Kumquat... fortunella hindsii

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I
No grow lights then...sounds like they might sulk less from something like that. If you ever contemplate a tweak.

Yeah, I spoke with Scott Lee another northerner who I've got things from. His kumquats go with tropicals. A few cold nights here and there. But not consistent cold he said.
would think you would keep a set artificial light cycle on your evergreen trees during wintering? It’s something I’ve read, but I don’t do it so I’m in the dark. Lol no pun intended.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I

would think you would keep a set artificial light cycle on your evergreen trees during wintering? It’s something I’ve read, but I don’t do it so I’m in the dark. Lol no pun intended.
I don't turn my lights on until spring. I have blinds...the upper part of my greenhouse is windows that I don't block.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cold hardy in ground verses pot is what Scott was saying. They can take cold...for sure.

Still my greenhouse is colder than what it says to allow them to go.
One small error: the pectin is in the seeds which is inconvenient.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thank you for the responses on wintering it because I genuinely didn’t know all this. The reading I’ve done on cold frame projects out of curiosity was mostly enclosed designs with lights for their evergreens plus you said it’s a greenhouse not a cold frame lol. I have so much to learn and while heavy wintering isn’t a concern every bit of knowledge helps!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for the responses on wintering it because I genuinely didn’t know all this. The reading I’ve done on cold frame projects out of curiosity was mostly enclosed designs with lights for their evergreens plus you said it’s a greenhouse not a cold frame lol. I have so much to learn and while heavy wintering isn’t a concern every bit of knowledge helps!
You are florida though. I wouldn't stress the inner workings of such things.

Mine is a repurposed gazebo into a cold greenhouse. My satsuki don't get artificial light through winter.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Funny how things make it to ones bench...I assumed these needed to winter in a tropical room. Being citrus... Yeah, didn't do any research...just assumed when I seen a friend add one to their collection. I am very happy with the few tropical I do own. But I'm full. Could I add more, yes...but they are a lot more work come winter than my dormant trees. Those dormant trees makes me appreciate the lazy days of winter.

Had one reach out to me to ask to see a companion planting I had...Matt O had sent him my way. Ended up talking trees...and he mentioned this species. I stated...I have no room for more tropical. That's when he said...I'm pretty certain your winter set up that it could winter in there...I paused...and then sent Jason a message asking him. So that was how I ventured down the path in acquiring a kumquat. All in one days time. But honestly...I needed some retail therapy. Lots going on here...that I can't get into.

This article/blog on kumquats...one actually mentions keeping it in a cold greenhouse. That is refreshing since that is the plan with the one coming in this week. I really want no more tropical to deal with. I prefer lazy winters of dormant trees. Not that I don't love my tropical...but, those with large collections in colder climates...are extremely dedicated...and I commend them.

Just curious...seeing a few with kumquat here. How you go about wintering yours. Jason Schley said they can winter easily in my cold greenhouse. I've read they do well with dormancy. So I'm not really concerned. Just curious...I know another northerner who will winter his with the tropcial. So it will be interesting to see how two different directions of wintering...how the tree reacts come spring.

An article of one wintering in a cold greenhouse. This made me just feel, that I got this. New species...is like a new side path...of learning.

Not surprising to many...that this one has ended up on my bench. Quirky...for sure.
View attachment 324702

View attachment 324703

Beautiful little tree! Any way you can point me to a direction to get one like that not a nursery stick? I would really appreciate it. Thank you. Tommy

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Beautiful little tree! Any way you can point me to a direction to get one like that not a nursery stick? I would really appreciate it. Thank you. Tommy
She got it from Schley’s! I want to make the drive to go wander now!

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
You are florida though. I wouldn't stress the inner workings of such things.

Mine is a repurposed gazebo into a cold greenhouse. My satsuki don't get artificial light through winter.
My more tropical trees may require some protection though. So seeing what you all do and reducing to maybe 10% could be of use to me! 🤣🤣🤣

