could find one that was more than a twig I'd buy it.

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think having a good trunk (like most bonsai) to start with is essential. What does yours look like.? Can you put it in a planter? Free is always good. If I could find one that was more than a twig I'd buy it.
One side is almost dried up. My neighbor had it leaning against a tree in that particular branch. I'm planning to chop that branch. I'll post pics when I get home.

makarovnik

Mame
Reaction score
My grandparents have one in there backyard. When we were kids we ate the fruit. They are not bad either just more seed than fruit.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We just had a discussion about citrus on another thread. I am currently in the process of air-layering a calamondin for possible development as a bonsai. Do you know what kind of kumquat? Some have very small fruit - and in fact some are actually quite rare and valuable cultivars here in the US. Good luck finding a "Golden bean" kumquat (Fortunella hindsii)- at least here in the US.

image013.jpg

MrBeto

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We just had a discussion about citrus on another thread. I am currently in the process of air-layering a calamondin for possible development as a bonsai. Do you know what kind of kumquat? Some have very small fruit - and in fact some are actually quite rare and valuable cultivars here in the US.

View attachment 148187
It still has the label. I think she got it from Lowe's, but never planted it. That's why one side it's almost dried up due for leaning on a tree. I'll post pics when I get home. If you could like, draw a virtual chopping, that'd be awesome !

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If they air layer at all this would be an excellent candidate for having 2 different trees! Especially since you would now have 2 different types of kumquat.

Top Bottom