Kyoto Moss

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
So I found a package of Kyoto Moss Spores which came with some of the stuff from the bonsai neglector that I rescued a couple nice trees from.. Hopefully they pull through.. what is the best way to grow this stuffAfter it is grown, how do you plant it to bonsai soil? I have added store bought moss that eventually roots.. Same thing?

Thank's
~Don

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The best way to grow it is to throw it out :D. It will be a constant pain in the neck. It isn't native to your neck of the woods and will behave like it's in a funk--drying out constantly, failing to take, etc. The best moss to use with bonsai is the moss you collect near you that is adapted to your climate.
Collecting viable moss in the neighborhood (look in between cement sidewalk slabs or between paver bricks--the sliverish grey green stuff that look like velvet is what you're after...) is vastly easier to pluck from the ground with a spatula than laboring over imported mostly dead moss spores.

"Kyoto" is mainly a marketing gimmick, sold as a $5 add-on to $35 bonsai...

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hahahaha! I really am laughin.. Good to know.. I have plenty of "trash can moss." I say that cuz I have prolly 50 square feet of it below my trasch cans.. :)

Top Bottom