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you Tommy.
Jason has a lot of character kumquat. He is also on Facebook. But you can contact him through his site.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My more tropical trees may require some protection though. So seeing what you all do and reducing to maybe 10% could be of use to me! 🤣🤣🤣
My Florida friend had a bad experience with a greenhouse she got for the cold nights in winter. Warm winter days it got far to hot. Cooking her trees. So be careful.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Most commercial citrus in FL require almost freezing to freezing air temps to trigger something or the other. Hard freezes will destroy fruit and very hard will destroy buds. But they need cold nights those cooooold nights (by my southerner standards!) to produce fruit properly. I’m not sure on your winters up there but from what I’ve read about cold frames and wintering practices the goal is to keep them just above freezing in the depths of winter which is good enough for most citrus. They will need Plenty of light as technically they’re evergreen shrubs.
I don't mean to argue, but I had a Calamondin orange that would flower and set fruit in the winter, indoors. Never got below 65 degrees.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
I don't mean to argue, but I had a Calamondin orange that would flower and set fruit in the winter, indoors. Never got below 65 degrees.
Interesting. I wonder if the non commercial citrus are different? Or maybe it’s a flavor thing?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if the non commercial citrus are different? Or maybe it’s a flavor thing?
The Calamondin oranges are very tart, not at all like a regular orange. Maybe that's why the squirrels never bothered them.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you Tommy.
Jason has a lot of character kumquat. He is also on Facebook. But you can contact him through his site.

Thank you so much, he's not showing any for sale on his online shop so I emailed him.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
My fortunella hindsii were kept outdoors all year in SoCal. Never a hard freeze but plenty of nights in the high 30's/low 40's. Gave two away to friends when I moved, but I still have two here in NoCar and they are thriving. I am planning to give them winter protection... but what that is exactly I haven't decided at this point.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My fortunella hindsii were kept outdoors all year in SoCal. Never a hard freeze but plenty of nights in the high 30's/low 40's. Gave two away to friends when I moved, but I still have two here in NoCar and they are thriving. I am planning to give them winter protection... but what that is exactly I haven't decided at this point.
Thanks Greg. Appreciate your input as well, this will be going into the tropical room. My climate is just to cold...along with my cold greenhouse to cold. Its a quirky piece...so, I did have a friend volunteer to reimburse me and drive over to Jason's and keep it for herself. Which was a nice of her...and Jason still had a sale. But...with the new area for wintering my bougainvillea taking shape...it should fit. It won't be large enough to go mad crazy buying up tropical. But for this small tree. It should be enough. Still amazed my husband okayed the setup. He said no to it early on. But he looks at the bougainvillea cascade and said...gotta keep it happy. Order what will keep it from sulking like last winter.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in zone 5b, it gets to -15 F or -25 C, regularly in winter, and rarely, but occasionally down to -20 F which is -29 C.
I use a well house to winter my trees, it hovers between 0 C (32 F) and +4 C (40 F). It has no light, I do keep a fan running in there. I winter many species "in the darK" and it is truly dark, as there are no windows and it is entirely underground. I successfully winter JBP, Satsuki azalea and for many years Pomegranate in the cold, without light. If you can keep temperatures below 40 F, you do not need to have light. The plant's metabolisms will be slow enough that the presence or absence is not a problem. If I were to winter trees like pomegranate in warmer temperatures, it would need light. But if you can keep it below 40 F, or 4 C, you really don't need light.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm in zone 5b, it gets to -15 F or -25 C, regularly in winter, and rarely, but occasionally down to -20 F which is -29 C.
I use a well house to winter my trees, it hovers between 0 C (32 F) and +4 C (40 F). It has no light, I do keep a fan running in there. I winter many species "in the darK" and it is truly dark, as there are no windows and it is entirely underground. I successfully winter JBP, Satsuki azalea and for many years Pomegranate in the cold, without light. If you can keep temperatures below 40 F, you do not need to have light. The plant's metabolisms will be slow enough that the presence or absence is not a problem. If I were to winter trees like pomegranate in warmer temperatures, it would need light. But if you can keep it below 40 F, or 4 C, you really don't need light.
Yes...my grow lights don't come on until spring arrives for my trees. I have shades...because it's a repurposed room. But...the kumquat looks to not like those 35F for long term. Is what I'm hearing. Sounds like an ideal set up you have.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes...my grow lights don't come on until spring arrives for my trees. I have shades...because it's a repurposed room. But...the kumquat looks to not like those 35F for long term. Is what I'm hearing. Sounds like an ideal set up you have.

I was not suggesting you change anything you do Darlene. Your set is great, and works well for you, don't change what you do.

I was just throwing out my experience with wintering trees in the dark, for the question about whether light was needed, that was way back on page one of this thread.

Key for wintering in the dark, you must keep the temperature below 40 F. If the temperature creeps up to 42 F, or 5 C, the plant will begin metabolizing enough that it will begin to burn sugar reserves at a rate that more than a couple weeks at these slightly higher temperatures will begin to noticeably drain the vigor of the tree. So when it comes to darkness, temperature matters. If you are fortunate to have light in your wintering area, that is great. It will be of some benefit, especially if you are not able to keep tight control of temperature.

Top Bottom