Kusamono

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just a few grasses, moss, and sedium in a Horst pot.

Attachments

• willheath_Kusamono_001.jpg
    willheath_Kusamono_001.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 179

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The color of the legs seems a little bright to me. Otherwise I think this is really interesting and different. Is the cutout or depression that the foilage is planted in a clean square? Or oval?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The color of the legs seems a little bright to me. Otherwise I think this is really interesting and different. Is the cutout or depression that the foilage is planted in a clean square? Or oval?

Yes, I tried using sedium that had a pinkish underside to bring the leg color into play, slightly unsuccessfully. The cut out of this pot is a clean rectangle.

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice. Just makes me think of all the things I don't think about with bonsai. Thanks for sharing it with us.

For the record I like the legs, color and all.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
I like it Will....I think I might paint the legs of that pot or like you said maybe find a small succulant with some red in it... I have a few succulants with red laying around if you are interested in some cuttings and want to try it out. Remind me and I will take some pics.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
....I think I might paint the legs of that pot or like you said maybe find a small succulant with some red in it...

Of course, the flowers were also a consideration when deciding to use this particular pot. I think they kind of tie it all together....

Will

Attachments

• Kusamono_closeup_002.jpg
    Kusamono_closeup_002.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Kusamano_600.jpg
    Kusamano_600.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 85
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The hardest part is deciding which flowers to leave and which to remove. Typically, since the flowerrs are tall, if used as an accent, only one flower should remain if they reach above the stand surface the bonsai is displayed on. Of course, as a Kusamono, this does not matter as much, but this shoots up so many flowerrs that they still need to be thinned for visual appeal.

Will

Behr

Yamadori
Reaction score
Stunningly beautiful...I love the pot, but then too I love most all of the 'artistic creations' of Mr. Horst...Although his work is usually not what most 'purists' prefer, I believe this is what I like most about his work...It does not conform to 'tradition', it is new, it is unique, it is exhilarating and refreshing rather than subdued and boring...The choices you have made for the planting are very complimentary to the overall beauty Mr. Will, yet they do not compete with the beauty of the vessel...They do not distract from one appreciating the artistry of the whole image...This is art...Thank you for sharing...

Regards
Behr

:) :) :)

Last edited:

R_F

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The legs of the pot work much better with the design when the sedum is in flower. Very nice arrangement.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The legs of the pot work much better with the design when the sedum is in flower. Very nice arrangement.

Thank you.

I chose the pot specifically because of the legs, with the flower color in mind. It only looks the best when the plant flowers, but fortunately this species has a long flowering period.

Will

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I particularly like it with the flowers. Reminds me of uncle martin :). How stable are these arrangements? Do they last a season? a year? more?

Attachments

• unclemartin.jpg
    unclemartin.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 21

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nicely done Will. How old is the planting and what is your winter care for something like this?

Bob

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I particularly like it with the flowers. Reminds me of uncle martin :). How stable are these arrangements? Do they last a season? a year? more?

Nicely done Will. How old is the planting and what is your winter care for something like this?
Bob

Thank you.

This is its second winter. The first growing season required quite a bit of constant thinning, as the plants grew quickly. However, once the roots filled the container, the growth rate slowed down and it became more manageable. I mainly cut chunks of the plants out, including roots, using a scalple and then backfilled the holes with soil. This gave me "plugs" to plant for future creations and created room for growth. Basic pruning techniques keep it in shape.

I let the flowers grow wild and then trim back to a visually pleasing number when I show them, or when I am in the mood. ;)

My Kusamono and accents are placed on the ground between my bonsai over winter here in zone 5/6 Michigan. They stay covered with snow all winter long, so they are well insulated and get a dose of water whenever it warms up enough for the snow to melt. They, like the bonsai, are protected from the north and west winds.

I have posted some hostas here, that are treated in the same manner.

Will

Last edited:
Top Bottom