Kunio Kobayashi doesn't like broccoli any more...

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Thanks a lot, @AlainK .
Very interesting and inspiring.
I can understand perfectly his reasoning.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ale ain.

the shimpaku. looks way more beautiful.
Obviously a very talented man.

My problem is the make money / win prizes and
then have a revelation.

Perhaps,- I donated all the extra $$$ to an orphange
joined a monastery and taught others the way.
His words come off too contrived.
Oh well it is a hobby.
Thanks for sharing.
Good Day
Anthony

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Oh you're right... I forgot all about Keyser Sozi, Fantastic movie... I think Kobayashi was actually Keyser Sozi...

Last edited:

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It seems Kunio Kobayashi doesn't like broccoli any more
I also see he has left the bark rough. The video appears to be from 2015. I wonder if it has been shown in any of the major shows since then and if he left the bark uncleaned?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Having juniper bark cleaned or leaving it uncleaned is a matter of personal taste.

But, there are good reasons for cleaning it. First off, flaky bark is a good place for insects and molds and algae to grow. Removing the bark removes the hiding places, and you’re likely to have a healthier tree.

Clean junipers usually have a cinnamon color (depends upon the species) that contrasts nicely with the deadwood. Ah! But it’s “not natural”! Wrong! If you go into the mountains, you will see that the live bark is relatively smooth, and brown! The harsh winds and driving snow exfoliates the bark. Naturally! The flaky bark persists in our gardens because we provide a more protected environment, which is NOT the natural habitat for mountain junipers.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Having juniper bark cleaned or leaving it uncleaned is a matter of personal taste.

But, there are good reasons for cleaning it. First off, flaky bark is a good place for insects and molds and algae to grow. Removing the bark removes the hiding places, and you’re likely to have a healthier tree.

Clean junipers usually have a cinnamon color (depends upon the species) that contrasts nicely with the deadwood. Ah! But it’s “not natural”! Wrong! If you go into the mountains, you will see that the live bark is relatively smooth, and brown! The harsh winds and driving snow exfoliates the bark. Naturally! The flaky bark persists in our gardens because we provide a more protected environment, which is NOT the natural habitat for mountain junipers.
As an example, look at the color of the live vein on this juniper in the mountains:

CEDE3A98-7E76-4212-A172-330D0B1F9C2A.jpegA447B65D-B902-43CA-AE31-5F0771B0BBA4.jpeg

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

How do you think this taste is reflected at the major Japanese shows? Are there junipers shown with rough bark?

You make a good point on the bark in harsh environments. I like both styles, as appropriate for aesthetics of the individual tree.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score

It's not natural for Sierra juniper to have blue foliage!😄

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How do you think this taste is reflected at the major Japanese shows? Are there junipers shown with rough bark?

You make a good point on the bark in harsh environments. I like both styles, as appropriate for aesthetics of the individual tree.
unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to attend any Japanese shows. But I’ve seen lots of pictures, and pretty much all of them have the bark cleaned.

My tree that won BIS at the Shohin Exhibition, had a Japanese judge, and he said it was “the look” that they strive for: well manicured, but not “too stiff”. The bark was cleaned, but it didn’t look freshly sanded and oiled. The lime sulfur wasn’t too stark white. He said it “looked very natural”.

AB334E9A-99E3-43A6-81CE-AAD400548155.jpeg

Granted, you can’t see much of the live vein, but it’s smooth, not flaky.

Here is a wild Sierra with similiar jins sticking out of the canopy;

E73DDD0B-2252-4230-9471-9DC529601DFE.jpeg

3C25C2F1-0C81-41ED-BA9D-4811043115EB.jpeg

Top Bottom